Which "Expert" is the expert

Joric

I am having problems with using a lot of chlore but have a very low reading on test. On visiting the supplier of the pool the guy there said that I should add stabilisant with no chlore overnight and test again if no better,do it again which I did and then shock the pool, it did not help.I went to another pool person and they also tested the sample and said that there was too much stabilisant and the only thing was to half empty the pool to rectify the over stabilisant.They also gave me a little test stick which I used and it gave a reading of 150.If the second shop was right it would appear that I have worstened the situation by adding more stabilisant.

Has anyone got any suggestions b4 I half ? empty the pool

Thanks

The advice offered by the first Pool shop is just nonsence.... I suggest that you avoid them in every way possible and tell others to do likewise.

The second advice is correct. You are testing for Stabilizer or Cyanuric acid. If your test is 150 ppm then you'll need to drop that down by diluting the concentration in the water. If you change half your water then you will still have 75ppm or so which is the maximum tolerance and too high in my opinion. If you change half again then you will gain a little breathing space.

When you get too much cyanuric acid in the pool then the water will become unresponsive to chlorine as it becomes 'locked' and unable to do its work.

EVERYONE who sanitizes their pool manually should be testing for Cyanuric acid every month or so and if it gets too high then dump water.

I hope that this has been of help

Andrew

Hi Andrew

thanks for your quick response and sorry that I have taken so long to thank you.I have pumped out two thirds of the pool and re-filled and all readings are aok.

Once again many thanks

Kind regards

Richard

Isn't PoolGuy just the greatest !  Aren't we lucky to have him posting here. 

PoolGuy - If you are every wondering how worthwhile it is to maintain your presence here - rest assured your are VERY much appreciated.

• 3 months later...
For those of you who are struggling with Stabilizer in your pool water.

There is now available a groovy littly electronic tester to take the

guess work out of the Chlor/pH/Cyanuric acid  testing thing.

If you want further details then send me a PM and I'll help. I've been

using it myself for a month of so now and I have to say, that I am

impressed - its a magic little bundle.

Andrew

David,

I thought I would get in before Andrew as I purchased one of the Palin Test Cool Pool Testers from Andrew a few weeks ago.

I am very pleased with it as it takes all the guesswork out of reading your levels.

It is easy to use and I would highly recomend them.

I have no financial interests in the product at all, this is a genuine testimonial.

I think I paid around a 100 euros, sounds expensive, but they are very usefull. I know it worked out cheaper than importing one from the UK.

I would to concur with Lori about being fortunate to have Poolguy on this forum.

I have learnt a great amount from him, a lot more than the conflicting advice one gets in pool shops.

We also have a Palin Cool Pool Tester which works very well. The results seem reproducible if the "test-tubes" are keep clean. Does anyone know where it is possible to buy the reagent tablets, particularly for cyanuric acid, here in France perferably via the Internet ?

Thanks also to Poolguy for all his posts, I wish I had found them before we decided on a pool, the result might have been more user friendly.

John and Angela. (Var)

[quote user="Auxadrets"]

We also have a Palin Cool Pool Tester which works very well. The results seem reproducible if the "test-tubes" are keep clean. Does anyone know where it is possible to buy the reagent tablets, particularly for cyanuric acid, here in France perferably via the Internet ?

[/quote]

You could contact Poolguy or Telephone or Email  Palintest UK who will then give you a name of a supplier in your part of France. For contact details use the link below.

http://www.palintest.com/contact

Baz

I think that you will find that they refer you to Andrew anyway.

I like my Palin tester. I asked Palin U.K. if I could get other tablets here for the testing and they said that the only ones that work correctly are theirs. Oh yes???? So I tried a comparason test. Both the tablets supplied by Andrew and the ones I have locally give different readings to the Palin test ones, so I would hazard a guess that the lady at Palin test was not telling porkies!!

Hi David, it was the DPD1, chlor, test that I got the different readings with. 2.2ppm Palintest, 3.0 Andrew's and 3.2 with the ones I got locally... I didn't go any further because I only had 4 of each of the Palintest tablets... Andrew is sending me some more when he gets them.

[quote user="Goo_Rat"]

It is only the PH tablets that are calibrated specifically their photometer tester, the chlorine and cynuric acid arn't.

You can use standard dpd #1 and #3 for free combined and total chlorine tests in the machine.

[/quote]

GooRat

I asked this specific question of Palin test as I have invested heavily in visual test kits before the Photometer kits and their answer was a definate NO to using the DPD1, pH and Cyanuric pills in the photometer. The density of the visual resultant solution is too high for the photometer so it will give an incorrect reading.

I have a good supply of Photometer grade test pills in transit, available for sale next week, they are the ones with the BLACK writing, the blue labled pills are not OK.

Andrew