Drought.... filling your pool is forbidden

Poolguy

As yet unconfirmed reports that the Minister for Ecology will again impose restrictions on filling swimming pools, private and public this Summer due to fears of a drought.

Le Ministère de l'écologie et du développement durable, par un décret du 31 mars 2009, vient de décider d'interdire tout remplissage de piscine cet été, aussi bien pour les bassins enterrés que pour les bassins hors sol et ce jusqu'au 1er octobre 2009 en prévision d'une sécheresse exceptionnelle...

This happened in 2006 when right across France, anyone found with a hose pipe in their pool was landed a significant fine. Water reserves went down to dangerously low levels and so it has become clear that this situation is anticipated more and more here in France. It means that Pools both above ground, in ground, private and commercial cannot be filled, topped up, gardens cannot be watered, cars not washed this summer.

During 2006  and since I have habitually advised, all pool owners that rainwater storage is the only safe way of ensuring your pool can operate successfully come what may. So those who have responded and have significant storage needn’t worry, but those who did not believe the message may again find that their pool usage this summer will be limited by dwindling levels

As I said this report is not confirmed, the source is reliable but until I read the Decré then it’s still just a rumour. I’ll post what I have when I get it. If you want advise on how to get equipped to cope with this then PM me.

Andrew

Cathy, if the law does come in then no matter what is will be against it to fill your pool.

At the moment here an order even greater than the government is filling our pool. Big G in person is making sure that both our pool and garden is not going short of water!

I thought that I read a few years ago that it was not allowed to fill a pool other than via a tap... Maybe it is just a commercial restriction.

I dont want to start mass panic but I thought I read it somewhere.. maybe wrong.

osie

Will there be little poissons d'avril in these pools? The French text states that Minister made the decree on March 31st.

There was no nationwide hosepipe ban in 2006. The consequences of the drought were dealt with on a local basis.

• 2 weeks later...