Guests who won't go out !!

Miki

>>As read in this thread, yes READ, some people come away to Bonk, to read, to write, to make up, to save a marriage etc etc etc. Not everyone goes away or rents accommodation to view the scenery..........<<<<

Anyone wanting to make up with me would have to do better than a B & B

If I remember correctly this thread started when a couple of police service personnel wanted to spend their time in bed. I wonder what their professional opinion would have been if Miki had gone out, leaving guests the run of the place and come back to find he had been burgled ? Or guests 'done a runner'

If you require somewhere that has someone there all day to allow for comings and goings then its a hotel you should be aiming for. Should you need to be in bed,(or in your room) after a tiring journey, sickness etc no one here is saying that they would be unreasonable and turf you out, but Miki is in a scenic area where I guess most are keen to see the sites or are about to get on a ferry (for which they will have to be out quick, smart!) People who want to encourage writers or readers will probably market their property differently.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]>>As read in this thread, yes READ, some people come away to Bonk, to read, to write, to make up, to save a marriage etc etc etc. Not everyone goes away or rents accommodation to view the scenery........[/quote]

But in business, you cannot market your accommodation purely for those you want, it takes all sorts and you will surely get them, thats the point in being flexible in business. No good stomping your feet like a child because they wont play ball........Expect the unexpected

"" If you require somewhere that has someone there all day to allow for comings and goings then its a hotel you should be aiming for. ""

Or come to mine ;-) I will co operate with my clients, not lamblast them for not following my perfect ideal. We is all diferent and have different expectaions, obviously.

I know, I started the thread !! and we will always still feel that we want people out in the day and allow us to get on with what we need to do.

Oh no it isn’t misconceived, one thing you have to realise, I know our place, I know our market, I know for the greater part why people come to us, there are varied reasons of course but to stay in, has never been one of them and only on the odd occasion (when I decided to start this thread) have we had that "person" stay here and we don’t want it and if we lose that “market” that’s OK, we won’t have to turn someone else away, as the room will be available because of the the “stayer” not wanting to stay with us…..so there you go, sorted and without loss of trade !

”….. your choice for any business and is not Hotel specific in any instace!”

Oh I am afraid it is, if you slip in to Hotel mode with a CdH will be acting illegally. What you appear to be proposing is not CdH I’m afraid

“….For the purposes of my comments and thoughts, I regard a Chambre d'Hote as a private house with a max of 3 letting bedrooms. I view anything larger as a hotel by implication that the m2 space taken over for letting accommodation ,99% of the time is more than a 50% of the total m2 of the property”

How the heck does that work out then ? I am in a circle of 8 other CdH’s. 6 French one Dutch and one British, all of us have minimum of 4 or 5 rooms, two have 6 rooms. What implication are you going on about ? The largest organisation of CdH members, by a million miles in France, is Gîtes de France and all of us around here have bigger than 50% of the house set over to letting, we are still CdH, why shouldn’t we be and what gives you your rather strange thinking ? Big houses in Brittany doing B&B are pretty common and in no way look or act like an Hotel.

How can you honestly make a living solely on B&B with 3 rooms, we all know it is impossible, so my thoughts go now to yet another person, probably using B&B as a supplementary income and offering those of us who work full time in CdH just how we should be doing it……..if I had a £…….

“….At the end of the day, having "a life" outside of your business is in your hands. It is you in total control of your bookings, set aside certain times monthly, weekly even yearly when no bookings are taken. If the property is large and therefore financially needs to be full all of the time, then it may not of been the best of choices originally”

sorry but that did make me laugh, look at this ; May, June, September, October large occupancy and often full for long periods, July & August totally full for the better part, March & sufficient trade to make it worth opening at certain times, April and early November can be very busy at certain times. (I hasten to add I am not alone on those figures, others on here have posted the same) Now, as you can see, we are pressed very hard to keep up with all that goes with changing beds for up to 15 persons each day or hopefully folks will stay longer, giving us some comfort ! but I hope you are getting my drift, oh, then evenings up to 15 eating, not occasionally but often for many days on the bounce and over the full season. Now tell me, do we earn a living by doing it correctly or do I act unprofessionally and keep shutting when things are quiet (that might be OK once in a long while) thereby possibly turning away potential regulars and by doing that, your point goes up the spout surely, hard to go the extra mile when one is shut to the very people you are meant to be open for !!

