jean desjoyaux pool problems too

We have a very similar problem to Snowey. Our water is now clear (brand new pump,shok, floc, ph-) However, all the white stuff is sitting on the bottom and when we vacuum it the normal way the water just goes all cloudy again. Pool shop said we have used the wrong sort of floc for a desjoyaux pool (I'm sure we used the same stuff last year - it was a liquid) and so we then used tablets. He also said that we now need to vacuum but not through the filter bag. The waste must be sucked out of the pool into the garden. We just cant work out how to do this? Maybe after all we have to empty the pool completely and then scrub the bottom? But then we have also been told never to empty our pool. Help please, somebody.

Would really love a swim.

Assuming that you have a sand filter, did you follow the 'floc' directions exactly. It should be added to the skimmer with the pump running. Then the pump should be turned off to allow the floc to 'do something magical in the filter' for 15 to 20 minutes. then when the pump is turned on hoovering the pool should remove the 'white stuff' and retain it in the filter. Backwashing when done will then get rid of it.

Before the 'experts' butt in to correct me please note that I am not a pool expert, just a bloke with a pool of crystal clear water.

Apart from any other water chemistry problems....!

Desjoyeau pools suffer from inadequate circulation and therefore filtration.

Their system is totally flawed and so you will always have problems.

Unfortunately, their marketing is terrific so many people buy their pools

thinking that their leisure time is sorted out and they will be able to enjoy a

beautiful pool all year round with little or no work. Anyone who now owns a

Desjoyeau who is ready to accept the reality, might advise to the contrary, in

that in order to keep the water clean and clear you must maintain a constant

cycle of cleaning the bag filters, hovering and adding loads of chemical,

usually Desjoyeau branded chemicals, as some owners report, the company will disavow

their guarantee if the owner uses generic or any other brand (This is actually illegal

and quite a serious offence in commercial law).

So now in response to the flood of demands for help from pool owners who have

this system or a similar one from other makers, we have designed a series of

upgrades, which replace the bag system with a Sand filter with Zeolite, their

tiny pump with an adequately sized pump and sufficient skimmers, returns and a

bottom drain so that the pool can circulate properly on a 3 hour cycle (time

for all the water to go through the filter), filter to 1 micron, Skim and

return down wind and from multiple places, and sanitise automatically using

basic generic liquid chlorine and pH moins. We can do this now without having

to rip the pool apart completely as in the past.

The result of this is that you will have clear, and clean water all year round

and no real work to do.... As Bugbear said, just backwash occasionally... that’s

about it.

If you want to continue to struggle with the Desjoyeau system then OK, but

there is an alternative, contact me if need help.

Andrew

Hi I spoke to the manufacturers in the end, a really helpful guy, either American or Canadian. If you have the filter bag system 'Do not use Floc', the white stuff is coming from that! We took a third of the water out, refilled, then filter, filter, filter, he ordered us a Mega-bag, but it has come clear before we have tried it, I think the agents are the problem, they only sell the stuff to get the turnover. Our pool is wonderful, has been and is again now, in 3 years it has been easy to look after, I just put the winter cover on too early last year, got it green and then tried to rush it this year and didn't know not to use flocculent.

Snowey [:)]

• 2 weeks later...

I had a desjoyaux pool installed in early 2006 complete with chlorinator system. We had 6 months swimming in beautiful clear water. I winterised it by shutting it down completely after choccing it. I opened it up at beginning of April this year, chocced it and cleaned it of residual debris that had eked its way in under the winter cover. The water was clear. So far this year I have topped up with non-stabilised salt only. I clean the filters once a week, takes me 10 minutes. I ensure the pool is kept clean with the use of the supplied vacuum system and a robot only when required. Sometimes I use ph plus if the ph is too high, but very rarely.

I am very happy with my desjoyaux pool with its sparkling clean water at very little cost and effort on my part.

• 1 year later...
We live in Spain and a desjoyaux pool was already installed in the property.  I would imagine it is quite an old pool, no Roman steps for a start just a ladder.  My problems are as follows, the plastic band which secures the filter bag is broken, superglued it twice now because although I have emailed Desjoyaux 4 times now I haven´t received a reply.  Another problem is purple dust and staining.  I have shock treated the water and vacuumed after each shock and although the majority of the staining has gone there is still small amount of staining on the filter box.  I am now waiting for the chlorine level to drop sufficiently so that I can pump a third of the water onto the garden as I don´t want to kill the grass or plants.  Does anyone know how to remove the purple staining permanently and also how to I get Desjoyaux to respond to my requests for spare parts or servicing.

Question is, what is causing the purple stain? Could be corrosion cause by the salt water chlorine generator.

You will have to locate the source in order to stop it.  Salt water is very corrosive, even stainless steel can be attacked.

Waving Euros in front of Desjoyaux is usually the way to get their attention, IMO Piscines are just their way to get at your hard earned. Tell them you want a new pool, they will come round like a shot then moan at the rep face to face.

[quote user="michlyntyres"]We live in Spain and a desjoyaux pool was already installed in the property.  I would imagine it is quite an old pool, no Roman steps for a start just a ladder.  My problems are as follows, the plastic band which secures the filter bag is broken, superglued it twice now because although I have emailed Desjoyaux 4 times now I haven´t received a reply.  Another problem is purple dust and staining.  I have shock treated the water and vacuumed after each shock and although the majority of the staining has gone there is still small amount of staining on the filter box.  I am now waiting for the chlorine level to drop sufficiently so that I can pump a third of the water onto the garden as I don´t want to kill the grass or plants.  Does anyone know how to remove the purple staining permanently and also how to I get Desjoyaux to respond to my requests for spare parts or servicing.[/quote]

Hi Michlyntyres (cool name)

If I can offer you another (perhaps unwelcome) piece of advise, Give up on Desjoyaux - they will never answer you, they just don't care!!!

