Punctured inflatable ring on Intex pool.

dave21478

The big inflatable ring around the top of my pool will no longer stay inflated for more than a day. No obvious leak at the valve, and I have been round the ring with soapy water and cant spot an obvious hole or leaky seam.

What would be the course of action here?

If I can find a hole, what can I patch it with?

Is there something I can put inside the ring? I had thought of filling the ring using aerosols of expanding insulation foam,but it would take a hell of a lot of cans to do this.

We have exactly the same pool Dave and a similar problem. Our ring deflates over a 7 to 10 day period and like you we cannot find the leak. I was thinking of using a couple of those cans you can buy in a supermarket for inflating car tyres. We will be taking ours down towards the end of next month and I was going to try working my way around the ring, dipping it underwater, as it is not possible when the pool is full.

Well, there is a conspicuous lack of Makro branches here in France. A replacament 6m x 3.6m pool is closer to €500, although they occasionally turn up a bit cheaper in supermarket promos,  so you can see my relucatnce to ditch this one, to say nothing of the time, hassle, and water replacement involved in changing the whole thing - especially as it is in regular use by the gite guests.

Just an idea ...it seems they need to be filled with somthing that acts the same as the air inflation thats permenant if they are left up.... A zip stiched in somwhere and stuffed and filled with the polystyrene balls that are used in wall insulation or bean bags ..... Now sombody tell me why it would not work !

[quote user="Frederick"]Ram them in tight thats what your fists are for ![/quote]

What you mean put them in under pressure? if he could hold pressure we wouldn't be discussing this [:)]

Think of a bag of marbles it can be packed full but it still moved, you need balls with corners [:D]

It seems to be an intermittant leak that varies with temperature and therefor pressure.

If I bow it up till reasonably firm in the morning, and its a hot day, it will be flat by evening. However, if I do it on a cooler day, or only put a small amount of air in, it will stay inflated much longer.

It would seem that the high temperature increases the pressure enough to open up a seam somewhere or force air out the valve. This leak then stays open till its completely flat, where it will close again. A much lower inflation pressure means that the hot weather doesnt heat it enough to raise the pressure to open the flaw.

Either way, its still rather annoying, and im fed up of lugging the bloody compressor up the hill to the pool.

Does it by any chance have a pressure relief valve that has some stiction or doesnt like resealing?

Try leaving the compressor connected and see what happens, what have you got to lose except a leaky pool and loads of water [6]

Seriously that is what I would do but carefully and progressively  armed with a paint sprayer filled with soapy water