Just received my CPAM letter advising loss of rights on 31/03/08.  Just wanted to understand the last paragraph and I am unsure if I need to do something to retain the rights until then.  Any ideas?

pour bénéficier de cette prolongation je vous invite à vous présenter à votre caisse d'assurance maladie dans les meilleurs délais afin que le service compétent procède à l'enregistrement des droits dans votre carte vitale

In order to benefit from this extension, I invite you to present yourself at your CPAM office as soon as possible so that the "qualified service" can register the rights of your carte vitale.

So yes, you need to get yourself down to your CPAM office.

Just got back from a week away to find not the expected letter but one asking us for our titre de sejour. The letter was posted on the 19th. Delaying tactic?, confirming that we're EU citizens and to be chucked out or looking to see if we're permanent residents and can stay in?

Co-incidentally after the letter asking for all documentation again I sent photocopies of out of date titre + recent attestation from maire and explanation that prefecture didn't have a mechanism for renewment  so they will have crossed in the post.