B&B or Gite?

Derkins

Hello Derkins,

nice to see you are in the same boat as my wife and I was not long ago,

We had this very same question in our heads and decided on a gite, We did this for two reasons (1) by having a second property and the prices of property going up all the time (Limoges has the air port so property in this area is going up quickly) and if or when you decide to grow old without working you would have built up a nice nest egg. ref the property selling price.

(2) B.B.,s you have to be there every time you have a guest, and lets be honest with all the good intentions in the world some people will not be to your own liking, but with a good well cared for gite you should only see your guest on arrival and good by,s except if needed for any problems,

We,re not that far away from Limoges really, (approx 70mile or  1hr 30min) so as I said the area,s are very much on the increase ref holidays

We have friends who both gite and do the B.B.,s so we have looked at both,

hope this has given you a thought or two as to why we,ve decide on the gite,

good luck. 

B&B - do you really want to share your house with strangers?  Or have you the chance to make the business part separate?

B&B - more money for the initial cash investment but more work, longer hours and commitment required thereafter.  Suits sociable, houseproud types who don't mind being stuck to their house most of the day.  Horses for courses.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad to hear positive things about Limoges, most agents slag it off for being too wet and damp and out of the hub.  We are coming to visit the area more soon so will be looking at gite properties for sale, I agree having people in your house day and night will soon start to grate, at least gites is only one day a week to work....

[quote user="Derkins"]Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad to hear positive things about Limoges, most agents slag it off for being too wet and damp and out of the hub.  We are coming to visit the area more soon so will be looking at gite properties for sale, I agree having people in your house day and night will soon start to grate, at least gites is only one day a week to work....
[/quote]

I don't run B&B, but I agree with the others, it is daily work, often very hard and you have to be sur place most of the time, which doesn't suit everyone's lifestyle. You certainly have more freedom with gites, however, I think you will find that most people who manage to make a living out of them, usually have at least two or three properties and the 'work' consists of more than just changeover day, especially if you have a large garden, swimming pool etc. and you do your own laundry. Then in the winter there is the redecorating and maintenance of course - and a lot more bills to pay than if you have one property in which you let out rooms!

Zeb has the right idea.  That is what I did - having a horror of hard work - and it worked out perfectly for me.  One of the properties I bought was a house divided into three flats and it had paid for itself in less than five years.  Prices being cheaper in the 'old days'.

During a red hot summer when it was empty, I did B&B.  What a game!  All that washing!  All that ironing!  All that cleaning!  All that smiling and being nice!  All that being in ear shot of the phone!

Never again.

[quote user="Chauffour"]

Jon,

have you finally found Lewis & Clarke?   [;-)]

[/quote]

Well I had hoped that they were hiding under the dresser, but it turned out to be a sock I lost some weeks ago.

Miki is, of course, quite right in that William Clarke (or Clark -

spellings differ by source, but I don't suppose it matters much) and

Meriwether Lewis are long gone: 1838 and 1809 respectively.

My reference is actually to the song by the Long Ryders (who? - see here and here)

of the same name, which has been bouncing around inside my head after

an absence of many years for some weeks now. From about the same time

as I lost the sock, in fact.

Does this help at all? [8-)]

[quote user="zeb"]If you want a regular income, forget the gite - you'll only get a 10-12 week season. Buy a separate property (with heating!) and let it out longterm unfurnished.[/quote]

Is there still a market for gites? There are three in our village - all french owned, one at least I have seen and its lovely - but hardly anyone using them.  Our neighbour was telling us in July that she had virtually no bookings this year..they have a farm so the gite is just a sideline for them but nevertheless..  I certainly wouldn't want to be reliant on gite income to survive.

Kathie

I think it depends where you are, what you're offering and how much competition there is.  I know someone who rents a gite, this is their first year and they say they have been almost fully booked up from May to September.  They have taken 5 bookings for next year already.