A pure observation in France.

maude

During the last 4 years of living here " permanentlty" we are always amazed at the almost far eastern custom of swaddling children,with all disregard to the actual weather.Are they programmed body temperatuer wise different to us "hard" Brits?We often remark on the number of babies, toddlers in fleeces, wooly hats,thick trousers etc irrespective of the air temperature whenever ther is no glaring sun.Today shade temp in S.E Vendee 28oC and although at times a trifle dull,seen a number of small children wrapped up as though it was Bergen in november!In light of the thinking  about the possible causes of cot-deaths  being linked to overheating ,does anyone know of the numbers in FRance?In fact our own doctorif there is anything more than a fly fart of wind about,always says " be carefull"!The same babies mentioned are usually accompanied by their parents half undressed in the statutory casual gear.Just a concern we have voiced to each other in our ongoing curiosities of the country, in many areas. Puzzled.    Maude

Well Maude I don't doubt you, but I have often remarked on the same thing in Sheffield!

It just seems to be the 'done thing' there, to wrap babies up as though an Ice Age was about to descend (wasn't one predicted a few years ago?). It was never my instinct to over-dress, hence frequent conversations on buses beginning ''eh, tha wants to get a couple a hats on that bebeh, tha does."

In Manchester, just 40 odd miles away, the baby dressing code is quite different, and I think better.

What I have noticed here is that people start wrapping up (cardigans etc) if it goes below 28°C, but as all the people I know/spend any time with are a lot older than me (in their late 60's on) the explanation for that may lie there?

Going back to babies, I was really pleased to see my newish great neice (Sheffield born and bred) dressed in simple cotton clothes, rather than a denim/leather ensemble, no shoes at 10 months (why do people do this, if they can't walk anyway?) and going to sleep for the night in a nappy and light vest.

I don't noitice the local babies dressed that warmly, but all the older villagers (especially the women) do the same as the people in Tresco's area.  My in-laws are visiting (only one more day, only one more day!!!!) and my MIL had a look of horror on her face when we told her that we keep the house at 17 during the day in winter, and 19 for a couple of hours in the evening and morning, then 17 again to sleep.  She keeps their place at 26!!!  I hate visiting them in the winter, as I feel as if I'm going to die of heat exhaustion.

The weather here has been lovely, and she's been wearing a sweater the whole time.  She keeps the window in the guest room closed and can't stand ANY breeze of any kind.  Personally, I think it's rather unhealthy, but what are you gonna do?  It's a lifetime of habit.

PG

PossumGirl - oh you had me laughing.  One more day !!  I can so relate.  Love them when they come, but they stay for about 3 months so, by then, I'm counting too.

We also keep the house at 17 in winter.  If we didn't we'd pay a fortune for fioul.  We have a couple of good electric heaters we can turn on for a few minutes if we are really frozen.  26 seems very hot.  I think it would be hard to go outside from such a warm inside temp.  Oh well, to each his own.

Maude I fully agree with you. Once the summer hits we ditch all forms of footwear here. My kids go around healthily barefooted. I take my two youngest to the shops with me and they have on nothing but a nappy/shorts. No shoes especially, and you should see the disapproving looks!. A child with no shoes on seems to be a bit of a sin here. I wonder if it is because everyone is so fashion conscious?. Meanwhile I see all these poor babies in stifling  prams and little kids dressed up to the nines in way too many clothes for this weather. I notice though that people dont bother putting hats on their kids and thats one thing necessary in the heat.

[quote user="Lori"]

PossumGirl - oh you had me laughing.  One more day !!  I can so relate.  Love them when they come, but they stay for about 3 months so, by then, I'm counting too.

[/quote]

THREE MONTHS, Lori????  I would surely kill them or myself by then.  This was their first visit here and unfortunately, it went very well for them. They got off the train in Toulon and were ready to get on the next train back.  I'm quite worried that this means more frequent visits in the future. To keep this " health" related, this will NOT be good for my health!

PG

Yes, 3 months and to top it all off, my MIL does not speak English OR French.  Try that for 3 months.  Oh and yes, to keep it on health topic, at the end of the 2nd month I had to go see my doctor over the stress.....

Glad yours enjoyed themselves.  Says alot about you.

[quote user="Lori"]

Yes, 3 months and to top it all off, my MIL does not speak English OR French.  Try that for 3 months.  Oh and yes, to keep it on health topic, at the end of the 2nd month I had to go see my doctor over the stress.....

Glad yours enjoyed themselves.  Says alot about you.

[/quote]

Hope you don't mind me being curious, but what language does your MIL speak?

[quote user="Lori"]We also keep the house at 17 in winter.  If we didn't we'd pay a fortune for fioul.  We have a couple of good electric heaters we can turn on for a few minutes if we are really frozen.  26 seems very hot.  I think it would be hard to go outside from such a warm inside temp. [/quote]

Yessss! We don't have a "hot house" in winter - about 18 deg seems fine daytime and in the evening, a woodburning stove tops up the heat or alternatively, we have lengths of polartec if we feel a bit chilled when sitting watching tv, which is kinda cosy. I can't stand hot, airless homes, it's not healthy.

Possum Girl - no, I speak a few sentences of Arabic, but no Hebrew.  Hence after a couple of months with them in my house, I was ready to scream.  They are nice people, but when folks are living in your house with you and you cannot really communicate with them, it takes the fun out of it.

Sorry to get off topic.