Question for the mums out there

Rosebud

To anybody who's had a baby in France.....

I have to go for my 12 week scan later today. It's not at the doctors but at a special X-Ray/Scanning centre in town, and I've been told to turn up one hour before my appointment with a full bladder.  Does anybody know why this is? I've never been asked to do this before.....

The thought of sitting for one hour with a full bladder is pure torture!!!![:-))]

Rosebud, it is nearly 9 years since I had a baby and I have did not have her in France, but I remember quite clearly from the scans I had that when I turned up at the clinic I was asked if I had been to the loo recently. I answered yes........wrong! I was then told that the drinks fountain was at my disposal and to have 2or 3 cups of water and not go to the loo again. Aparently a full bladder gives a better picture[B] . perhaps someone medicaly qualified can answer better.  I should turn up on time having had just one glass and sip from a bottle of water for the rest of your wait , so the bladder would be full only near scan time.

A agree with Opas - you need to have a full bladder in order to see the baby more clearly during an external scan (where they put the scanner over your belly). You are lucky - every scan I've had so far in France at the hospital has been an internal one - I'd rather have the full bladder!

I've had a few scans in my time... the first one's being in the UK where I was instructed that a full bladder was necessary, they then went on to do a very thorough scan with alot of pressure - I couldn't even look at the screen because I was so distracted [:$].  Thankfully they noticed my discomfort and allowed me to go and relieve myself before continuing with the scan.

However, while living in Holland I was always instructed to use the ladies before any scan. 

[8-)]  I could understand the full bladder/better picture scenario, but after Holland - I no longer know.

Hello everybody

Well, I did a bit of research, asked around my friends and came to the conclusion that I should not pee for one hour before the examination.  This I did and it was fine, if a little uncomfy! 

I knew that a full bladder was necessary for the scan, but just couldn't understand why I had to have one for a full hour beforehand!  Anyway, I think I must have misunderstood the one hour business, as I turned up on time and went straight in for the scan.

All is well, the little one is about 7.5cm long and all vital organs are working.....yippee!!

Thanks  for all your reassurance and best wishes.......