guests taking advantage...

Sarah, in that case if you had said 20 euros a bag I wonder if she would have walked straight back upstairs with it. I suggest you charge like a wounded bull. At the very minimum, a full bag should cost 20.  Electricity, water, detergent, add in their attitude towards you  plus your time and trouble. You do B&B, you are not a washerwoman for gods sake. Mind you, there are some I guess who would pay up without a problem. Have you seen what the IBIS charge for laundry services?. I think it is to deter people personally. By the way, I wouldn't do their underwear and I do not.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Im starting to wonder if some of these loonies are watching that bloody Hotel Inspector series with that Rambo woman with the dreadful haircut. I would like to see a show that sides with the hotel owners for a change...'Guests from Hell!'. Hows that for a title?. I feel a script coming on...

I hate to say it but sometimes when I am

reading these kind of stories, it either comes across as desperation to

please, desperate to earn a living or just plain
naivety.

B&B's are not liable for any washing at all. We will let some

guests who are staying longer than 3 or 4 days or so to do some washing

but normally the machine will have to be used in the evening and are

told to put it out first thing so that we have the lines back by mid

day or so. This will depend on the weather and our own vital need for

the machines and the lines. Others get pointed in the direction of the

two local (under 8 km's) launderettes.

I don't care much for what others do or don't do  but I always

think that if you are put out and feel put down by any

guests........don't put up with it, it really is that simple. Ask

yourself,  would they stay if they were treated as obnoxiously as

you were being treated?

Some guests, rare indeed thankfully, simply want to have the old one

upmanship on patrons, the old, them servants, us the payers, therefore

bosses syndrome.....not here it isn't. As I said, treat us well, you

get treated great, take liberties and it isn't going to go down

well..........not well at all in fact [;-)]

Miki, I concur with what you said. I have only ever done a load of washing for one couple...two very nice young men (brothers) who had been travelling round a bit and were obviously away from Mum for too long. As I say, they were very nice and were almost apologetic when they asked me. We go by the standard of if it is not offered in the service folder then it is not available. We had an English couple two years back who told us that the place would be better if the bar was functioning. We dont offer a bar service!. A beer yes, a bottle of wine yes, but never a bar. All the same, if a guest has a particular request out of the norm then whether I comply or not depends entirely on circumstance, politeness and convenience. In these cases, in the affirmative, we smile, comply, and then whack it straight onto the bill.  Nothing for nothing. We have had guests who would wipe their feet on us if we let them, but, why let them do it?. My Mum always said, as I bet all your mum's did too, that if you want something then ask nicely. I think that should apply to everyone whether they are writing the bill or paying it. Being a guest (paying customer) should never excuse you from exhibiting basic good manners. Oh god, now Im starting to sound like an old sage...

Hello,

This is the second year of running a B&B and we also have two gites.My husband and I are in our thirties and because most of our bussiness comes from the internet most people who arrive, are surprised that we are not older.

We try and make everybody feel welcome and we go out of our way to please people but now we are going to get tougher.We feel that a small amount of people think because we are younger than them they try and take over and take advantage of us.

We have felt better by reading this interesting thread and we now realize that we are not alone and many people have been through different experiences  with quests.

I also feel that we have put in alot of work restoring our lovely house and getting planning permission and converting our out buildings into gites but some of the people who stay here have no respect and we become so dishearted when on Saturday, we do our changeovers and the gites look a tip and the paint work is damaged.Please could somebody tell me how we can make our guests respect our property, without putting up loads of signs?

Sarah 

www.ivyhousefrance.com

[quote user="Sarah"]

we become so dishearted when on Saturday, we do our changeovers and the gites look a tip and the paint work is damaged.Please could somebody tell me how we can make our guests respect our property, without putting up loads of signs?

[/quote]

You should have clear terms and conditions concerning damage and the state in which the property should be kept, sent out at time of booking and published on your website.  Take a deposit to cover possible damages and cleaning (assuming you ask them to leave the gites in the same condition as when they arrive).  And enforce it.  No point in having terms and conditions and not enforcing them.