It doesn’t matter one iota what size the house is, it is all relative, a heater on in a room, breakfasts supplied, dinners given, all ex’s are akin to what you take surely !! If one needs to make a living from it, I would suggest anyone looks at a BIG house and not an apartment or a bungalow ! I have never heard anything quite so bizarre as to say get a smaller house if you can’t manage a big B&B !! Well the truth is, if we couldn’t, we would walk away and certainly not find somewhere smaller where the takings could not offer us the lifestyle we try to get. That’s OK if one has another income but not if one needs to earn enough to pay all the cotisations, insurances and a million and one other ex’s including school fees inc dinners etc.

We shut around Nov 14 and open again with demand, sometime in March. That means we need to take 12 months money in around 8 months or so of work, you cannot possibly take enough money in the way you are talking, so it does come down to the fact that you are using B&B to subsidise another income and so can say whatever you like, the real CdH’ers amongst us, do it for a living not for topping up something else. I am sorry but having done this kind of work for a long, long time here in France, what you are saying bears no resemblance to the actuality.

"........Expect the unexpected no good stomping your feet like a child because they wont play ball"

No good is it, you do not get the gist of it one bit do you, you can have all the awkward B's you want, cause I don't want them, we do more than OK without them, we are deliriously happy with the ones we do get and if the odd ones get stroppy or snotty, then au revoir, go to the sundance kids place ! no problems whatsoever, just let me know when they cart you away to the recuperation farm !

.....We is all diferent"

Flipping hell, I is disputing with Ali G, well he is from Staines and that's only just up the River from Hampton

[quote]I know, I started the thread !! and we will always still feel that we want people out in the day and allow us to get on with what we need to do. Oh no it isn’t misconceived, one thing you have to real...[/quote]

" sorry but that did make me laugh, look at this ; May, June, September, October large occupancy and often full for long periods, July & August totally full for the better part, March & sufficient trade to make it worth opening at certain times, April and early November can be very busy at certain times. (I hasten to add I am not alone on those figures, others on here have posted the same) Now, as you can see, we are pressed very hard to keep up with all that goes with changing beds for up to 15 persons each day or hopefully folks will stay longer, giving us some comfort ! but I hope you are getting my drift, oh, then evenings up to 15 eating, not occasionally but often for many days on the bounce and over the full season. Now tell me, do we earn a living by doing it correctly or do I act unprofessionally and shut, thereby possibly turning away potential regulars and by doing that, your point goes up the spout surely, hard to go the extra mile when one is shut to the very people you are meant to be open for !! "

Then it is obvously worth all of the hard work you put in, evening meals also to me do not make a B&B, it maketh a hotel.

"A life".........If you are not prepared to close, not prepared to have your property manned 24/7, your spoils are your life. You seem to have nothing to complain about to me and most readers alike I would assume......

PS-Is Forum Guru , an accolade or self invented?

".....Then it is obvously worth all of the hard work you put in, evening meals also to me do not make a B&B, it maketh a hotel"

No, it just shows me (and other I am sure) that you do not actually have a clue about how it really works here, we are actually a CdH who do table d'hote and are registered as such. We are also, as I said before, members of Gîtes de France, whose banner do you come under and what has

"A life".........If you are not prepared to close, not prepared to have your property manned 24/7, your spoils are your life. You seem to have nothing to complain about to me and most readers alike I would assume......

Quite right, most of us don't but some of us just don't want messers and you want us to take them........

"PS-Is Forum Guru , an accolade or self invented?"

Oh an accolade, couldn't invent something quite so high ranking as that, I have the diploma and gong to go with it, and wear it on special occasions when eating in 'orrible places such as Cancale.

By the way, how are you actually going the extra mile, if you won't even feed your people, who may well arrive thirsty and starving ? Seems a funny way to be helping your guests if you simply send them down the road to a resto, where at least one of them, will not able to have a nice drink. I don't mind others who don't do TdH but you have been the one who has categorically said they would go the extra mile...........

[quote]".....Then it is obvously worth all of the hard work you put in, evening meals also to me do not make a B&B, it maketh a hotel"No, it just shows me (and other I am sure) that you do not actually have ...[/quote]

" By the way, how are you actually going the extra mile, if you won't even feed your people, who may well arrive thirsty and starving ? Seems a funny way to be helping your guests if you simply send them down the road to a resto, where at least one of them, will not able to have a nice drink. I don't mind others who don't do TdH but you have been the one who has categorically said they would go the extra mile..........."

