Unsolicited advertising

pigeon

Dear All,

We have just received an unsolicited e-mail from "Free to do France " inviting us to advertise our business with them in their guide book @ £50 for 2 years. I have never heard of them. Seems reasonable value , but what is your opinions as we have never heard of them.

Viv,

We get loads of them, if you are already listed somewhere then you are considered fair game.

I must say that I have not heard of this operation though.

I generally ignore the ones that want money, but you will also get fee sites mailing you that can sometimes produce results.

If you haven't heard of them, then chances are that your potential customers are even less likely to have heard of them. So most likely it would be money down the drain that could have been spent on advertising somewhere that you know is likely to work. Free offers may be worth a go, but generally if they are any good at all they don't stay free for long.

[quote user="alnmike"]Got the email too - never heard of them, and nothing comes up on google. I don't respond to unsolicited requests, but as per JJ will respond to free listings!
[/quote]

I know that Google isn't foolproof - but if nothing comes up, at all - I would be very suspicious.

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Will "]Free offers may be worth a go, but generally if they are any good at all they don't stay free for long.[/quote]

May be true in general, but I have a few free sites I use that have produced several bookings each. 
[/quote]

The thing with free sites is that they are not free....They earn money by selling on your details as a general rule.  Hence you now getting spam mailings offering 'free sites'...........now where is that cost negative lunch???

When we get unsolicited mail or phone calls from sites we have not heard of, my first comment is "if your so sure i will receive bookings from you site" give me a 3 months FREE trial period and then, on results i will take up your offer. Funny thing is no one accepts my request.

[quote user="Chief"]

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Will "]Free offers may be worth a go, but generally if they are any good at all they don't stay free for long.[/quote]

May be true in general, but I have a few free sites I use that have produced several bookings each. 

[/quote]

The thing with free sites is that they are not free....They earn money by selling on your details as a general rule.  Hence you now getting spam mailings offering 'free sites'...........now where is that cost negative lunch???

[/quote]

And where exactly did you get that misinformation from, Chief?  [:D] Unfortunately I'm far from inundated with offers of free advertising.  And if I was, I have no problem with that. 

Given that our "normandie chambres" email address is on a number of directories and sites in various guises, it is not surprising we get spam but almost all the rubbish goes in the junk box automatically. I have another address with Tiscali UK that I have never used for adverts or portals (in fact I can't remember using it for over 2 years for any purpose at all!) and it gets even more spam than the website email box.

Spammers don't all buy addresses - a lot of them use robots to harvest email addresses from websites.

[quote user="Cassis"]

Spammers don't all buy addresses - a lot of them use robots to harvest email addresses from websites.

[/quote]

There is a way to put a bit of html code either side of an email address on a website so that the crawlers don't see it but users can still click on it to open their email editor. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue how to do it, so I get spam by the buckload. Got another free site offer today - justdirect.net: anyone heard of them??? The site looks quite impressive - perhaps one can buy a template or something - but only has 5 properties on it as far as I can see; four in the US and one in Fiji. Perhaps an opportunity to get in at the begining of something big....