Hernia op!

Frogslegs

Hubby may have a hernia and the doctor asked us if he wanted the operation carried out in a hospital or clinic! Anyone had the operation here in France? Seeing a consultant next tuesday...the evening before our planned overdue holiday to blighty....it snowed last year in March and the plane could not land at Poitiers...so the holiday was cancelled, are we jinxed?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

the joys or renovating eh![:(]

Yes.I had the op here,I won't say it was a pleasure but the Clinique Esperance was spotless,the staff pleasant and businesslike and the food was top quality. Absolutely no complaints.Cost in the end 50euros, all the rest paid by the Mutual. Double room with a French chap and on TV was the European Cup!!!

The only grouse I had was that my brother and my B.i.Law ,both having had the op in UK, said tiny little cut,3 staples and that's it. Back to work in a week or so.. I was a bit worried when the nurse came in with a mini lawn-mower and shaved me from my knees to my my armpits!!! I had an epidural,as I'd had a heart attack some years previous, and that was an experience in itself.  When I had the op I was obviously awake and the surgeon kept popping his head over the midriff curtain and asking if I was alright. When I heard the staple-gun start I knew it was nearly over but as the clicks went up to 16 , I did get a bit of a panic.

The funniest part was my wife,an ex nurse, said as I was having an Epidural they would probably fit a Catheter!!!   This I didn't like the sound of and after the op in the post-op room a nurse approached  with what looked like a hoover tube connected to a white box,I thought it was a complete WASTE disposal system. She lifted the sheet and as I TRIED to clench ny buttocks together she walked away and turned the tube on,a warm air heater.

Regards.

Just ensure the establishment of your choice is conventionné, i.e. that it follows the tariffs agreed by the Sécurité Sociale.

If it is not, any dépassement (excess tariff) may not be fully covered by your mutuelle and the difference would come out of your pocket.

This is one of those HUGE cultural differences with the U.S.  Everyone I know who has had a hernia op has had it as outpatient surgery!  In for the op; sent home the same day a few hours afterwards.  A good friend (69-years-old) just had one done last week. He actually got home from hospital and emailed us the same day to let us know he was all right!  I can't imagine ANY U.S. insurance provider paying for 5 days in hospital for a complication-free hernia op!

PG

As an add-on to my posting.I was still paying Nat Ins in Uk at the same time and phoned my UK doc to see what the time scale was with the op. Average 4 months to see a Consultant and 6-10 months for the op.I kid you not. I saw the consultant in St.Malo 2 days after doc's, Anaesthetist next day and when my wife asked , jokingly, if I could have the op next day,the consultant said ," Sorry busy then,3 daysOK?" I was in for 3 days.Very efficient and no complaints and no unwanted infections. As regards the private health care regime trumpeted by all and sundry in the UK,if you have any ongoing health problems ,they don't want to know, so you have to rely on NHS.

Regards.    www.ourinns.org

So gastines, did 'you' pay for your op in France or was it taken care of by the french health service?

I only ask as for all we will be paying MORE than full whack into it when we leave, yet, will have no 'rights' what so ever in France.As non residents we have a surcharge to pay to the SS, likewise with income tax too

Teamedup. As previously stated I had to pay an extra of 50E. While you may wonder at the reasons and I'll leave you wondering , I was actually paying Tax and Nat ins in the UK just past the time this op was required.I was also paying the FULL requirements here in France. I thought I would have to pay for the op here as I wanted to get it done A.S.A.P. The cost in the end was, from memory, about 1450e.  I was more than surprised to be presented with a bill at the clinic for 50E and told that everything else was in order. Perhaps some unknown benefactor paid the rest but I'll keep watching the post in case a delayed bill arrives. The other points on your posting I'm afraid I can't comprehend.

Bonne Weekend.

Regards.

Gastines and Teamed Up - could it be that the 50 euros you had to pay in the end, Gastines, is the "forfait hospitalier" which is effectively, your bed and board? This is now 16 euros per day, and even if your op is covered by Secu or other health insurance, it is something that can come as a surprise. Of course there is nothing like it in the NHS.

after the op in the post-op room a nurse approached  with what looked like a hoover tube connected to a white box,I thought it was a complete WASTE disposal system. She lifted the sheet and as I TRIED to clench ny buttocks together she walked away and turned the tube on,a warm air heater.

ha, ha, ha....Hubby has just read the post and nearly caused him another hernia![:D]

To 5-element. To be honest I have no idea how it was made up but at 50E, I didn't think I'd start argueing or questioning. I will say that I was paying the 100% top up but like most things to do with Doc's, Dentist and other related subjects, what you get for your money  seems to vary day by day and whom you ask. To date concerning any of the above I have no complaints only praise. I have thought  that if you had to pay for a visit to the doc and a bit more for your NHS it might not be in the state it's in now and might get rid of the malingerers the system seems to encourage. Another reason to rest in France!! That should bring a response!!

Regards.  www.ourinns.org

Gastines, were you living and working in the UK then. You see we will be paying in France, but we have been told straight that we ONLY have the right to pay in France, but not use the system when we leave. We can pay in one country, but once the E106 is in place then we lose our rights to use where we are paying.The whole thing is like trying to wade through very thick porridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Met the surgeon in Niort last Tuesday..op on 17th of April, probably sooner but we have just returned from one weeks holiday. Choice of tradional stitching or a prosthetic patch (which I believe is only offered privately in U.K.) where the recovery rate is far quicker. Meeting the anethiatist this Tuesday and I think he is going to opt for a local!! [+o(](braver than me)

[quote user="Frogslegs"] Choice of tradional stitching or a prosthetic patch (which I believe is only offered privately in U.K.) where the recovery rate is far quicker. [/quote]

My advice - go for the patch; my OH did 13 years ago and has not had any problem at all with the repair. In those days the patch option was not available on the NHS (as it is now) so he had the operation done under local anaesthetic at a clinic in London. He was self-employed at the time and could not afford to take the 8 - 12 weeks necessary to recover from the traditional stitching method.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Well its less than four weeks since my original message..hubby has had the op, went for the patch under local anest. left hospital day after op, most of the stitches out the day after! Excellent service in Niort hospital. Weather is superb so it will make a change for him to relax in the garden while recuperating.[8-|]

Excellent news - hope everything continues to go well for him.

The trouble with my OH was he felt so well so quickly following his patch operation I found it difficult to stop him doing things too soon. He wanted to drive the car straight away, he wanted to play golf straight away - all things that would have put unneeded strain on the patch site - he was a real pain.

Sue [Www]