stains on liner

mitsi

We are having problems with stains on the liner. One is at the roman end on the water line which is probably sun cream, but more worryingly  we have stains in the centre of the well (deep end) and on the ledge below the jets. Up until now the pool has been spotless but not this year  It could be from leaves, but we've not had the problem before.

Any ideas? rubbing it doesn't get it off.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What colour are the stains. We get rust coloured ones and the cause is not clear but might be from cherry tree leaves or exhausts of passing tractors or from iron impurities in salt tablets, all have been suggested. A particular stain seems to take a year or two to disappear..................................................JR

depends what it is but try a sock with some ph minus in it (powder) and put that ontop of th stain and leave it for 5 mins to see if it starts to reduce - it may take a couple of goes or might even need leaving for longer, difficult to say without seeing it.

Steve

The stain is a brownish colour. One is along half the back ledge that is below the jets the other is by the drain in the deep end about 2 or 3 feet in area. Not sure the sock idea would work, but could be worth a try. Difficult to use any chemical directly of course.

I just read the first paragraph and I quote "scrubbing with a stiff brush may quickly remove a greenish brown colored stain" and also the waterproofing of the liner - Please do not take this advice with a liner - might be OK on tiles, but not a liner!

Steve

I think this might depend on how stiff the brush was. The supplier of our pool provided a brush on the end of a long stick for brushing our pool liner which seems to be intact after 8 years use. The robot they recommend has not as yet done any damage that I can see to the liner. Most of the green algae we get comes off with only a light brushing so I would read the rest of the document!.......................JR

But the article refers to a good scrubbing with a stiff brush - now this to me is a scrubbing brush (you know the ones you use on your door step!) - this will totaly ruin the liner. Any scrubbing on a liner will not do it any good - we look after 24

pools and one has had the water line 'scrubbed' with a green spongy

kitcheny thing (by the previous owner) - its a disaster. use soft

brushes only and like the OP if you have a stain treat it gently.

Steve

Sorry, back to the OP - it sound like algae but without seeing it its difficult to say what it is exactly - reduce the PH to 6.8 ish and chlore shock it, then slowly bring the PH back up to 7.2 to 7.4. This should clear it. good luck

Steve

No, I'm pretty sure it's not algae. It's a brown stain. We do suffer with leaves but we've not encountered this type of stain before. Thanks for the advice re scrubbing. I've used a brush, but not seriously scrubbing - just enough to see it makes no difference. We have guests in at the end of the week, so shocking may not be the answer as we might not get it swimmable in time. Your idea of the sock on a slightly bigger scale might work. Could do with something like a 'bar of soap' with a chemical to rub on, but I'll keep looking.

try the sock trick on a bit of it and see what happens - if it clears up then you will have to drop PH and shock - chlore shock should dissipate after bringing PH back up esp over a couple of days if you run filter 24/7 too. If you were a bit closer would come and have a look for you.

Steve

You could have the begining of Iron plating out on your liner. Certainly, the Bround colour and the fact that it cannot be scrapped off would indicate that.

If you send me a water sample then I can test for Ferrous oxide in the water, or any of the other indicators

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="mitsi"]We are having problems with stains on the liner. One is at the roman end on the water line which is probably sun cream, but more worryingly  we have stains in the centre of the well (deep end) and on the ledge below the jets. Up until now the pool has been spotless but not this year  It could be from leaves, but we've not had the problem before.
Any ideas? rubbing it doesn't get it off.
[/quote]

For anyone who has this problem with stains on the water line PM me for the latest news.

Andrew

With all thisPMing Andrew 3 people know. If the milk monitors would pass judgment from the other thread then perhapse you could tell us what you are doing and let ALL of us know what is going on?

It just takes one doesn't it![:(]

Yes your right John

But As I've been attacked by one of the above posters for commercial activity on the forum I have agreed to restrict such messages to PM.

Its cumbersome and more time consuming for me as well, but hey at least 2 people out of the 000's on the forum aren't offended by this news which is of a commercial nature.

So thanks for your question John

I've PM'ed you

Andrew