Phil

[quote user="wen"]I have only ever done a load of washing for one

couple...two very nice young men (brothers) who had been

travelling round a bit and were obviously away from Mum for too long.

As I say, they were very nice and were almost apologetic when they

asked me. [/quote]

Were they Danish by any chance? Thinking about it, I don't think

we've ever had any Danes staying. We had a rash of Norwegians in 2004

(I got some cream from tthe doctor - boom! boom!). Not sure why -

perhaps there was something on Norwegian telly about France. Either

way, we don't get many Nordics / Scandinavians. Is there a niche there

to be exploited, I wonder?

No Jon they were two guys from Texas, quite young and on their first trip overseas. We had our first Finnish guests a few weeks back ( boy, was the male half a dish!). No Danes this year though. Sarah, a certain number of the population dont give a fig about other people's property and just assume "Oh, they'll fix it when we've gone". You know the attitude, if it doesn't belong to them then they dont care. Just make it very clear that damage to the property of any kind does not go unnoticed. And yes, definately harden up.

a certain number of the population dont give a fig about other people's property

There are a surprising number of people who don't even care for their own property. Friends of ours spent £30000 on a kitchen refit, but their often said that life was too short to spend time cleaning ovens and hobs. When things got too dirty they simply had new ones fitted. So how would they treat a rented property?

I used to be surprised by how quickly commercial hotels deteriorated after refits, ripped wallpaper, chipped basins etc etc.

I think newcomers to the game underestimate how much you need to allow for "normal" wear and tear. This must be especially true if you have done things on a budget and used domestic fittings and fixtures rather than professional quality items.

I think you're right - people are always surprised to hear that we repaint our staircase each winter.  With suicases bashing the walls as people go up and down, and small hands trailing on the paint it is quickly in need of a refurb.  If we had put up wall paper it would be horribly tatty after 3 years of wear.  I for one do not understand that people put priceless antiques in gites or B & B and then spend their lives worrying about them.  We decided that although we have nice things in the rooms, there is nothing precious.  If something gets damaged/broken then it may be annoying but not heartbreaking.

The thing that really hacks me off is when people do not say if something is broken or lost or when they do something stupid like leaving the wet swimming costumes dripping onto a rug instead of asking where to hang them.  I find that many of my French guests are so afraid of 'deranging' me that they will not ask for the simplest things so will take the tooth mugs up the garden rather than ask for a glass for the bottle of lemonade they have bought.  I try to supply most things and always tell them to ask if they need anything but they still do things like put hot travel iron on wooden table rather than go down to the laundry room where there is a proper iron and board - grrrr.  I am already deranged - thank you!!!!!

[quote user="Wilko"]

Hi Jon D

Pop down to sunny Provence in February and tell me about that light zephyr the Mistral!!!!!!!!!

Rgds

Wilko

[/quote]

Just a comparison, Wilko, just a comparison. And a light hearted one at

that. I've experienced the mistral, and I've experienced a lot worse.

It is not an accident that Denmark generates so much power using wind

turbines (though they are admittadly a little obsessed by renewables -

I stayed in one place where all the toilets emptied into a methane

digester that was topped off with pig poo and then connected to the

stove. It can really put you off your breakfast that.). Perhaps the

good people of Provence are just a little thin skinned...[:)]

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We too have gites and we get many nice people to stay.  We also get the

occasional 'user'.  As our gites are quite upmarket (sorry I don't mean to

be snooooty) we do tend to get quite ‘well-to-do’ types.  Surprisingly it

is these types who are often the problem.  Inevitably you will get snobby

types in cottages in France.... it is not Ibiza … often these people have not

two pennies to rub together and avoiding paying for something is always

attractive to them.   

