mobility and invalidity claimable?

n11xxy

The problem could be using the EHIC for ongoing medication and then getting the money back in the UK.  It's not an emergency and theoretically may be covered by urgent need but if this is an ongoing medical condition, it's not an emergency, it's ongoing treatment and I think that you'd only be able to do this once, not month after month or year after year.

In view of Nickel's points about the content of the patches, I would speak to your Dad's local primary healthcare authority to see if they can help (they employ the GP and do have more discretion) and also speak to the CPAM English language help line so see what their view is.  

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

The problem could be using the EHIC for ongoing medication and then getting the money back in the UK.  It's not an emergency and theoretically may be covered by urgent need but if this is an ongoing medical condition, it's not an emergency, it's ongoing treatment and I think that you'd only be able to do this once, not month after month or year after year.

In view of Nickel's points about the content of the patches, I would speak to your Dad's local primary healthcare authority to see if they can help (they employ the GP and do have more discretion) and also speak to the CPAM English language help line so see what their view is.  

[/quote]

I don't think it should be a problem  if the person is genuinely a temporary visitor. It wouldn't provide ongoing care but it could provide for an extended stay. The  difference between the EHIC (CEAM) and the E111.is that the  CEAM covers any treatment you need for a chronic disease or pre-existing illness. It  is for example possible to organise dialysis in another European country.

I recently had to return to the UK to look my after my mother, I only stayed for 6 weeks so  didn't actuallly need it  this time  but when I asked,  my mother's  GP had no qualms about  me using the card  and offered to provide  prescriptions for insulin etc she also said that she'd  oganise my regular blood tests. The info with the CEAM carte says simply that it ' facicilite la prise en charge de vos soins .......pour un sejour temporaire, (etudes, stages, vacances, missions professsionelles...).

That is the theory of it Helen and obviously in your case the GP was willing to give you treatment on the card.  But that doesn't detract from the fact that in France, I've recently seen two cases where the EHIC/CEAM card was refused for similar ongoing treatments, one in a hospital and one in a GP's surgery, the reason being that CPAM had instructed medics in this area that it can only still be used for emergency treatment.

And of course, if there's a fee involved, you'll likely have to pay up front and reclaim in the country of issue, the card does not bestow the right to free treatment, just treatment.

Acccording to the staff in Blackpool who I have been talking to over the last few months and who assess and administrate DLA, the mobility part of DLA will continue to be payed if it the higher component and the claimant was receving this allowance BEFORE 1992. Also an E121 will be available to such people. 'Mobility Allowance' was the benefit previous to DLA and came into being in 1992. I will find out if this is the case when I move March.

Charente, they are the rules as imposed over the past few years, prior to the AG's decision of October last and the reasopn why claimants were removed from DLA if they were on the middle or lower rates of DLA for care.  There is another thread updated regularly by me, with the progress being made about this issue with the DLA office in the UK.

Confusion often arises because many people (including officials, particularly those in France) think the EHIC/CEAM is a direct replacement for the old E111, which offered only temporary cover for emergencies. It actually replaced several forms, including E110, E111B and, most important, E128. So although the EHIC is primarily for emergency cover it also offers the opportunity of receiving treatment on a slightly longer-term basis. CPAMs are right to query it if they suspect the EHIC is being used for 'health tourism', but under the circumstances described it should be acceptable. The EHIC is not a substitute for proper health cover, of course, and it is best to confirm with the Department of Health that it will be suitable for your needs before you go.

[quote user="n11xxy"]Can anyone give any insight to the piece in the Telegraph click here

thank you
[/quote]How much insight would you like?[:D]  We worked closely with the journalist concerned, on this article, which is one of the more factually correct which has appeared.

I can give you the 1 page or the 100 page version...

For all you want to know on the health care changes (and a lot you probably don't) see

www.frenchhealthissues.eu

Honestly, what specific info' are you after n11xxy?

in relation with my father in law when I started the thread mainly, the way I read it then it is as everyone has been saying, he is full pensionable age and he would qualify for the health care he needs if he was to move over full time, or am I reading the bits that suit and not taking everything in a whole context.

thank you.

"He is full pensionable age and he would qualify for the health care he needs if he was to move over full time,"

OK again.

Yes up to 70% of the cost, the rest he would have to pay or get covered by a top up insurance.  Some conditions assessed by a French doctor can attract 100% reimbursements.  If your FIL moved full time his pension etc would be taxed in France and depending how much he gets he could pay tax and social charges on savings interest etc.  As SD said, if it matters financially,  do the sums and work out whether full time living in France would be more beneficial than commuting but also remember that bringing elderley people to a foreign land where they will not be able to converse, get about in the car so easily and have little to do,  might not be the best decision as many have found to their cost.