Having gone through the recent trauma, like many others, when we were told that we would be 'out of the system' by the end of March 2008 I have now received a demand to pay the '1st trimestre' by URSSAF. This to be paid by the 31/3. Going back to the end of last year we received a letter from CPAM saying that we could remain in the system until 31/3 for a sum of xxxx  euros whilst we look for private cover. This demand was eventually sent by URSSAF and we paid this. As we know things have moved on since and we are now back in 'the system' .Should we now pay this latest demand for the '1st trimestre' or should we contact them to say that CPAM gave us a figure to pay that would take us up to the 31/3, which was paid ?  Maybe others have now received a similar demand. Sounds like they want it both ways, all the worry and stress  it caused many of us at the time was perhaps compensated by the 'one off' payment from last year to March - but it appears not.

I think BaF is correct.  We too have just had a bill for the final quarter of '07 and the first quarter of '08.  Which is correct, as far as we are concerned.  Don't pay twice, obviously, but you will owe all the months since you last paid. The amounts should be the clue for you - they should total 4% of your income, less allowances for the six months (because it's 8% a year.)  Makes sense now?

I thought that I had read it correctly , however perhaps someone can help with the exact translation. The paragraph in the letter I received on 30/10/07 stating that we could not renew our affiliation to the CMU is as follows ;-

Neanmoins , a titre derogatoire et pour vous permettre de disposer du delai necessaire a la recherche d'une autre assurance maladie, vos droits a la CMU sont prolonges jusqu'au 31 mars 2008 moyennant une cotisation de xxx euros. (their bold words)

I later received the 'bill' from URSSAF of that amount which I paid.  Now I have this latest 'bill' from them. I thought that the paragraph read that my affiliation to CMU was being stoped but they would allow an extra period (31/3) to find alternative arrangements, and that the cost would be  xxx euros as stated in the CPAM letter. Have I got it wrong ?

Ah, with you now.  You've been let back in, as has everybody who was a current CMU subscriber.  But which period is covered by the second bill isn't really clear from those extracts.  The burning question is, did you pay the 4th quarter of 2007?  If not, then you certainly now owe two quarters' worth - including 1st quarter 2008.  Your new URSSAF bill may also show further payments to be made.

Dreamers

The 30 October letter advised you that your CMU was being extended to 31 March to give you time to seek alternative cover and mentioned the cotisation that you'd have to continue paying until your CMU expires in March.  This is the normal quarterly cotisation - not a 'total' for the period up till expiry. 

I suspect the confusion has arisen because the figure quoted in the letter would have been calculated on the new 'health year' basis and will have represented an increase over your previous quarterly bills.  You've probably assumed that it was a composite figure for October to March.

The bill you paid was the normal December one for Q4/2007.  The new one you've received is the normal March one for Q1/2008.

We got our letter saying we have been accepted back into the CMU today (Angouleme area 16) together with an attestation and a notification of cotisations payable from 1/10/07 to 30/09/08. The attestation is covering 1/4/2004 to 31/12/2024, lets hope we are still around then!

We visited CPAM local office on Wednesday of this week as we were getting a little concerned with the delay. It seems if you go and complain your file gets shoved to the top, hence the fast response to our visit. The guy we seen at CPAM also said it is essential to update your Carte Vitale as soon as possible after the letter has been received.

We also were getting concerned as 31st March was getting nearer and we'd heard nothing, so visited CPAM Angouleme on Tuesday. The lady we saw had to 'phone a colleague to ask them to get our file out and said they would contact us. We received a 'phone call on Wednesday to say that all was in order and that we would hear from them in the next week. Our letter of re-admittance and attestation were received today.

Many thanks to frenchhealthissues and everyone else who campaigned on behalf of us all.

We never got a letter saying that we had been excluded probably because we have been here for four years and having being paying into the system for two and I think we are up to date with our payments.  However we have just had a letter advising our payments for the coming year, November 2007 to October 2008 and note that our contributions have nearly doubled despite only having declared a small increase on our income (less than 1500 Euros) for 2006. We await our first invoice with baited breath. In the meantime we will try and query the demand.