Out of context, this was refering to people stopping in their rooms.......also, as said before, a B&B is a bed and breakfast and people book accordingly. Not sure what you are trying to get at here. Obviously if people require evening meals, they will book elsewhere or be in a B&B with great local facilities at hand ;-)

" No, it just shows me (and other I am sure) that you do not actually have a clue about how it really works here, we are actually a CdH who do table d'hote and are registered as such. We are also, as I said before, members of Gîtes de France, whose banner do you come under and what has"

So, what specifically is the difference between your own business and a hotel? I still fail to see any differencs from the services offered. Is it purely down to the No of rooms offered and not the services?

Not in any way out of context, you spoke about going the extra mile in the context of offering people something more than another place and giving the guests what they want, so please…….

You keep harping on about Bed and breakfast, well that is not what we are, we are Table d’hôte ( A CdH doing evening meals).

They are very well known here in France, tonight 11 French guest out of 14 staying, ate here and they had all booked well in advance and do you know why ? Cause we do Table d’hôte and that is what many French people like to seek out. Ask anyone who does Table D’Hôte ands they will tell you, a decent percentage of their clients book with them, as they offer something that a normal CdH does not, namely Evening meals. It is sod all to do with being an Hotel, we are rigidly expected to keep to the TdH code and in no way must we act in the style of an Hotel or resto with the meals or wine (already well documented on the B&B threads)

We don’t care if the Brits know about that fact or not, our main market is with the French (funny that, us being in France an’ all !).

By you failing to know, or see, the difference between an Hotel and a CdH, really worries me, you are stating all what one must do, to gain (or lose clients) but at the end of the day, you don’t have a clue as to how all us CdH (or TdH) must act here in France, yet you are open as a B&B, so I shall ask again, who are you a member with (if at all of course, not all are) with and if not, where are you registered.

Room numbers are only one of the differences, anyone who was serious about running a CdH here would now that, you are somewhat bemusing by your lack of knowledge on the subject but full of ideas on how to run a place but have no idea about the regulations or indeed little else in fact.

Seriously, if I had been you, I would have been on here asking questions, not giving out info and poor advice that is to be honest, not of any use to anyone. Sorry to say it but one day you might look back and see how "off the mark" some of the comments you made, actually were.

Funny that, believe it or not, our first guests arrived at 8 and love our hospitality and what we offer B&B.

I mentioned the annology regarding staying in rooms to the Gentleman and he agreed with me regarding the topic this thread was started on before the "my brother is bigger than your brother" scenario started, they do not expect to have to be out all day if they choose not to. So, first customer survey report  is in.........

I have no interest in what you do, officially, I have neither looked at that option nor will I. Therefore, your comment about my lack of knowledge regarding your type of business is correct. You have educated me should I ever want to expand my B&B.

I have never suggested that going the extra mile would involve rustling up meals, just that some clients may wish and expect to be able to stay in their rooms. Not to be frog marched out to survey the scenery they may not have interest in.

My homework is done, I have two bedrooms only, not the 6 you mentioned earlier and my guests "Actually" share my house, not totally seperate part of it.

Please desist in worrying about me, for what I wish to make financially I will enjoy my time wisely and not be overstretched. You seem to have enough on your plate presently and plenty of time to spend on the net too.......Ahh! what "A life"

Just as I thought, another know all who has never done anything like it in France had his first guest in at 8 and had to ask him if he was doing it right !! Beam me up !!

"I asked the chap about staying in rooms"….oh my gawd, can you picture it “do you want to stay in or go out tomorrow” Jeepers if I asked a French person that the van would be around in the morning to take me away and have me looked at !!

All day you have been offering advice that was always worth two bob and now it comes to fruition, tonight was the night of the opening, why was I not too surprised I wonder.

Going the extra mile has always suggested to me, offering your clients as much as one possibly can and then some, that is what that term means……

You really have not a clue, you cannot answer any questions posed, just make sure you remember where you put the ferry ticket !

“My homework is done, “

Oh boy, it ain’t even started for you, you have asked no questions and have offered nowt but rubbish

"....I have two bedrooms only, not the 6 you mentioned earlier"

What’s that about, no one mentioned you had 6 bedrooms, you said 2 or 3 I believe.

