doubles or twins?

chocccie

My farmhouse gite-to-be has three bedrooms.  One large on the ground floor with on-suite, and two upstairs, one smalll and one large which will share a loo/shower room.

Both of the large rooms could take a double bed or two twins.  So could the small room, but there wouldn't be too much room spare.

The bedroom downstairs is large enough to take a double and a single.  In fact, the large room upstairs could take a double and a single too... to give an idea of size.

My quandry is, how many shall I make double and how many twin. 

any suggestions please?

Many thanks

Depends really on the type of clientele you are aiming at.  We used to go away with either my parents, or another couple and it was always a pain when one of you had to have the room with twin beds.

When we set our house up as a gite we put in two doubles because we wanted to specifically aim at two sets of couples rather than families with kids staying in our house.  However, we did sometimes get requests from a couple, teenage kid and granny wanting to holiday together.  Granny and child didn't mind sharing a room, but not necessarily a bed.  So perhaps one double room, one double with a single as well and what about bunks in the small room, if you're thinking of renting to families?

I don't like the idea of several beds in one room. Looks like you're really trying to pack people in and I'd hate to sleep in the same room as my parents or granny for a week even if I was 8!

Twin beds arn't a problem for many people if it's only for a few nights and then you are able to accommodate friends travelling together. They can always be pushed together if needs be (Lol - my Mum still looks quite perplexed when we are staying and push her twin beds together).

But, please buy matching twin beds - odds and sods look soooo tacky.

You could also buy a decent quality Z-bed for emergencies.

Hi

I tend to agree with Zeb, though it has to be said that I don't seem to be inline with some french thinking. I (running a B&B with double/twins) got someone who wanted me to pack five into a double! "Oh the kids can sleep on the floor if you don't have enough beds".

What we do is to have mathching singles, with bedding for both single and doubles, and fitted lower sheets which go over both single mattresses together, holding them together. You can then put the singles together to make a large double, which the guests love. Doesn't cost THAT much extra, for the duplicated bedding compared with the cost of converting the house. As a general rule I heartily advocate planning for maximum flexibility. No matter what you think is right now, it's perfectly possible you may change your mind later. It's difficult to change unless you've designed for it from the beginning. ALWAYS (as in your own home) put in loads of sockets, far more than the electrician - trying to keep his devis competitive - will suggest, for example.

Thanks for all your answers.  How about a double bed in the large en suite downstairs, with a sofa bed in the corner (it's a good quality one)... would that be better than a double with a single bed in the corner?

I could then have a double in the bigger room upstairs and twin or bunks in the smaller room.  Do adults mind using bunks? 

I'd be lost without this forum!

Cheers  

When I suggested bunks I was definitely thinking KIDS.  It was along with a double and a twin room.  I don't think we'd want to be in bunks.  Even on the ferry we book a 4 berth cabin so that neither of us have to climb into the top bunk!

The sofabed is, I think, a better idea than a single bed in the room.  It's what we have in our larger double room, to allow it to also be a family room but when just being used by two people it looks much nicer, saves having that dormitory look!

As for kids and parents sharing, you'll get as many wanting to as not wanting to.  I recently referred a Belgian family to a colleague because our family room was full and they had two children.  The lady I referred them to is literally starting in the B&B business this week, so although she didn't have a family room for them she was prepared to offer a double and a twin for only 10 euros more than a double.  But no go, the Belgians wanted a family room, all in together!

[quote]My farmhouse gite-to-be has three bedrooms. One large on the ground floor with on-suite, and two upstairs, one smalll and one large which will share a loo/shower room. Both of the large rooms could ...[/quote]

My gites all have twin beds then I can cater :

-for newly married couples using their imagination!!!! and the readers of this posting too!!

-for young couples with the latest addition to the family, this way at least 'He who has to be obeyed!' can have a good night sleep whilst Poor Mum is being kicked out of bed by his little nib!

-for parties of walkers and cyclists and won't mind sharing for a weekend with another congenial friend!

-for families on a tight budget who will impose on the siblings to share a room (Oh! No...sharing with my sister AGAIN!! Boarding school is much more fun!!)

-for the oldies who are way pass the romantic stage of double beds but not yet up to the solitary life that will soon come!

I know it is more on the furniture/laundry investment and maintenance budget but it does open up a big chunk of the market out there which you would not catch with double beds...

The only double is my whisky on the Saturday night!! once everyone has arrived and is happy in their new home for the week to come!

• 1 month later...

No!!  They are awful.

I have lots of weekend breaks away, and I always ask to have my room changed if the bed is two zipped together.  They are uncomfortable and are just two singles pushed together - NOT a kingsize.  I would rather have one, proper, comfortable double bed, than something pretending to be what it's not.

Stick with a double!

One way around the discomfort you sometimes get with 2 singles pushed together is mattress toppers - we first experienced these on a weekend away and it really did make the twin beds pushed together to forma king size bed the best nights sleep we'd had in ages.

• 2 weeks later...
This posting is well timed for me as I am just buying beds for my new gite.  Are you talking about matress toppers bought in France?  I am only familiar with the IKEA type which only seem to fit IKEA beds.  Have just bought French beds and would like to buy top mattress pads for them all, but where do I buy them in France please??? For french size beds.