Fosse warning

Val_2

For those of you who are absent landlords renting to people here on holiday please make sure your fosse is emptied regularly. My husband was called out yesterday by someone looking after a gîte for an absent landlord living in the UK.Its a good 20miles plus away and it was supposedly the new toilet cistern which we had replaced four weeks ago that had broken or jammed. After a lot of searching,testing and locating, OH discovered that the fosse septique was full and compacted so hard nothing could flush down the loo and the new occupants had only been in the place less than 24hrs. Trying to get a vidange organised on a sunday and a bank holiday weekend proved impossible. When the owner was informed he was not in the least bothered and said it was last emptied about 20years ago. Normally you empty every five years at least. He will be receiving a large callout bill from us this week and even larger one when the vidange tanker arrives to empty. Just a warning in case  yours hasn't been emptied for some time!

we had a similar experience a couple of years ago - one of our customers was at his house and when we spoke he said his toilet needed 3 or 4 flushes to get anything to go - we said it sounded like the foss was full.....anyway, his first guests arrived 2 weeks later,  nothing would flush and 'stuff' was oozing from the ground etc etc.... it was a Saturday, bank holiday and nothing could get there until the following Wednesday. Even the farmers were too busy with haymaking! Customer said foss wasnt full, all you have to do is just shove a coat hanger down the loo and break up the blockage he said - my reply was on the lines of no way Pedro! Anyhow, 250€ later, fed up punters and 5 days of trying not to go unless you were busting, they had a working system! Moral of the story is listen to them wot know!

Steve

[quote user="tinabee"]I believe it is now a legal requirement to get your fosse emptied every 4 years.[/quote]

Interesting I wonder how that could possibly be policed/enforced - perhaps a whole new branch of french bureaucrats - Les gendarmes de merde

[quote user="freddy"]

[quote user="tinabee"]I believe it is now a legal requirement to get your fosse emptied every 4 years.[/quote]

Interesting I wonder how that could possibly be policed/enforced - perhaps a whole new branch of french bureaucrats - Les gendarmes de merde

[/quote]

in our area it is the SPANC man [6]