Bliss

Cassis

We love having most of our guests to stay, telling them about the region, where to visit etc.

But we have just had 3 days where we blocked out any bookings, so we could do some painting, maintenance, catch up on jobs etc. before the weather turns.  It's been fantastic!  Not really a break from work, just different - like not having to get up until we want to, for the first time in 6 months (a lie in until 8.30am - wow!) and not wondering whether the guests we've been waiting in for since 4.00pm are ever going to arrive, now it is after 9.30pm.  It's just SO relaxing, for the first time in MONTHS!

Even better, we have a couple of days off next week to go away to the coast; we're as excited about that as we ever were about any holiday in years gone by. 

Must make time for more breaks next year.

PS We have a full house for Xmas - silly or not?

Cassis

I presume you mean paying guests for Christmas rather than family.  I don't personally know about running a BB, guest house, hotel, but I think its probably a lot of hard work, I get exhausted when with have a couple of friends over for a few days.

But if it pays well and keeps the baddies from the door, well that's a good thing.

If its terrible, then don't do it again.  It may of course be fun. [:)]

Wuss.........call yerself a B&B patron. Lie ins, breakfast in bed, whatever next, close it for the winter I bet !!

We have two mini breaks in October and  then from mid Nov to

sometime in March off (when we get back from holiday !) but at under 10

years patronage,  you are starting to crack earlier than most

cassis. Not sure of your longevity in the game now, mind you I have

always thought that the best way to do B&B, was to have one in a

quite chic and expensive tourist area and only open in July &

August plus high days etc push the prices right up and bobs yer oncle.

Maximum Nine months of a year open and only a few quid less in trade !!

[quote] PS We have a full house for Xmas - silly or not?[/quote]

We did it once many years ago, never again. One; because we see Xmas as

a time for family &  friends first and foremost (we thought we

needed the money the only time we did it) and two; a whole lot will

depend on how that party see you, if you get some that believe they

have not just paid for B&B but servants as well, then no amount of

money will recompense and then again, if one doesn't really care much for

Xmas, then I guess one might as well open like any other time but get

paid a whole lot  better (you have doubled the prices ?  [:)] )

I know how you feel Cassis.  We were going to go away for a long weekend in October and I was getting really, really excited about the prospect towards the end of August but we keep getting bookings which mess it up - and as there are so many months where you may not get any I daren't turn them away.  Had a bad day yesterday, had two French enquiries; one for two rooms for this weekend and I got my dates muddled and told her I was full and we're not, that's NEXT weekend.  Then another lady phoned and asked about two rooms from 1st to 5th November.  We're gutting the dining room and putting a new floor down in November so have decided not to take any bookings, so as soon as I heard November I said no sorry, we're full.  Then afterwards I thought, you silly tart, you've just turned away 400€ at a very quiet time and what is the likelihood of us actually starting work on the FIRST?!?  So yesterday I managed to lose myself 600€ worth of business, just through lack on concentration - I need a break [:-))]

We've decided to do Christmas too but think I may have left it too late with the advertising.  Only finally got around to putting the package together at the back end of last week and starte advertising it this week.  I sent it out to all past visitors who we thought may be interested and would you believe it, an old colleague (who we get on really well with) came back last night and said, why didn't you let us know sooner, we've just booked a gite near Falaise for 5 nights over Christmas.  We'd have much rather come to you.  He and his family would have filled us - and we'd have had good fun as well as a good earner!!!!

Anyway, wuss or not, I'm having a lie-in tomorrow - no guests til next Wednesday now [B][:D]

Yawn, stretch .... ah, time to get up.  Brunch, perhaps.

Quillan - no need for a dressing gown while it's still warm!

Lori - I'm sure it'll be a wonderful couple of days, regardless of what the weather may sling at us (though a bit of sunshine wouldn't go amiss, if that can be arranged). [;-)]

Dotty - yes, paying guests of course!

Miki - I cracked up years ago, as you should know by now.  Our plan is to do until the end of next summer without closing and then decide when/whether to close in winter, based on booking patterns.  The way things have gone this year it looks like we can afford to, but frankly, it's mainly weekend bookings in winter and it's quite nice as long as we have the odd free day during the week. 

Oh dear, St. A - does sound like you need a recharge!  All we're doing for Xmas is letting the rooms to relatives of acquaintances in the village who are having people over but don't have the sleeping space for them - we had the same lot last year and they were as good as gold (i.e. we hardly saw them!). [:D]

I have to agree that in the summer we dont 'own' a dressing gown. My OH likes to don just his slippers for his early morning walk to the bathroom...make of that what you will but Im used to the sight now. Not bad actually once you get to know him...:)) Yes, it is bliss to get your place back to yourself.

[quote user="Cassis"]Goooooooodbye everyooooooooone.

We are leaving on our luxury 2-day holiday to the coast tomorrow.

Be good.  Or bad.  According to your inclination. [:D]

[/quote]

Short holidays are for wimps................. long 4 month ones are what one needs in our biz !![:)]

[quote user="St Amour"]Where did you decide on in the end Cassis?[/quote]

At this time of year there can be no better place than Maisy, near Grandcamp Maisy. 

A bit of a break, a bit of research of the Normandy Landings.

Sod the weather.  It doesn't matter.  [:D]

We had tried to sort out a short 72 hour break with my niece who has

moved to Normandy but what happens, her very lovely daughter is having

her first child this week back in the UK, so Mum obviously has to be

there.

Plan B has gone down the pan as well , good friends leaving Spain

(after just under two years) to go back to the UK and meant to be here

tomorrow for a few nights are now delaying arrival by 2 weeks, so plan

C is being planned as I type. In recent years, we have done

a bit of Normandy (staying in a G de Fr place right by the Cathedral in

Bayeux) and visited the landing beaches etc etc. We had a great private

guided tour around the Museum at Pegasus bridge.

Absolutely empty inside, so the chap from the regiment who was there,

gave us an hours guided tour and I think I learned more in that hour

about D-Day and beyond, than the previous hundred years !!

Previous short trips, have included Quimper, Concarneau, Pont Aven,

Honfleur, Deauville, even a couple of nights in Dinard !! Had thought

of Vannes but..........

Have a nice, if wet time.......[:)]

Where's Chateau SIL Alexis ? Does Sister in law have a big gaff ?

Hell, Miki.  You could have come here.  Shall I leave the door on the latch?[:D]

Vannes is nice....  Josselin is better.

SIL live in Neuphre le Chateau or somewhere like that.  Just ouside Paris.  She is known as The Duchess in the family....Apparantly it is a small village and she lives in a big longére.  She hasn't been there long but she has always lived close to Paris.  Doesn't like the country.

We have got a Parisian coming to view here Friday afternoon.  Fingers crossed!

[quote user="Miki"]We had tried to sort out a short 72 hour break with my niece who has

moved to Normandy but what happens, her very lovely daughter is having

her first child this week back in the UK, so Mum obviously has to be

there.

[/quote]

Blinkin' women.  Tch!

Good luck, Alexis - but won't such a buyer be vetoed by the neighbours? [:D]

We're off now - bye. [:)]