JUNK EMAILS

dunny

[:@]

I have Norton Anti  Spam yet find I am still inundated with emails from the USA offering me a variety of medicines and in particular upgrades to Microsoft. I must spend at least 15 minutes deleting these unsolicited messages every time I log onto my computer. If anyone  has  found a solution to blocking these annoying emails I would appreciate a reply

Jan

I know that both Wanadoo and Hotmail have Junk mail filter systems. I use mainly Hotmail which offers a number of levels of Junk mail filtering as well as safe lists, mailing lists, block senders and automatic reporting of Junk mail. I find maybe just a couple of Spams a day are still reaching my inbox with all the rest of the spams being automatically filtered into a Junk mail box. An ISP like Hotmail takes Spam very seriously and as such the safe guards it offers are  pretty effective and I would not use anything like Norton Anti spam. You could also consider using mailwasher as a way of opening your mail without any fears of viruses.

Baz

Unfortunately getting on junk e mail lists is a by-product of most amateur, and more often than not 'professional' website design that leaves your e mail address readable by harvesting programs. Once on the lists, there's not really any going back for most except to change e mail address, with all that entails. Anti-spam can be over-zealous, as you can read about on the Wanadoo / NTL thread in the computer forum, and personally I wouldn't want to lose a customer who might be spending a couple of thousand pounds, even if he is called Mr. Erection!. Things are much better than they were a year or so ago (before the Chinese government took action to close spam servers), when we were getting over 100 per day, now it's a dozen or so.

sc

The two emergency Email addresses which I keep in case my Hotmail address is ever flooded do not receive junk Email. I keep my Hotmail address for day in day use and supply to anybody who asks for an Email address I receive no more than 10 Emails a day and report any junk amongst those as junk. In the UK you can register you address and phone number to prevent junk mail and cold calls. In France 'liste/code orange' works.  

thanks very much for the response to my junk mail problems. The day after I posted the message I received 63 emails and 62 of them were junk so I will definitely be trying some of your possible solutions.

Harvey, A Very  Happy New Year to you too!!

Dunny [:D]