Finding B & B from England

poshpaul

Hi

My wife and I are looking to move to france within the next year and are looking to purchase either a propery which is already a B & B (top end!) or a building large enough to make into a B & B.  We have researched into all the necessary legal requirements and understand about the number of bedrooms we are allowed to have etc.  However I have began my search from home and are struggling to find agents which deal with businesses or buildings or this size- we dont mind putting a stamp on a property but too old to be taking on full renovation project!  We have been over and talked to a few agents but from what we have experienced they lack the effort and enthusiasm we are used to back home.  They clearly operate very different - their fee's for starters!

Can I ask you guys from who did you purchase your B & B's from - can you recommend agents who specifically deal with this sort of thing - french or english?  How you did you find yours?

We love La Rochelle/cognac/ saintes and the surrounding area but charente maritime/vendee would suit.

Thanking you inadvance

One reason you may not be able to find many properties advertised as B&B's. is that the seller is just advertising the place as 4-6-8 bedrooms,suitable for B&B. This may help them to avoid the commercial tax payable on selling a Registered business.  We have a small B&B near St.Malo. registered with the C..D.Commerce and were advised by our Notaire that if we wished to sell ,it was advisable to de-register and not trade for a complete year. The tax is apparently based on the portion of the house used for business,i.e. 1/2 and they tax the increase in property value allowing you 1/2 not used for business,presuming it's your main residence, I believe the tax payable is something like 26%. I have no doubt that a member may have more info on the exact details. As rules and regulations seem to vary from one Notaire to another and from one dept. to another.

It usually pays to get the info from the Notaire you are dealing with as we have found in the past having dealt with a few, that some are more helpful than others!!

Bonne Chance.

Regards.

[quote user="Frogslegs"]We are midway between La Rochelle and Cognac and know of three  b and b's for sale....probably more if I have time to think about it. Email for further information.[/quote]

I think that there may be a message there...................................[:)]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="Frogslegs"]We are midway between La Rochelle and Cognac and know of three  b and b's for sale....probably more if I have time to think about it. Email for further information.[/quote]

I think that there may be a message there...................................[:)]

[/quote]

[:D] [:D] [:D]

• 1 month later...

Poshpaul I have a few things to say.

Firstly that there seems to be a number of people who use this site who "KNOW IT ALL"....no one knows your circumstances or the reasons why you want to be in France.Yes...I agree that there seems to be many B and Bs in Charente...not sure about Vendee but its is a touch cheaper.

I have been planning to move here for more than ten years and I was being teased back in London .....DO IT.

So...I did.I looked at properties for years....almost everywhere....except Alsace..Pau....massive Central.....parts of Normandy..

What did I need.....I guesse tranquilty...with a POSH edge!

We have owned and operated up market restaurants ...equivalant to one star Michelin...so that is the market we know and enjoy...we aime for perfection...so we settled upon an area which embraces the indulgence of St Emillion...near to all the fine wine.We hope to "tick over"...nothing more.

Do not let others put the fear of god into you.Look to see  what your market is to be.....how much you can afford and how much you have left over.

I have lived here for a very short time but know most of the Estate agents and how they operate.I would be happy to help...why not.so get in touch .When are you planning to move?IT IS a buyers market and the UK is loosing its lustre.

[quote user="jon"]

Poshpaul I have a few things to say.

Firstly that there seems to be a number of people who use this site who "KNOW IT ALL"....no one knows your circumstances or the reasons why you want to be in France.Yes...I agree that there seems to be many B and Bs in Charente...not sure about Vendee but its is a touch cheaper.

[/quote]

Words like 'Pot', 'Kettle' & 'Black' spring to mind with that statement.......................[:)]

It's called knowledge from experience Jon. If you don't understand that I'll be more than happy to explain it for you.

If it were me I would find say a number of suitable businesses via the net and or other guides and then write to them saying you are interesested in purchasing the business and have funds available.

Running a B & B has a burnout factor people may want a change and you buy something which is up and running.

Bugbear please tell us/me about yourself....I personallly am interested to hear your story...why you are here...what you aspired for ?

What your interests .....Do you work.All this is gained from your knowledg and experience.No need to talk down Bugbear...just share your thoughts nicely.

[quote user="jon"]

Bugbear please tell us/me about yourself....I personallly am interested to hear your story...why you are here...what you aspired for ?

What your interests .....Do you work.All this is gained from your knowledg and experience.No need to talk down Bugbear...just share your thoughts nicely.

[/quote]

If that particular conversation gets started, can you do it in a new thread please?

Le Jars and othersIt is not what you do but the way you do it.

Many failed clothing shops, restaurants and immobiliers.

Yet having visited a couple of really good restaurants locally I can see why they are popular...and a few tired estate agents who lack emigination and drive.

One of the most important ingredients for success is finding style, injecting character into a premises...or enhancing it...do NOT  LET pesemists put you down.

[quote user="jon"]

One of the most important ingredients for success is finding style, injecting character into a premises...or enhancing it...

[/quote]

Actually Joan, I'd say identifing your customer base and an accurately costed business plan would be a tad more important than choosing your colour of your curtains.

It is ALL important Mr Bear.

Who, by the way has imformed you that I have not taken care of  the marketing aspect.

However I am ...as I have said before for a change in lifestyle...need to pay the bills though.Now let me guesse that at some time in your life you were an accountant.

My bank in London was always interested in buisness plans so I gave them one and then went on to follow my own path.

In the middle of a ressession I bought a restaurant ....got 105% mortgage from the bank/receiver.Once we had the restaurant of our dreams[within reason.....because the area was not so good]We did well.....even though something awful happened half way through[on a personal level]and moved on...

Look now it is time for your story 

[quote user="jon"]

In the middle of a ressession I bought a restaurant ....got 105% mortgage from the bank/receiver.Once we had the restaurant of our dreams[within reason.....because the area was not so good]We did well.....even though something awful happened half way through[on a personal level]and moved on...

[/quote]

That says a little and a lot [;-)]

What else do you think I should add......that I nearly died 12 years ago from cancer and then went back to work after 6 months.

It tells you that I work hard and do not give up.

After surgery I had various people assuming ...that I was about to leave the planet...and they told me so....so I am aware of all the negative stuff

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="jon"]

Now let me guesse that at some time in your life you were an accountant.

[/quote]

I can honestly state that in the whole of my life I've never been nor had an accountant.[Www]

[/quote]

Well you do not know what you have missed. Some years ago I told my then boss I was leaving work a little bit early