Bereavement

Chalky

I have very recently lost my husband who died here in france after a long battle against cancer. The treatment he received here was the very best possible. Among all the  problems of coping and trying to face life without him I now find that my E106 is about to run out. My husband had an E121 of his own and I was going to be added to this at the end of this month. Does anyone know if I will still be eligible to go onto his or will I be able to get one (E121) of my own if I receive a bereavement allowance?

Sorry to hear your news,why not give newcastle a ring, I assume they have sent you a letter to inform you that your cover expires soon(we recently got one for my e106) they were very helpfull and advised me what to do next. regards Mrs O

As this duplicated post seems to be attracting replies, just to keep things on the right footing, this is what Owen wrote in reply to the other post:

Hello,

Without full details it is always difficult to give precise advice but there is a time factor here.

You should approach this in 2 ways. Get in touch with the DWP in Newcastle, explain the situation and as a widow I believe you will obtain E121, which will be valid for another year or your cover will be maintained for the same period by virtue of your late husbands E121.

As your E106 is probably going to expire at the end of this month you should also explain the situation to the CPAM telling them you are attempting to obtain E121 via your status as a widow. I think you will find CPAM very accommodating in these circumstances. If for some reason cover is not continued by these means then your rights will continue under residence criteria, but go down the E121 route first.

I would be interested to know how it works out.

Regards

Peter Owen
[email protected]

Dear Chalky,

I to am very sorry to hear this sad news and would like to add my condolences.

My wife lost her mother recently through the same terrible disease except unfortunately she was in the UK and her treatment was not as good as in France. I know this as a close friend also has the same problem in France and her treatment and care is much better.

I wondered if you, or any body else, might know if there is bereavement counciling in France (and what it is called) as my wife would be very interested in this because she is not coping very well at present.

Kindest Regards

Chris

Quillan

Have a look at http://www.counsellinginfrance.com - it looks as if there could be a couple of counsellors not far from you. The site has a lot of links to related organisations - I can thoroughly recommend it to anybody who, for whatever reason, is having a bit of a hard time in France and would like to talk to somebody in your own language. Telephone and e-mail counselling are also available.

Chalky - my thoughts are with you and I hope that despite it being a very difficult time it all works out for you.

To everybody else - I know of a couple of people near us in France who this year suddenly and unexpectedly lost their partners. Looking at their experiences I cannot stress how important it is to get your affairs sorted out, particularly with regard to the inheritance issues. It also helps to know somebody French, or at least fluently bilingual and who knows how things work in France, to whom you can turn when there are so many formalities to see to. A lot of people look down on Anglo-French societies and expat groups, but in times like that they can provide really good friends.

[quote]Quillan Have a look at http://www.counsellinginfrance.com - it looks as if there could be a couple of counsellors not far from you. The site has a lot of links to related organisations - I can thor...[/quote]

Will,

I took a look at this site. It seems to be very good and I am sure there are a lot of people who might benefit from it at some point in their lives. Perhaps it should be posted under Useful Links etc. or the Health section at the beginning of the forum.

Gill

Just like to thank everyone for their replies and suggestions. I am lucky to have a French friend in the village who has been helping me with some of the paperwork. I have phoned Newcastle and they have told me that as I will be entitled to a bereavement allowance for a year I will receive an E121. As my 106 expires this month they have promised to do this quickly. CPAM said they were unable to extend my cover, while waiting for 121, but to keep any receipts and they will reimburse them when the form comes through.Hopefully there won't be any.

I have also found the bank helpful and have an appointment with our notaire in the new year.

Thanks for the counselling website which I shall visit next.

Again thanks to everyone for your help

Chalky