Hard Towels

mike.m

We live in a hard water area and have a real problem with hard towels which have to be replaced frequently . On the last "washing" posting water rat mentioned that eco balls with ionising properties produce soft towels . Can you advise on specific products and would this work in a hard water area ?  Any other good ideas out there ?

Thanks a lot !

We have been told that using softeners takes away the absorbancy of towels. We find drying them outside when it isn't too hot seems to make them softer (sort of midway between hard and very soft !). If they dry too quickly in the hot sun, they go hard.

We haven't got a tumble dryer....

[quote user="Clair"]I half-dry them in the dryer then hang them out. [/quote]

That's interesting as I do it the other way round - I dry them outside then finish them off in the dryer. On second reading that phrase sounds a tad grim ...

Sue [blink]

Just a thought ...

Towels go hard because they "trap" calcium from the hard water in their fibres. In essence, the towels are turning into rock. Kettles can be descaled using acetic acid. Anyone thought of soaking towels in vinegar?

By the way, do the balls work?

What about the smell?

I found with the tumble dryer you only need to do them on a low heat setting because it appears to be the action that makes the difference. We do 10 minutes on low and it works fine although the ball thing makes sense, could probably reduce it to 5 minutes. Save a few bob on the old electricity bill.