Arriving in France Jan 2008

We will be arriving in France to live there permasnently, I will be sixty and my wife will be 56, we will both be retired early, I have rung Newcastle and they have told me to apply for an E106 in late December with a starting date of early January when we arrive.

My question is this , ( I am sure it has probably been asked before) By the fact that we will have valid E106 certificates will we qualify for two years in the French health system and receive 70 percent back and after that two years we will have to find private insurance ???

Thanks

Billy10

Hi Billy.

Yes, you have that pretty much right. 

However, once the first of you reaches UK state pensionable age, you will then be entitled to an E121, so you won't be talking about a very long time with private insurance - in fact you can probably budget reasonably well for it in advance. If your wife gets her E121  first, you may be able to "piggy back" on to it, and get your cover paid by the UK from that date too.

Don't forget that this is France. Anything could happen in the next 5 years and Mr Sarkozy is a desperate man.

Le Monde reports that social contributions will increase from 21.15% to 50% for the early retired from January 2008 onwards.

[quote user="FionaV"]

Le Monde reports that social contributions will increase from 21.15% to 50% for the early retired from January 2008 onwards.

[/quote]

My understanding is that this relates to the social contribution charges paid by a company when they allow an employee early retirement and is not something private people will be paying each year.  It is part of Sarkozy's plan to discourage companies from allowing people to retire early.

People need to keep things in balance.  No good being critical of the magazines and estate agents for underplaying the impacts when ...

Ian