French Babies

Egg

Does anyone have young babies out there?  My baby is nearly 6 months old and when we moved to France was totally breastfed.  He is now moving onto bottled milk and I wonder which milk is recommended for babies of this age?  I've noticed some ready made milk for babies of over 10 months.  I am looking for something similar to SMA gold i.e. from new born.  I'm not looking for follow on milk. 

If anyone knows about this I would be grateful to hear from you.  Also I'm quite keen to get some sort of French guide to weaning etc.  Do you know if you would just get this at the DRs or elsewhere or any websites would be good too.

Thanks very much

Ask around, that is how we found ours by recommendation.  Or you could look in the yellow pages. There isn't all the post natal things here that in the UK. Different system, so I would get a doctor ASAP. You will be expected to start your child's innoculation jabs done  here too. And when very small the first TB checks are done and the first vaccinations against TB too.

contact your mairie or your CPAM and ask for the details of your local PMI. This is like a health centre type thing in the UK. I gave birth 5 weeks ago and got in contact with my PMI when I had problems with feeding. They have midwives and doctors that will advise and do all the check ups, vaccinations, etc etc all without any charge. They told me which formula to buy and have been very helpful even visiting me twice at home.

HTH

Pippa

Baby Milk is different in france, the Lecithin content is different which tends to make babies feel more full-up and there is another variety which is quite gloopy.  From a cost point of view baby milk is much more expensive - I found it cheaper to bulk import it from the UK and it worked out slightly less even with postage. 

The croissance milk is the ready-made milk to which you refer.  I don't really like this as it is quite sweet (its flavoured with Vanilla -babies love it) and sets a precedent for a sweet tooth in my opinion.

At aged 1 I encouraged my children to drink full milk here - much to the horror of the paedatrician, but again I prefer to give my children fresh milk as opposed to UHT -style crissance milk.  French milk is not as good as English milk, but the full-fat variety is not bad.  Its all down to your preferance and what you feel comfortable doing.

Visit a paedetrician, listen to their advice and go with your views on what you believe is right for your child.  Paeds here tend to dish out medication and vitamins like sweeties - be prepared to come away from the Paed/Doctor with at list 5 items of medication - even for the common cold you will get eye drops, nose drops, snot-suckers(!) cough medicine, baby-paracetamol and I am not exaggerating either.  Paeds/Docs tend to give paracetamol in suppository format as well, it is quite good to get your young baby used to this early on if you prefer to use them, if you don't you can always ask for this in liquid format.

Hope this info helps.

Deby

Hi there,

I costed out formula when I weaned my daughter at 7 months. It was actually cheaper for me to buy the brand that the chemist sold (Novalac) than the hypermarket Gallia, Nestlé etc... Our chemist is open till 8.00pm so I reckoned it was just as easy to drop in there, I also got advice thrown in when I needed it. If you have a type of milk in mind, why don't you go along to a French chemist and say that you want something similar.

Katie

Be prepared for french advice on feeding. They do expect babies to sleep through quite early on. So love to add things to the bottle. It is all a matter of preference I suppose. One doctor suggested boiling the veggies for 40minutes to make a puree for weaning. Well I can't see how many vitamins a baby will get out of that.

With regards to milk, go to your pharmacie. They can advise you as to which milk is best for the age. Probably the deuxieme age from 5 months is what you are looking for. It is in powdered format.

CJ

[quote]Be prepared for french advice on feeding. They do expect babies to sleep through quite early on. So love to add things to the bottle. It is all a matter of preference I suppose. One doctor suggest...[/quote]

Hi

Thanks CJ