Fast Ferries and B&B

Miki

I know the fast ferries are often an economic way of coming to France but spare a thought for the poor B&B owners !

This morning the fast ferry from Poole to Saint Malo was cancelled to due to conditions at sea. The people affected were told to go to Portsmouth and catch the afternoon normal ferry to Caen.

We had 2 couples call us to tell us that they would be late, around midnight or so because of this cancellation. We said OK but as they had booked meals tonight, the meals had to be cancelled.

Now one couple have just rung (just after midnight) to say they have found a hotel en route and will be staying there, as they were simply too tired to continue. Fair enough but when told that their room price will be taken for their credit card, was told that was rather unfair as it was not their fault.

One thing for sure it was not ours either and when asked if they had cancellation insurance, they said "why do we need that then". We will take the money from their cards in the morning as per the agreement we have.

I give up sometimes, do people really think we can hold rooms for them on the strength they might just turn up. It makes me realise that we might just have to continue with the credit card machine.

The greatest part of our "no show" this year (pretty low to be honest) has been the non arrival of guests whose fast ferry has been cancelled.

I agree Miki. Fast ferries are a great way of travelling but people find it difficult to accept that they are notoriously unreliable and the chances of delays, cancellations, diversions etc are very high indeed - if booking a fast ferry crossing, particularly the cheapies, one has to be aware of the possible consequences and extra expense of things going wrong. That includes things like missed appointments, extra mileage, extra hotel charges. The operators offer compensation but this is usually in the form of free meals, vouchers for crossings in future etc and no way compensate for the real costs involved, particularly if your journey is important.

I suppose it's why I always take the conventional ferries (despite being involved with the fast ferry industry in my work).

I was going to confess before, but will now. We always book cheapo hotels for that very long trajet that we have, between here and chez nous in England, around 1500kms aller simple.

The reason I do this, is that we wouldn't lose too much money if we couldn't get there and were unable to cancel.  Also, most of them will let us un-do the reservation up to 17h, so if we really know that we won't make it, will ring up before 5pm and cancel without problems.

I'm with you on this one TU. I mostly use Etap, where you can cancel up to 19h. I often check in very late and with automatic check-in I don't disturb anyone when I turn up at midnight. I also like the B&B chain when there are four of us. The 4 bed rooms use the roof space very effectively and you get a double and 2 proper single beds for €50