“and my guests not totally seperate part of it.? "Actually" share my house,”

You will be absolutely cheesed off with that after a while, I know of too many that have slowly but surely come to hate it and sold the place on.

Yep, plenty of work makes Miki very happy but on the other hand, quite sad to know that another B&B hopeful with just two bedrooms and "big" ideas is on the slippery slope to ruin, unless as I said, you have other income but, your resistance to answer any Questions suggest another Brit whose next step will be with the CMU.

Wow, this thread has taken off again!!

Funny that, believe it or not, our first guests arrived at 8 and love our hospitality and what we offer B&B.

SunnyD, do you mean by this statement your first guest of the day or your first EVER? 

I mentioned the annology regarding staying in rooms to the Gentleman and he agreed with me regarding the topic this thread was started on before the "my brother is bigger than your brother" scenario started, they do not expect to have to be out all day if they choose not to. So, first customer survey report  is in.........

You refer to this visitor as "the Gentleman" so presumably he is not a regular visitor/friend/relative.  You cannot seriously be saying that within two hours of this "stranger" arriving in your home you told him all about this thread and asked his opinions on it?  Now that really does seem to be taking the "my brother etc" mentality to extremes, involving paying customers in your private squabbles/debates and doesn't sound at all professional to me.

I'm sorry, I'm not wishing to have a personal dig, just an honest observation on having read everything that you have said in the previous two pages about working in public relations type work and then coming out with a statement like that.  I find that truly AMAZING!

I have had many run-ins with Miki on his forum so it's not us "Gurus" sticking together in a private club, but I have to say, if this is your first guest you have an AWEFUL lot to learn I can tell you, and I'm a long way behind Miki in my CDH experience.  I think your main problem is that you are running a place in France and in France they are Chambres d'hotes and have totally separate legal rules to those of a hotel, which most certainly do not have anything to do with the size of the property, the percentage given over to guests or the number of guest bedrooms.  There are just some things you can do and some you can't.

I too started with two bedrooms, this year we expanded to two doubles, one of which could be let as a family suite with a twin room leading off it.  Next summer we will have three doubles plus the twin room.  I can ASSURE you, you MUST have your own time and space.  Perhaps if you don't intend to do table d'hotes you can be assured that your guests will have to go out in the evening, thus giving you that free time and space, but if you run a TDH property your evenings are spent entertaining your guests and thus, for the sake of sanity, you do need some time, free of them, during the day. 

I hope your B&B is a success but if tonight's guests are truly your first, it will be interesting to hear your views the same time next year or the year after, following a couple of busy seasons when you cannot call your time or your home your own.  Having said all that, it is good fun and I thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle.  I also worked in the tourism industry before for several years, in the ultimate hotel situation where guests NEVER go out...... luxury cruise ships - but as Miki said, there is plenty of staff to provide 24/7 service to customers and still allowing the workers their own free time.

[quote]Just as I thought, another know all who has never done anything like it in France had his first guest in at 8 and had to ask him if he was doing it right !! Beam me up !!"I asked the chap about stayi...[/quote]

No, I did not ask the new client immediately he crossed the "very welcome" mat, it came up in conversation over a welcoming drink of T.

Opening night here maybe, but not my first B&B, sorry to inform you that my opinions about service and customer care are not totaly unfounded as you would relish.

""....I have two bedrooms only, not the 6 you mentioned earlier""

"What’s that about, no one mentioned you had 6 bedrooms, you said 2 or 3 I believe."

This was in reference to me doing my homework re accommodation -ie-I do not have or wish to offer such vast hotel type accommodation and had not looked into it as a possibility. Therefore asking you the question re the difference between yourself and a hotel. You answered,"the number of rooms". Said for you to realise, that I would not know about your type of business as I have never enquired about them. You assume everyone should for some reason, even those not interested or anticipating opening one.

" Yep, plenty of work makes Miki very happy but on the other hand, quite sad to know that another B&B hopeful with just two bedrooms and "big" ideas is on the slippery slope to ruin, unless as I said, you have other income but, your resistance to answer any Questions suggest another Brit whose next step will be with the CMU. "

What has another income got to do with running an accommodation business????? I fail to see any corelation to this subject. If you are running a business, you run it right to the best of your ability.

I do not have another income, and as said earlier, it would of been a mistake originally to buy a property too large that would require needing guaranteed business income. People have a choice to cut the cloth to suite their needs and live with that descision.

