Advice on health cover

Pancake

This is a bit of a grey area for me as I dont know alot about the French health system.When we move over to France from Australia next month we will have the Oz pension and because we came from the UK I now have a small pension from them as well.My question is what kind of health insurance/cover will I need to get.Will I be eligable for anything French.? What is the best way to go about it ?

You will probably have to join the health system by registering at the CPAM offices for your département and contributing 8% of your income over about 7000€. This should be done within three months of taking up residence. Very basically, this will entitle you to a percentage of your healthcare costs, medications etc - usually  70% or 65%. You can then purchase one of various top-up plans from insurers to cover the rest.

If you are over state retirement age, and in receipt of a pension from another EU country, you may be eligible for an E121 form which will automatically give you the basic cover (you would still need the top-up though). But this may not apply to you as an Australian resident.

Why not get the information straight from CPAM? There is an English-speaking help line, +33 820 904 212 Monday to Friday 9am-6pm (French time).

Hi Pancake:  What type of VISA are you entering France with?  Not sure about Australian citizens, but I am American and entered on a Long Stay Shenghen VISA.  I was REQUIRED to have private health coverage.  I am not allowed to enter the French health system.  I have to provide proof of medical health cover (among many other things) each year when I renew my Carte de Sejour.  I am not allowed to work in France for five years.  I am in my sixth year now, so I could apply for a different type of residency, but for, I have not.  My Carte de Sejour notes clearly that I am not allowed to work here.

So, for people that arrive from Non-EU countries, it will depend upon what type of VISA you arrive with.  If you are married to an EU citizen or are being offered a job in France (among other possible types of entry), the situation is different.  That is why I asked.

There are those of us who aren't allowed to join the system.

Lori...

We have duel citizanship,Brit and Aussie and as we will be using our Brit faces when we land in France I dont see any problems.We have gone into all the details...but....knowing the French way of things I dont expect it  to be set in concrete [:D]

[quote user="Pancake"]

Lori...

We have duel citizanship,Brit and Aussie and as we will be using our Brit faces when we land in France 

[/quote]

That will be the passports with the pictures without the corks on the hats then ?................[:D]