DIY Chimney Cleaning

Mark

I have the brushes, but I've yet to use them.  Is it just a case of poking them up and down for half an hour, so to speak, or are there hidden subtleties to the chimney sweeping art that I should employ?  

can't give you specific advice,  but just a word of warning, check if your flue goes all the way up the chimney...my husband swept the chimney at the beginning of the winter last year...we had a chimney fire christmas eve!!!!! had to clean it out for santa I guess.... on removing  the plate we discovered that the flue only went up a couple of feet!!  and there we were thinking that the previous owner had done such a good job in cleaning the chimney! the rods were just floating around in thin air!!Blink [blink]

One aspect to consider is the certificate you will need for the insurance/fire brigade should you have a chimney fire.  Whilst, provided you sweep it properly I guess such a fire would be unlikely, but the cleaning certificate is apparently important for many insurance companies (if you are concerned, maybe check with your insurance company as to whether they accept you doing it yourself).  also, if you have a chimney fire, the fire brigade can fine you after they have put it out (though I believe that they do not all do this always – not much personal experience).

Just an aspect to be aware of in case it concerns you (may or may not, just passing on info).

Ian

I have used a " buche cheminée" which you burn in the hearth/stove and which cleans by some chemical process. It comes with a card which you fill in sign and send off to register that you have used it. According to the info, this is adequate for your insurance company. You can find them in the supermarkets.

Thankfully this has not been put to the test

If you use a lot of wood you have got to be sure that it is well seasoned and if it has a high % of pine in it then at least 2 years of seasoning, at least 2 years! How much is a buche cheminée, how much is a chimney sweep and how much is a peace of mind? We had ours swept and although we thought that the person that we bought the house off, just over a year ago, had been very conciensious about the upkeep the sweep bought down bucket fulls of "pony & trap", all nice and sticky. I tried burning some of it and boy did it go well! When it was out and loose that is!

'You pays yer money and you takes yer chance'. Not me!

John.

[quote user="irnbru"]I have used a " buche cheminée" which you burn in the hearth/stove and which cleans by some chemical process. It comes with a card which you fill in sign and send off to register that you have used it. According to the info, this is adequate for your insurance company. You can find them in the supermarkets. Thankfully this has not been put to the test[/quote]

The " buche cheminée" I got and used last winter have a “required” program on the box.  Once a year a sweep.  At the start of each winter a special " buche cheminée" log thingy and then a sachet each week.  as it was a new system I just used the sachets last year but will get it swept this autumn.

I have no idea what things you are using and also no idea how effective they are.  The flame does go a pretty colour when the sachets/powder are burning though 

The installation people actually say it should be swept twice a year – but as its only used in the winter I’m skipping the “spring” sweeping.

Ian

We have just swept our chimney using rods and brushes, Mr O even went on the roof to clean the  chimney outlet. We use the powder to clean during the fire season , at least once per week. we removed 5 cubic litres of "soot" half a 10 litre bag in box![I]

We did use a "proffesional" sweep a couple of years ago, easiest 30 euros anyone ever made in my opinion! used our cardboard box, my dining chair to stand on and my house brush to sweep the excess......................

Mark .........

Throw away your brushes and don't take any notice of OPAS sending poor old Mr O up on to the roof in all weathers.

Just pay a Ramonneur €40 or so to come and do it for you. As everyone says, you need the certificate.

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

Mark .........

Throw away your brushes and don't take any notice of OPAS sending poor old Mr O up on to the roof in all weathers.

Just pay a Ramonneur €40 or so to come and do it for you. As everyone says, you need the certificate.

[/quote]

Our roof is about  a 6 ft climb from the roof terrace.........a cock stride for Poor Mr O  (if he could post on here he wouldn`t be looking for jobs to do![:P])

If you get  a ramonner , do ask your neighbours for a recommendation,  the one we had the first year we were here knocked on our door by chance and what a bit of luck he got.....read my previous post!

Have to go to the ins, so will ask for clarification of a cert.

EDIT  the asterixed word is a male chicken!

Hi Mark, I tried to get the professional in but he was busy and we needed to have the chimney swept before the insert was installed. My french neighbour said it was cheaper to buy the brushes and do the job yourself. I bough a set of brushes to suit our chimney. The set came with a metal brush for the original chimney and a nylon one that we will use for the stainless liner we now have fitted with the insert. Our neighbour came round climbed on the roof and the whole job took about ten minutes. Before I forget we taped a sheeet over the fireplace opening to stop soot blowing inside the salon.

Not a difficult job!!, have not used one of blocks from the supermarket yet

Happy sweeping

Chris