Cotton sheets bobbling

Iceni

Now I have no idea if this is the right or wrong place to post this as I seem to have lost track of what goes where and how it all works as I have been off ill (seems I chose a 'non quiet' time to be off).

Bought some nice thick 'real' cotton sheets - not the thin see-through ones or horrid poly-cotton that brings me out in a rash (and that is when I am well...) The sheets are bobbling on first use. They have been washed and line dried before use. Having lived in one room for 2.5 years while the renovation goes on and now actually have two rooms I don't have the space or find the necessity for an iron, so it is not me being excessive with the old push and shove.

Any suggestions as to how I stop it getting any worse. Now I know why they sell those little shaver like things on the trailers - for bobbly sheets.

I must admit, I am considering a disposable razor just before they are washed this week. It is only the bottom sheet, the duvet covers are perfect. All expensive heavy quality pure cotton.

The worst sheets are the expensive pure cotton 'non-iron' ones, they are not only thin, I feel like I am about to skate off them whenever I turn over. The pillowcases just do not last - 'non-iron' means 'new every few months' and it is not the washing machine as I have very old cotton pillowcases which are used as pillow covers.

Thanks

JML do a 'bobble' remover. It runs of a battery and has a round head rather like a giant mens electric razor. We bought one years ago (not for sheets) and it very good.

We have cotton sheets around 24 to be exact and they are all good quality with a tiny bit of pollyester in them and I have to say we have not had this problem. Perhaps it's more common with pure cotton. God the thought of having to take the bobbles off of 24 sheets is doing my head in.

The JML mashine was vey cheap and if you have somebody in the UK who can post it over you might like to give it a try.

You could also use - very carefully - a cheap Bic-type razor. Much better than those bobble removers.

I suppose cotton might bobble if there were a lot of short threads in the weave. I've had cotton sheets go a bit fluffy but after half a dozen washes, they've been fine.

< I can't believe I'm discussing cotton bobbles... [:-))] I must need a drink... >

I have used 100% cotton sheets all my life and I have never had a problem with bobling thats why I started using them, they should get smoother with every wash and even more comfortable, however I bought a quilt cover once that said it was 100% cotton and it bobbled now I think they either made a mistake with the label or it was brushed cotton that sometimes goes a bit rough, if you stick to egyptian cotton it should just improve with more washes. I fear there is nothing you can do. Good egyptian cotton is usually twice the price of a mix of cotton and polyester, did you pay more for them? In the U.K. Matalan have just started doing 100% cotton range of sheets, I have bought some they are fairly cheap, so I am wondering how they are going to go when I wash them I will let you know.

Not sure if we should be discussing bobbly sheets but, yes, I bought some Egyptian cotton sheets last year and they are soft, rather than smooth - and they went bobbly after one wash. I have had to abandon them to emergency family use only as they feel horrid against the skin. THey weren't particularly cheap ones - but maybe the thread count was low - the more expensive high thread count ones seem to be fine. Have found a good website selling bedding to hotels and etc if you want the link - let me know. P

• 4 years later...
No, I have never had bobbly cotton sheets.  In fact, my very oldest sheets just sort of get thin and eventually get cut up for rags.  I have some expensive cotton ones (can't remember how many thread count) from one of Harrods sales (BEFORE Harrods went all demotic) which I have in fact just put on our bed today.  They must be all of 20 years old or more.  They are indeed very smooth and still feel very thick, NO bobbles.

I bought some 400 count Egyptian thingy whatsits and they cost a fortune and were a nightmare to iron.  Then one of the last paying guests painted their toe nails in bed - with bright cerise nail polish....and they were no more.  I wasn't sure whether to yell at them or thank them.

Mrs R51

In the last year I have bought two fitted sheets which are both a make called BelleDorm. Both 300 thread count egyptian cotton and one has bobbled and gone back and the replacement has also bobbled, the other sheet is absolutely fine.

No idea why this happens.

I used to buy cotton sheets from Carrefour which were lovely and then one fine year they also started bobbling. It is very annoying. So I too would like to know why this this happens.

NB not flannel sheets.

My favourite sheets are in fact from John Lewis and are poly cotton, but are so soft and lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
I always buy polycotton sheets with PERCALE and never, ever had a problem. In fact current sheets have now been in service for 7 years and still as good as new. Dorma range are good, but make sure they say Percale. Pure cotton are lovely in heat of Summer but not good when you are sweating over an ironing board in 30 degress trying to remove the creases. Dunelm Mill sell Dorma sheets at very good prices.

My bobbly Carrefour ones were Percale and their top of the range. I bought some later and it stopped.

My John Lewis ones are percale poly cotton and are lovely, however they are not deep enough for my current mattress, hence I ended up with the belledorm ones.

Didn't Dunhelm buy out Dorma?