From your terminology and use of the term "Brits" on a public forum, I get the feeling that you may well be feeling a bit of the " Not in my back yard" syndrome or " Not another offering accommodation in France".

Lets hope our businesses continue to flourish and we can all live happily ever after in the Shengen

[quote]Wow, this thread has taken off again!! Funny that, believe it or not, our first guests arrived at 8 and love our hospitality and what we offer B&B. SunnyD, do you mean by this statement your f...[/quote]

" I hope your B&B is a success but if tonight's guests are truly your first, it will be interesting to hear your views the same time next year or the year after, following a couple of busy seasons when you cannot call your time or your home your own.  Having said all that, it is good fun and I thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle.  I also worked in the tourism industry before for several years, in the ultimate hotel situation where guests NEVER go out...... luxury cruise ships - but as Miki said, there is plenty of staff to provide 24/7 service to customers and still allowing the workers their own free time. "

I am sure it will be as it is not my first letting experience and as you and Miki state, experience does count.

My seasons will not be full to bursting as I control the bookings, my premises do not need an English equivelant income for success. Buying the right property in the right place and at the right price is a personal matter and think some people run businesses that take too much out of them and their finance (a typical mistake by UK buyers in France). A sound business plan to begin with is paramount to avoid the feeling of the business running you. That said, any business takes a little more out of you than you anticipate.

Now I understand...

In the past, when we travelled in France, our family would eagerly seek out small signs that indicated “chambre” or interesting looking gites or CDH. We were always in search of that charming little inn that would make us feel at home and offer a sweet little room with a comfortable bed. Then reality would rear its ugly little head. Too often the beds were rock hard, the shower was iffy, the room lacked any semblance of care, and we rarely had a decent nights sleep. Little by little we started turning towards small family run hotels and now I realize why. In family hotels we have been welcomed by warm and gracious professional hosts, enjoyed delightful beds, had plenty of hot water and heat, and we’ve enjoyed terrific meals. But even more importantly, we were able to be independent - our decisions were not dictated by the rules of the innkeeper. Granted a hotel can be slightly more expensive but the additional privacy and independence make it well worth it in my eyes.

I don’t really know anything about the B&B or CDh business in France, but I do know about being a guest. When I’m on the road there are certain things that make me feel comfortable, and there are other things that can take all of the joy out of travelling. Feeling restricted or being made to feel guilty are big no no’s on my list. Apparently I’m not the only person who feels that way. A B&B movement started in the United States about 12-15 years ago and they were the newest thing since sliced bread for a number of years. But, their time is up. Why? You guessed it - lack of freedom, too restrictive for the guest. Now owners are selling up like crazy, that is if they can find a buyer.

So, now it seems that both the guest and the owner feel the B&B concept is too restrictive. Interesting...do you think maybe the life of the B&B is over? Perhaps it’s time to revamp the way the business runs. It’s indeed a mystery to me to know that people in the lodging business in the UK and in France are required to work such long hours. It seems either the system needs to be revamped, or there needs to be a better way to work within the system.

[quote]Now I understand...In the past, when we travelled in France, our family would eagerly seek out small signs that indicated “chambre” or interesting looking gites or CDH. We were always in search of th...[/quote]

Hi dewima

I honestly think that the system may be ok, just that the deffinitions of certain accommodation be clarified more clearly as what to expect.

As you have read, I do not hold the view that a "Paying" client should not always be expected to be out all day and therefore, I assume, I would not be alone with that thought.

People are all different and expect different things from each situation. If a hosts ideas were more clearly known there would be no need for the "feeling guilty" that some people do obviously feel.

As clearly stated by others, if someone were to be ill or need to stay n their room for certain reasons, they would not object. My reasoning is that not everyone wants to be out all day, or to go sightseeing etc etc and should be allowed the choice.

Some people think that this is not the "Norm" for a B&B business, some accommodation owners have always had this analogy, some not. I cannot speak for other types of busnesses but for me, it works and I know it is appreciated, especially in the winter months

Just a quick question - would you then leave guests in your home while you go out to shop etc? I would guess that this would invalidate most insurances. If not - then it means completely arranging your life around your guests........