Onto your points...  We are very courteous and accommodating to our

guests, often we will pick up from airports etc carry people to local restaurants

etc for no charge.  We allow enough in our rates to cover the odd phone

call and few litres of fuel…..  We have

both been in the hotel business for years and realise customers do often like

the little extras. 

Unfortunately the guests do start to see these extras as

obligations and some mistake our friendliness for 'friendship'.  You would

not believe the amount of people who are even now, after years still writing to

us asking us to visit them in the UK, Canada and so on. Frankly I have nothing

in common with these people, I am a normal guy who runs a business.  I have

had photos of their children sent to me.... one woman from Scotland even sent

me poems!!!!  Fortunately my wife is trusting!!!  As for coming to

use the pool….well that has never happened but frankly I would make it very

clear to new customers that it is not acceptable by relating to them the story

you have written here.  Also try putting

a sign on the pool saying ‘for use of Existing Guests only’.

It is not just because of the guests staying but you will

find your insurance may not cover people wondering off the street… so to

speak.  I am sure that this is a one off

and cannot for a second imagine many people would have such audacity….  

On your second situation.  Basically this is theft.... pure and

simple.  I suggest you post specific rules for use of telephone.  It

should only be with you in attendance and charge for it.  I know this can

be embarrassing but often people taking such liberties are relying on your embarrassment. 

If you take a bond remove 50 euros from it and inform the thief that when the

telephone bill arrives you will deduct what is owed and forward the balance.

Cheers

D

PS

Tell you husband to calm down…  He will do himself no good getting stressed….  

Vis a viz the phone thing....

This is a copy from a BBC page (albeit some time ago)

BUT - BEWARE..it could happen here as well!

Police Report !

The reason this is working so well is it plays on your good will! Picture the scene:-

You are sitting at home and there is a knock at the door. On answering it you are confronted by a respectable looking woman in a suit, who is slightly distressed. She explains that her car has broken down further down the road and she needs to contact her husband to come to her aid. Is it at all possible to use your phone to call him?

You allow her to use the phone, but being the suspicious type you stand with her as she makes the call. She dials the number, and asks to be put through to Mr Smith / Brown / Stevens (Whatever). She holds the line for about thirty seconds. She continues, "In that case can you ask him to leave the meeting for a minute I need to speak to him quite urgently." She apologies again and explains they are getting him out of a meeting.

A couple of minutes goes by and she starts to speak to her husband. She explains the situation to him, tells him what has happened to the car, is annoyed because she now can't get to her meeting, and asks what she should do now. She listens for a few seconds and then says, "Well as soon as the meeting finishes can you come to Cardiff Road / Leicester Road / Surrey Street (Whatever), where the car has broken down. Another few seconds go by, "OK, I'll see you in about twenty minutes then." She put the phone down, and thanks you ever so much for your kind assistance, even offering you a pound for your trouble, but of course you decline, it's no trouble.

She leaves and everything is fine.

Or is it? The day or week before knocking on your door she set up her own premium rate line with a telephone company at the cost of about £150, and she has dictated that calls to that number should be charged at £50 per minute. She has dialled that number. The conversation she has had with her "husband" is entirely fictitious, there is a pre-recorded voice message on the other end to give you the impression she is talking to someone. She has been on the phone for about five minutes, that call just cost you £250, the majority of which goes into her pocket, and the first you know about it is when you get your bill a month later.

To rub a bit of salt into the wound, she hasn't even committed a criminal offence. You've given her permission to use your phone. 5 occasions in Luton where this has been reported in the last couple of weeks.

Would anyone reading th is please pass it on to friends and colleagues etc. otherwise it could cost someone a lot of money.

PC Paul Toseland

Corby Business Anti-Crime Network Administrator

Alan & Gill

She has committed an offence, namely obtaining money by deception.  The permission was given to use the phone and a court would infer the use was limited to reasonable (as would any objective bystander). The element of prior planning would also add conspiracy to defraud if she had an accomplice .... (carries 10yrs alone).

D Rhodes LLB