Medical emergencies in USA

Bastet

Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum for this, but I'll try anyway.

Local friends - fellow French residents, are going to the US for two weeks holiday but have had no luck in finding reasonably priced travel health insurance. They don't need inusrance for belongings - their household cover provides that; just medical.

CPAM have said they will reimburse expenses but knowing the high cost of health care in the US, that could mean being asked to pay thousands of dollars up-front.  Simply not possible.

Does anyone have recommendations of an insurer which offers this at a realistic cost, preferably on-line?

Thanks

Yeah, Trailfinders.  Quick internet service and good value although I have never had to claim.  They were recommended to me by my insurance broker here even though he got no commission.  He warned me off French travel insurance as it's so expensive!  European addresses are acceptable to them. www.trailfinders.com

We used to have U.S. coverage through GAN, which was offered to French citizens living and travelling in the U.S.  You might check and see if it is still available.  They paid very well and rapidly at the time.

I definitely don't recommend anyone travelling to the States without some type of health coverage.  Mr. Possum had prostatitis several years ago and wound up in an Emergency Room.  Three hours of treatment came to over $10,000!

PG

We've used this company several times and found they are very affordable with good policies.  They were much cheaper than the French alternative we were offered by Thomas Cook travel.

You can get online quotes too.  I have dealt with Whit Galeski many times and found him to be honest and most helpful.  Other than that, I have no other connection to this company.

http://www.globalmedicalsecurity.com/plans_temporary_US_visitor.htm

Thank you to everyone who has replied so promptly and helpfully.  Our friends came and used our computer (theirs being en panne) and have arranged their insurance using one of your recommendations. A big weight off their minds. They are very grateful for all the input.