I have never run a B&B - nor do I plan to - but we have stayed in them in the UK, france and all over Europe - like I said before with a B&B I expect to spend the day out and do not expect a host to be dancing attendance on me - nor sitting around their home. Also if we arrive late - we will already have eaten - a B&B isn't allowed to offer an evening meal - that's what a table d'hote does and the you need to book. I have enjoyed a cup of tea / coffee or an apero with our hosts - some of who have become friends..... funnily enough we've never had a bad experience - but we have once walked away from a place that we tried on spec because although it looked great on the outside - we didn't like the room we were offered - so politely declined to stay and moved on 

I would find having to work around guests like you're suggesting way too much - and some of what your are implying does seem to contravene the GdF code, but it's horses for courses - so best of luck to you with your B&B.

hi all!

I have been watching this thread with interest and sometimes sheer amazement! I'm not into long drawn out arguments but on this occasion I felt as though I had to acknowledge my support for Miki who has almost sole handlely fought the course for expierenced b and b owners!

Well done Miki for standing your ground and not giving in to some people who think after two minutes they can demean people with the long term expierence and motivaion that makes them a good host and buisness men/women.

Sunny D what Planet are you on? did you not research what buisness you were getting yourself into? of course b and bs do evening meals? I suggest you get the gites de France guidelines or clevacances guidelines and have a good read and then you will maybe have a idea what running a b and b is about!

You want to go the extra, stand out! we all do  but the way you are going about it you'll never get any guests!

This part of the forum is for B andB owners to discuss our buisness and get advice from each other not to pull peoples advice apart!

I would never in a million years especially when I was not a expert on the matter, pull peoples working practices to bits, we have guidelines and thats what you stick to, to be legal

Also I have found people who have no experience in the trade and don't work in it have the habit of telling us our jobs just cos they have stayed in a b and b once! I would 'nt go to your place of work and tell you your job would I!

[quote]Just a quick question - would you then leave guests in your home while you go out to shop etc? I would guess that this would invalidate most insurances. If not - then it means completely arranging you...[/quote]

I would like to be informed what I have suggested, exactly, that you think contravenes the GdF code? There is no point to your views if you do not share them properly and give the right information within its text to back your thoughts. I must have a chance to answer your claim precisely.

No, I do not leave my property unatended at any time but at the same time do not dance attendance to any guests. I live in my home, I do not view it as a workplace that I need to get away from like many others obviously do.

My partner and I share the trips to the supermarket etc when we need to go. As for a social life, our clients fullfill that need, we are out again tonight by invitation. We have no wish to get into the local expat scene for socialising, that descision was born from very early experience. Therefore we feel that we miss nothing because of our labours, we love it, strange but true

I also think the assumption here is that I have just moved to France last week, I have lived here 5 years and have all of the experience that brings.

Sunny D. Is your business actually registered with anyone ?

I am a little concerned by this, solely because I wouldn't want any new readers to be mislead

>>>My seasons will not be full to bursting as I control the bookings, my premises do not need an English equivelant income for success. <<<<<

Time and time again we get questions here about the cost of living in France and the answer, bar the original cost of the property, is that there is very little between the cost of living in France and the UK. Peoples life styles may change but that is another matter.

If your guests stay in all day, what happens at lunchtime ? Do you sit down to your lunch and ignore them, or do you provide lunch ? Or, hasn't it happened yet ?

[quote]hi all! I have been watching this thread with interest and sometimes sheer amazement! I'm not into long drawn out arguments but on this occasion I felt as though I had to acknowledge my support for M...[/quote]

This drawn out thread has been made longer because people are not willing to see or discuss sensibly any other point of view. Which is what it is, a point of view.

Firstly.....What does B&B stand for exactly, thats B&B not Td'Hote or Hotel, B&B

Bed and Breakfast. I am not talking about any other accommodation or the rules that apply to them.

My thoughts on the size of accommodation and what that should make it in my eyes etc are my own, you dont have to like them or agree with them.

" This part of the forum is for B and B owners to discuss our buisness and get advice from each other not to pull peoples advice apart! "

Neither is it to pull peoples opinions apart on other accommodation types because those opinions differ from the "norm". My opinions are up for discussion just as much as the next mans. If the idea is to agree all of the time on everthing, what a bore that would be, yet you intimate that my feelings are not welcome here. Sorry, they are here and am sure a lot of people are learning a lot from the thread. That is the idea I assume?

" Also I have found people who have no experience in the trade and don't work in it have the habit of telling us our jobs just cos they have stayed in a b and b once! I would 'nt go to your place of work and tell you your job would I! "

And if you would care to READ my previous comments you would not be assuming that I have no experience in B&B I am not trying to tell anyone there job, I believe that people should have the option to stay in their B&B accommodation all day if they choose.

