Carte Vitale

Piddy

We have received a paper Attestation from the local CPAM and so are now in the french health system, but for several months I assumed that a nice handy plastic card would follow.

It has not. When I telephoned the office to enquire I could not keep up with the break-neck speed of the answer and think that he was talking about telegraph poles and fishing nets!

Can someone tell me whether one of these Carte Vitales will materialise automatically or do I need to go and see the CPAM and discuss more items related to the national grid and sporting goods!

Piddy.

I am afraid you will have to be patient. You will probably find that it is the DSS in the UK who are dragging their heels when the CPAM have sent papers to them to verify for your application. The CV will eventually turn up,it just takes longer here.

It should happen automatically.  Ours took THREE YEARS to arrive - probably because my husband was not born in EEC or similarly "civilised" area and therefore his birth certificate was hard for them to verify.  I think in the end they were so tired of me nagging them they just gave in.  Other people here have had theirs within only a few months.

Chrissie (81)

My CPAM paper attestation was issued in the strength of my E106. When I enquired about my plastic card I was informed that one would not be issued until I began to pay into the French system.

But don't worry if you only have paper not plastic - your benefits are just the same except that you will have to pay the doctor, pharmacy etc and then send your form off to CPAM and await reimbursement.

John

not

I'm fully in the French social security system, a secondary card for a family member already named on the attestation took 9 months to arrive, we were told that the place that produces the actual cards was having delays.

In-laws were issued Carte Vitales dated to start immediately after their E106's expired.

All in all a bit of a mystery!

Hmmm.

similar to Iceni, we are running on a paper Attestation. Interestingly, we had a handwritten one with the 4 of us on, and latterly a typed one with me not on. The Attestation runs to 2009.

I have sent a paper claim in (from GP) for myself and had it bounced because I should be on the E111, which I do have.

My E111 runs out in July. I don't have a UK address now, so I suspect I cannot renew this? I also work for a UK Company, and get taxed there.

Any advice? Even if it's rude!

Just for information, my wife and I arrived here in the 'Lot' in January 2004, within a few weeks we went to CPAM in Cahors and received the paper 'attestation using our E106's. We were prepared for a long wait after that, but 'hey presto' within about 3 weeks we both received our Carte Vitales, and a godsend they have been. Seems to be that some areas are more efficient than others.