Health Insurance Requirements etc

OK, I know this has been covered to some extent before.     I have just received a couple of new proposals to consider from my insurance agent (AGF insurance), and I only have to read up to the first line of the PHI requirements as set out by the French government to see that none of the policies suggested to me will be appropriate.     So, I am anyway going to go ahead with the cheapest policy I can find (my E106 expires January), as it is actually all I can really afford.      I assume others will be doing the same.   Realistically however, is there likely, in anyone's view, going to be any checks on the levels of PHI you have, and whether it accords to the regulations?

Secondly, my insurance company have suggested that I contact my bank to ensure that my direct debit is cancelled for my top up insurance.   I actually didn't realise you could do this in France ?     I don't want to cancel too early (primarily in a pre-christmas frenzy of olive eating (with stones) I cracked a tooth in half yesterday.    Talk about timing.   I have a dental appointment tomorrow and am hopeful that I can get the treatment concluded before 05 Jan, as my currrent top up is quite extensive (oh those were the days!).   But I don't want to cancel too late and end up paying for another month for something I don't need and can't use.     Oh sorry, I rambled, is anyone else going to actually call their bank and cancel their direct debit?

Yes, going in tommorow to cancel, having finally received my certificate of resiliation from my mutuelle top up (thanks to pressure from a sympathetic notaire).  From my daughter's experience when they tried to cancel a direct debit I don't think that I will be in time to stop the January 1st premium from going out but assume that the mutuelle will put it back at some point.  I believe that my daughter also had to pay a small fee to cancel a direct debit with CA.

Londoneye, I am stopping myself from digging any deeper into what is set out and what is not.  Given what has happened to us I don't really care if anyone chooses to check, I will face the consequences.

I've had enough of being "British"  playing by all the rules and seaching to find even more that should be adhered to.  Regards, Hester. 

Londoneye, the only thing in your favour seems to be that anybody already here (up until the new residency documentation is finalised and issued to mairies and prefectures) will not actually have to physically prove that they have the requisite insurance cover.  As per

THIS

statement.

So I guess the answer is that you will probably "get away with it" even though you are technically breaking the law!

[quote user="londoneye"]

Secondly, my insurance company have suggested that I contact my bank to ensure that my direct debit is cancelled for my top up insurance.   I actually didn't realise you could do this in France ?   [/quote]

It's possible to cancel direct debits with an  "opposition sur prelevement".  It does cost a small amount to do this, but can sometimes be the only option if you have cancelled an agreement and the other party neglects to terminate the agreement.

[quote user="londoneye"]

OK, I know this has been covered to some extent before.     I have just received a couple of new proposals to consider from my insurance agent (AGF insurance), and I only have to read up to the first line of the PHI requirements as set out by the French government to see that none of the policies suggested to me will be appropriate.     So, I am anyway going to go ahead with the cheapest policy I can find (my E106 expires January), as it is actually all I can really afford.      I assume others will be doing the same.   Realistically however, is there likely, in anyone's view, going to be any checks on the levels of PHI you have, and whether it accords to the regulations?

[/quote]

Londoneye,

We are totally of like mind! Our main concern of course was the issue of dental care: we spoke to our favoured provider  who told us that most insurers exclude dental cover provided by a dentist, but will cover treatment carried out in hospital by an orthodontist. So that will be our argument. Like you we are inclined to take the very cheapest option (with an excess anyway, so that would exclude a whole load of lower cost required cover set out in the French document shown on French health Issues site). Presumably if we can demonstrate our financial viability, we can equally demonstrate ability to pay for items falling within the excess?

Bearing in mind the advice by French Health Issues that when you are applying to join the CMU after 5 years residency then they make ask to see your insurance document to prove that you have had the correct cover - which I agree is quite likely I wonder how that would affect those of us who will be entitled to an E121 in just over 2 years time. In other words is it a right to enter the same system we are now in as holders of E106's or will they too look at what we have done insurance wise in the interim?

Once you have completed five years residency, the conditions for having 'own insurance' in place no longer apply and you automatically acquire the right to affiliate to CMU.  Similarly, in the case of the E121, you automatically acquire the right for affiliation to the general fund.

Your personal insurance situation prior to these event is immaterial and has no bearing on your new legal rights.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Once you have completed five years residency, the conditions for having 'own insurance' in place no longer apply and you automatically acquire the right to affiliate to CMU.  Similarly, in the case of the E121, you automatically acquire the right for affiliation to the general fund.

Your personal insurance situation prior to these event is immaterial and has no bearing on your new legal rights.

[/quote]There is just a chance though that this may come up in terms of having to prove "legal" residence in those 5 years, just as tax returns may.  Probably an outside possiblity but do we really know for certain, S/D?

The point I am trying to make is that whilst the French government may wish to examine the legality of those who are applying under the 5 year rule, those who  receive their E121's before the 5 years are up should I hope just be allowed into the system as a right.

[quote user="Jazzer"]The point I am trying to make is that whilst the French government may wish to examine the legality of those who are applying under the 5 year rule, those who  receive their E121's before the 5 years are up should I hope just be allowed into the system as a right.[/quote]The E121 puts you in the regime generale (like an E106), Jazzer, so no probs there as the UK pays!