You can use your energies and monies better by removing the troublesome filter unit in favour of a system that does the job, and then the problem is gone forever. The pool you have is unfortunately, a 'cot case'. I haven’t seen yours but I've seen hundreds just like and they are all absolutely hopeless case - a pit of misery and despair. There is no way to get that idea (their filter unit) to work up to international standards of water quality no matter what the publicity tells you, it will just never get there. Its especially problematic (as you have discovered) in a hot climate. They don't exist in Australia for example, because they would never pass the norms.

I can help you to change it if you want but it’s a significant piece of work - but it is worth doing that is, if you want a nice pool. PM me and I'll be in touch.

Andrew

• 7 months later...
[quote user="michlyntyres"]We live in Spain and a desjoyaux pool was already installed in the property.  I would imagine it is quite an old pool, no Roman steps for a start just a ladder.  My problems are as follows, the plastic band which secures the filter bag is broken, superglued it twice now because although I have emailed Desjoyaux 4 times now I haven´t received a reply.  Another problem is purple dust and staining.  I have shock treated the water and vacuumed after each shock and although the majority of the staining has gone there is still small amount of staining on the filter box.  I am now waiting for the chlorine level to drop sufficiently so that I can pump a third of the water onto the garden as I don´t want to kill the grass or plants.  Does anyone know how to remove the purple staining permanently and also how to I get Desjoyaux to respond to my requests for spare parts or servicing.[/quote]

Hello everyone, my first post here. I am an italian living in spain not too far from the french border.

I too have a desjoyaux pool in our recently rented home and the onwner had it since 1992 and worked fine they said. Anyways, I ordered my new cotton bags and filter rings (mine also was broken) through the barcelona agent and they were eager to help and sent them out in no time (costly they are!). I have alsways managed to speak to them although they have not always solved my problem (I do speak a decent spanish and catalan).

I kept having heavy algae problems but once I completly emptied it out (after using every chemical in the book) and refilled it, its now working fine (knock on wood). 10 hours filtering per day (the pool is big 90m3), get the bags properly cleaned once a day and vacuum every other day.

I can see how this is a head ache - system pool but it is now working fine. I do not think I would install one in my own home though. Hope this helps

If you have any queries do pm

Aurevoir

CLaudio

• 7 months later...
Terry, if your pool is the usual desjoyaux, it will use filter bags and you must never use flocculant with type of filter.  Regular changing and cleaning of the filter bags is about all you can do. what type of floc was it and why did you require floc?

We have a desjoyaux pool too.

We also used floc once.

It was a swine to get rid of but it did go eventually - we just kept filtering and emptying the bag.

Next time if you have a big problem with your water, empty as much as you can out of the pool, refill it and just filter continuously until it is impec. Might take as long as 2 weeks so be patient.

Bonne chance.

[quote user="bubbles"] Next time if you have a big problem with your water, empty as much as you can out of the pool, refill it and just filter continuously until it is impec. Might take as long as 2 weeks so be patient. Bonne chance.[/quote]

What is/was the big problem that required emptying as much water as you can?

MERCY....!

Makes you wonder doesn't it.... Why all these pool owners bother with a pool system which means all that work. Especially when its now so simple to change it all to a Zeolite filter system. After that its backwashing once a month to clean the filter.... takes about a minute (once a month).

I guess that there a lot of folk who are grateful to have something to do.....  (?)

I don't understand it otherwise.

Andrew

Theiere - the water was yucky after the winter and we wanted to get it clean quickly.

we were advised to use floc by our local pool company!

another source told us that it is quite a good idea to change the water for fresh (we can't empty it completely) from time to time.

No problem, you were only following instructions, its amazing how little some pool shops know.

As you have a salt chlorinated pool it can take some time to get the chlorine level to where it needs to be, always a good idea to shock it at the begining of the season so increasing the level to 5-10ppm of chlorine can be acheived easily and quickly by using un-scented chlorine bleach from a Brico. These are usually available in 20 litre containers for around 18 euros. Chlorine both sanitises the water and oxidises debris from the water.  It is not enough to simply increase the chlorine level you must actually hold the level until you stop getting a large drop in the chlorine level. Your filter bags should be sufficient to remove the large particles without floc which will clog the bags.

Unless there is actually something in the water that you don't require eg Cyanuric acid too high +50ppm or iron, copper or calcium then spending money changing water is not really required. When Chlorine is added via gallets additional chemicals can be added and even non salt pools become salty so in some casses a partial water change may be needed. More often a pool shop tell you to change the water as they have neither the knowledge or test equipment to tell you what is actually wrong, although they will have boxes and boxes of things to put it all right (that you don't need!).

[quote user="Poolguy"]

Makes you wonder doesn't it.... Why all these pool owners bother with a pool system which means all that work. Especially when its now so simple to change it all to a Zeolite filter system. After that its backwashing once a month to clean the filter.... takes about a minute (once a month).

[/quote]

Hi Poolguy - what kind of price are we talking to convert?

Rose

Thanks for the question.

I think that this question is best answered 'off forum' as its a commercial conversation, so if you can email me I'd be glad to respond. ([email protected])

Suffice it to say though that the invention of the Oodle Pod (patents pending) has cut the price of this conversion to 1/4  and the result will be many times better than a traditional pool with skimmers, retrun and a sand filter.

Andrew