[quote]Sunny D. Is your business actually registered with anyone ? I am a little concerned by this, solely because I wouldn't want any new readers to be mislead>>>My seasons will not be full to bursting as I...[/quote]

Yes, Gay, the accommodation is registered with the tourist office 300 mtrs away.

Now you are taking the suggestion of staying in all day to the extreme. The idea was that people should be out of their paid accommodation from around 10am to early evening or whenenver the owner returned from whatever they wanted/needed to do. I have never intimated that these "room" persons would not go out at certain times for a walk and for their meals.

I do not prepare food for guests at any other time, breakfast only. 

Of course if someone is ill in their room, the Doctor will be called, that stands to reason.

Sunnyd

quote ....And if you would care to READ my previous comments you would not be assuming that I have no experience in B&B I am not trying to tell anyone there job, I believe that people should have the option to stay in their B&B accommodation all day if they choose.

this comment was directed to everyone not just to you, and I had read your previous comments, that is why I felt the need to participate in this thread!

izzy,

Clearly, you take great pride in your business. Just one glance at your website lets everyone know that you have carefully thought about the needs of your guests because your CDH looks charming and comfortable. Actually, it may even be more upscale than some of us need on any given night (I mean that in a positive way). Your rooms have been given the personal touch and I’m sure that most guest are delighted by your creative touches.

“Also I have found people who have no experience in the trade and don't work in it have the habit of telling us our jobs just cos they have stayed in a b and b once! I would 'nt go to your place of work and tell you your job would I!”

I think I understand what you’re saying, but do you really mean to infer that you don’t value the opinion of your guests? All business owners want to think they are the ones in control, but aren’t we dependent on the person(s) who actually purchase or use our products? If that’s true, then doesn’t it stand to reason that the consumers input has some merit? Granted, as the owner you know your side of the fence inside and out. But what about keeping in touch with the other side of the fence, in this case with the guest. Innkeepers can easily get wrapped up in their day to day affairs and lose site of the guests perspective. So, for that reason, I would think the opinion of the guest could be helpful.

Just a humble potential guest to anywhere...

Dewima,

thankyou for your kind words,

I greatly value the opinion of my guests and have taken advice from alot of sources especially more expierenced b and b owners on this forum, however I do take offence when people (not me I may add) have had years of doing the job and know it inside out Like Miki and Coco, and their advice is demeaned, and told they don't know thier jobs. 'll give an example;

I will use nursing as the example cos that is what I was in England,

A student Nurse telling the ward Manager how to run her ward and telling her the ward she was running is a medical ward when it is a orthapedic ward, or one step better a patient who has stayed on the ward doing the same thing,

This is what it is like to some b and b owners, and thats why the ones that have gone through the starting up period and the honeymoon period and the bloody hard slog in the summer months, know what they are talking about.

Running a b and B is very hard work and you need your privicy and a few hrs off sometimes, I personally love the job however I do wish that people who book into a bed and breakfast understand the full meaning of the word  Chambres d'hotes, this implies you will be the private home of a person, and not a hotel, I must say some guests I have had have made me feel very uncomfortable in my own home, and have expected 5 star service on call 24 hrs a day which I do my upmost to give, but some people are very ungrateful, these are the people I think should use hotels, where theres no personal touch. However I must state 99% of the time the guests are fine.

There's obviously a range of expectations of a B&B / Cd'H / T'dH from both owners and guests. Do any of the owners have on their websites (assuming most bookings come via a website) an indication of what to expect from their B&B? Like Miki might indicate (nicely!) that "we're thrilled to to see you between 6pm and 10am but outside of those hours please do your own thing elsewhere". Or SunnyD (was it?) might say "our home is your home 24/7". Yes I know I'm exaggerating but you get my drift?

How do you manage customer expectations or do you generally find that you don't have to? Does anyone ever have to say to guests sprawled in a warm sitting room at 1130am on a rainy day: "I'm off out now - and so are you!"

I can't help thinking that if a B&B is comfortable, on a drizzly and dismal grey day a comfy sitting room with a good book may more enticing than a windswept, rainy Mont St Michel, especially if they're staying somewhere for several nights. It's all very well to say on Living France "well, they should have chosen a small hotel"... perhaps... but if they didn't...?