After 5 years residency

Doodle

Hi,

Some months ago when we were unsure of whether or not early retirees would be able to join the CMU, I think I read a post saying that once in the system you have to pay into it for the next 5 years only after that payments cease and you just carry on with the top up insurance.

I can't find the post, could someone confirm as I repeated this to my OH at the time and may well be in hot water if I've got it wrong !

Thanks in advance....Chris

[quote user="knee gel"]Hi, Some months ago when we were unsure of whether or not early retirees would be able to join the CMU, I think I read a post saying that once in the system you have to pay into it for the next 5 years only after that payments cease and you just carry on with the top up insurance. 

There was no such post on here, that I can recall, you are confusing residence with getting an E121.

Five years residency gives you entry to the CMU if you were not in it in November 2007.  You stop paying into and leave the CMU when you receive by whatever means, an E121 form from the UK.  With an E121 form you have equivelant cover to that provided by the CMU and you can if you wish continue with a complementaire for the rest.

I can't find the post, could someone confirm as I repeated this to my OH at the time and may well be in hot water if I've got it wrong ! Thanks in advance....Chris[/quote] 

Cold water is good for scolds[:P]

Thanks, having read your response I've now twigged on to what I did tell the OH which was at the time we would have to pay for 100% private health insurance for 5 years and then would be able to enter the CMU. I think I lost the plot for a while the brain being befuddled at the moment with tax forms !

Time for a cuppa and a bit of chocolate I think !

[quote user="knee gel"]Thanks, having read your response I've now twigged on to what I did tell the OH which was at the time we would have to pay for 100% private health insurance for 5 years and then would be able to enter the CMU. I think I lost the plot for a while the brain being befuddled at the moment with tax forms !

Time for a cuppa and a bit of chocolate I think ![/quote]

Wouldn't you be covered for 1-2 years on the British system on one of the e forms and then have to pay until 5 years residency?

We arrived on a permanent basis beginning of June 07 on an E106 that runs out Jan 09.

We informed the maire, the tax office, got our carte vitales and so hopefully have all the necessary proof that our residency commenced June 07. January 08 we should be accepted into the system. As we will be 53 & 54 this year we will have to pay into the french system until we are 65 plus the top up insurance. However, we still think we are better off in france than in the UK everything taken into consideration and we would both rather be here on a tightish pension than have to continue working in the UK as would be the case as no way could we live on our pension in the UK !