Wisteria

mogs

I've had a wisteria that hasn't flowered at all for 3 years, it's growing nicely and seems to like the place we've put it but I understand that to have one that flowers often is to have a grafted one. What would I be looking for on a label please in a French garden centre to explain it's grafted.

My husband used to make films for "Gardeners' World", and was thus always getting useful tips from expert gardeners. When he asked about our wisteria that wasn't flowering, he was told it was essential to buy one WHEN IT WAS IN FLOWER, because it's the only way to be sure you haven't bought a 'blind' one.

Angela

[quote user="mogs"]I've had a wisteria that hasn't flowered at all for 3 years, it's growing nicely and seems to like the place we've put it but I understand that to have one that flowers often is to have a grafted one. What would I be looking for on a label please in a French garden centre to explain it's grafted.[/quote]

Ours was like yours, we planted it and although it grew furiously it didn't flower, then after about 5 years it burst into life I read somewhere that it can take 7 years for a young plant to begin to flower

link to RHS

• 2 months later...

Same here.  We planted one facing West (as advised by the nursery) and although it grew quite rapidly to around 8 feet it took over 5 years to flower.  Its 15 years old now and covers the whole of one side of the house, trunk is about 8 inches in diameter and it's absolutely beautiful so well worth the wait.  We planted a second one on an East facing arch and that flowered in a lesser time - it is also a much healthier looking specimen.  You can get a second crop of flowers in June/July if pruned soon after the first flowering.