GP's fees

Colonel Mustard

My doctor always gives me a 10-15 minute consultation (compared to 3.764 minutes in the UK).  He continues to work through the lunch period and has two weeks annual holiday plus the usual national days. 

So, working on four patients an hour over eight hours, over five days, thats 160 consultations a week.  At 22€ a go, thats 3,520€ a week.....

We used to have French Doctor's receptionist on here and I'm sure she said apart from before registration, that some French people used to go to every doctor in town until they found one that agreed with their diagnosis[:D], that they are paid a salary.  I don't remember if it was registered patients related, in fact it could not have been then as nobody was registered with a Doctor were they?  However, I know a man who does know,  his dad is one of the Doctors here.  I remember the salary does not compare at all with GPs in the UK, it was about 45000€ and from that they had to pay their own surgery expenses like rent, lighting and receptionists wages.

Four patients an hour represents a pretty reasonable income, much more as an hourly rate than most people are able to charge in France, and they too have to provide their own premises, secretaries/receptionists etc. I am sure I remember our doctor in France saying that she relies solely on what she gets from patients for consultations, and could not afford a receptionist etc (not even a computer - she was complaining about having to install one and learn how to use it to comply with the forthcoming rules about records). Her surgery is the sous-sol below her house. There are plenty of doctors like her in rural France.

I know people in France who receive the SMIC (8.44€ per hour) and have to pay their own business-related expenses, like a decent car with full passenger liability insurance, fuel, phone etc. A 'meagre' 45,000€ salary is a far-off dream.

I have been wondering about the OP question myself lately, I work for a doctor,  , she drives a top of the range car and hubby has his own car and plays with motorbikes, they have a beautifull home which is looked after by a daily cleaner.

the money I get paid comes in very handy so I do not want to rock the boat by asking personal questions, so I too wonder if there is some kind of government salary aside from her 20+ euros per consultation. Just curious, sing as if one looks at the ANPE website and searches for a job as a Medicin , it apears with a salary which doesn't apear very well paid......so is this in addition to the consultation fee?

A friend of ours is a GP in Normandy, he has chosen to be a locum.  He says they do not receive a salary from the State, their income is the 21 euros they receive from the patient, and they have to pay all their outgoings from that money, and arrange their holiday cover etc.  As he is single he says he prefers to be a locum, so he does not have to pay any outgoings from his income or find holiday cover.  I was remarking on our GP not having a receptionist/telephonist but dealing with the adminstration herself, he said it was because it had to come out of their 21 euro per patient.