Sodium Bicarb

g8vkv

My pH is OK - but my total alkalinity is too low[8-)], so I think I need to add some Sodium Bicarbonate.

I don't especially fancy paying piscine-shop prices, so does anyone know where a good supply could be found?

Many thanks in advance.

Teapot.....

Try reading the code of conduct for this forum. Very much like many others it has this line..

Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

Poolguy, has and does sometimes offer up useful info but its mainly so that he can "net up" some possible sales.

Forums are for discussion and debate( just as you & I on this subject) not for selling services.

Steve

Also some people that are sellers of certain products once they get your telephone number they never stop calling when they think a sale maybe heading towards them. Then you get real peeved about it and don't bother placing the order.

In my opinion Andrew makes brilliant use of the forums. As you say he passes on very valuable and informed advice and does not overtly advertise. In this case he has asked the op to pm him. That's ok by me. I would not want to discourage Andrews posts in any way.

[quote user="Steve"]Teapot.....

Try reading the code of conduct for this forum. Very much like many others it has this line..

Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

Poolguy, has and does sometimes offer up useful info but its mainly so that he can "net up" some possible sales.
Forums are for discussion and debate( just as you & I on this subject) not for selling services.

Steve

[/quote]

Steve, why are you nitpicking? Poolguy has offered a great deal of advice on this forum on a subject that many people often require help.. Yes, we know he is in the pool business, but he only invites anyone that has a problem that he cannot answer directly  on the forum to contact him or sends a PM, so the choice is entirely  the poster's whether contact is made or not. I cannot see why you are quoting the code of conduct as as far as I can see he is not breaking any of the rules.

For a forum to be successful it needs people who can supply correct information, so we should support these members. If they get some business as a result of their free advice given then that IMO it is a fair reward.

Baz

[quote user="Mik from LA"]In my opinion Andrew makes brilliant use of the forums. As you say he passes on very valuable and informed advice and does not overtly advertise. In this case he has asked the op to pm him. That's ok by me. I would not want to discourage Andrews posts in any way.
[/quote]

I fully agree Mik, Poolguy has an excellent knowledge of his subject and passes it on in an easy to understand way.

Without his input, who else would post so much information on this forum regarding pools?

Baz..... I don't think I am nit picking.... A code of conduct is just that........ A code of conduct. Putting a link to your website at the bottom of each post is  not overt at all then?

Informed information is what we get not necessarily always correct information. There are always two opinions eg mine & yours on this particular point.

Steve

[quote user="Steve"] Putting a link to your website at the bottom of each post is  not overt at all then?

[/quote]

It is allowed under the rules of the forum which you are keen to promote. I do understand your point but I am of a different opinion. I think it all comes down to common sense at the end of the day

[quote user="Steve"]Baz..... I don't think I am nit picking.... A code of conduct is just that........ A code of conduct. Putting a link to your website at the bottom of each post is  not overt at all then?

Informed information is what we get not necessarily always correct information. There are always two opinions eg mine & yours on this particular point.

Steve

[/quote]

Steve, think you are nit picking.

You get a far better response than from the majority of pool shops in France.

There are more than two opinions to date:

Teapot, Baz, Mik from LA, Not sure thebiga has actually made a point.

What is your area of expertise?

Don't forget my opinion TPot. I also think that there is no breach here. Andrew is and always has been very careful with his 'advertising' and has stuck to the spirit as well as the letter of the code in my opinion.

There are other pool pros on this forum and so far, apart from one that comes to mind, they have all made a good contribution to the forum and there are many people who are now better informed.

As for the pool shops, no comment apart from that they sell chemicals. Half the time they don't know what they are and most of what I have seen they charge through the nose for them too!

Steve, there are at least two good things about Andrew. He is knowledgable and helpfull with it and he is LEGAL too!

Teapot.....

"You get a far better response than from the majority of pool shops in France."

I haven't managed to get into the majority of pool shops in France to be able to post  such a "correct" piece of information as yourself!!

"What is your area of expertise"?

What ?? The point being ?

Steve

Good morning

Boy oh boy, what is going on here, someone asks/posts an innocent question about a pool problem, and Poolguy being very well qualified to answer (unsolicited), plus many others who are not qualified add their bit, and  we are all at each others throats... heavens above if Poolguy is able to assist why can't he, after all , most of the time its free advice.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE.

[quote user="Steve"]Teapot.....

"You get a far better response than from the majority of pool shops in France."

I haven't managed to get into the majority of pool shops in France to be able to post  such a "correct" piece of information as yourself!! Why if the pool shops in France are so good, are there so many threads asking for information on the subject?

"What is your area of expertise"?

What ?? The point being ? Are you just a professional nit picker?

Steve
[/quote]

I am taking no further part in this thread.

I do agree with Steve.  There is a very unequal and unfair approach on this forum to implicit advertising.  I have seen very similar posts: OP writes 'I need X' and (professional) responder replies 'I can supply X' and the responders post is removed and they get a formal pm telling them they have breached the rules.  The rules of the forum allow links to members business in their signature.  These same members can provide informed advice.  To post offering to do the work / supply the goods is blatant soliciting for business...

I have just read some comments regarding Andrew  (poolguy) and all I want to say is yes he will get some sales from contact on the forum, but just look back at some of the advice given over the years about pool maintenance etc , I would say pretty cheap eh !!!

Billy 10

[quote user="billy10"]I have just read some comments regarding Andrew  (poolguy) and all I want to say is yes he will get some sales from contact on the forum.

Billy 10

[/quote]

That's not the point.  If someone offers advice which readers of the forum value and, as a consequence, they use the profile link to contact the poster then that is one thing.  A post offering to sell / supply is something else and is against the TOC.

Many thanks to those who have posted to support my activity on the Forum.

To Steve and Scooby

I understand your objection and, whilst I don't agree with you, I will respect your views and will in future just advise that a PM have been sent to give the poster the information they want, privately.

You realise of course that this will mean that a lot of the information that is passed on will then not be available to the general population, but hey, I don't want to offend you, after all you have posted here of your own free will and contributed you opinion, albeit only 36 posts, each one is a gem I am sure.

I am certain that you are not interested in my advice as you do not have any difficult problems with your pool, so my help is not needed, that's fair.

As you are also so sure of the purpose of this and other forums perhaps there are other forums that you have contributed and that have benefited from your opinion. They are truly fortunate indeed. For in this world of SPAM, nuisance phone calls, letterbox jamming publicity, and irritating interruptions to your favourite TV programme from commercial messages, it must be like a gasp of clean air to participate in a forum where nothing of that nature ever occurs. Nobody flames others, nor shames anyone and everybody researches their topic thoroughly before they offer an opinion. An ideal cyber world indeed.

So I'll keep an eye on my activity and see it doesn't wander off again, as it would be a shame to dirty my copybook after 5 years of posting, ever since this board began in fact. Many thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Best regards

Andrew

I'm sure your posts have been worth the time and effort in terms of the new business they have generated over the years Andrew.   I hardly think your posting here is purely altruistic...otherwise you wouldn't bother to use your signature to link to your business web site.

Andrew

I'm sorry you have taken the objection so poorly, perhaps you have underlined my point by your reply. Some emotional blackmail in their and couched personal insult. Is quality judged by the number of posts you make ?? Don't understand that one.

I don't believe I have questioned the useful information you have posted or others either. This is purely about the code of conduct of the forum.

I also don't believe that the length of time you have been posting on a forum somehow makes it right.

Steve

[quote user="Steve"]Scooby.....

Agreed. Forums are about passing

free advice & comment that in some cases may help the readers, not

as a way of swopping this information for a potential sale or 2.

Steve

[/quote]

Says who? Information from professionals is equally if not more valid.

In my opinion it is an ideal way of judging the calibre of the

professional. I suspect the rule about no advertising is more to do

with protecting the forum owners right to sell advertising. Some forums

allow advertising in the posts where there is no other commercial

interest. I also am not keen to see blatent advertising in posts but

this is surely a matter of common sense and if excessive is up to the

moderators to deal with.

[quote user="Poolguy"]

I understand your objection and, whilst I don't agree with you, I will respect your views and will in future just advise that a PM have been sent to give the poster the information they want, privately.

You realise of course that this will mean that a lot of the information that is passed on will then not be available to the general population, but hey, I don't want to offend you, after all you have posted here of your own free will and contributed you opinion, albeit only 36 posts, each one is a gem I am sure.

[/quote]

That is very sad. please reconcider