Another spectacles question

mint

Bonjour

Apologies in advance for yet another question relating to spectacles and the obtaining of.

When OH and I were back in the UK grandchildren-sitting earlier this year, we decided we'd get our eyes tested and spectacles made as people on the forum are always moaning about how long this process takes in France (particularly the bit about the eye-testing).

Anyway, mine were fine as they are only for reading and I got a couple of pairs.

Poor OH has glaucoma and needs varifocals, so there was no time to get his prescription made up.

He has now got his glasses done by a local optician.  The optician has given him a fueille de soins and told him to send it off, enclosing his English prescription.

I don't think we'll get any money back from CPAM and I am pretty sure there will be nothing from the top-up as we have deliberately kept the top-up to a fairly basic level.

Clair, if you, or anyone else, can throw some light on this (no pun intended), I'd be very grateful.  If there's a bit of refund, I am certainly not too proud to apply for it.  On the otherhand, if we won't be entitled to anything, then I might as well save the price of the stamp!

Merci.

Coops & Clair, you have come up trumps, as usual.

When the money comes from CPAM, I'll buy you 2 a drink from the proceeds, OK?

Meanwhile, there's only this virtual beer; it's only 2% alcohol but, like the CPAM refund, it's better than nothing, don't you think?

Cheers! [B] And thank you muchly.

I didn't bother sending off an english prescription to our caisse maladie here mainly because it was a private visit and didn't think they would pay out. However I sent the opticien's bills off for the lenses and specs and they paid out for those but have now asked for the original prescription so I may just bother after all,worth a stamp. I have always had my eyes tested here in France for the past 15 years but now the waiting lists in our region for the opthal are just over 8 months currently so more and more folks are going abroad to get it done within 24/48hrs.

Val, the optician did tell the OH to enclose the original English prescription so I am not exactly sure whether that will support the refund.

But, in view of what Coops and Clair have said, I am going to do as I have been told.

Will post the results in case they are of help to others on the forum. 

Thinking back now to when I paid the opticien his bill he did mention that he didn't think the caisse would pay anything because I did not use my french Carte Vitale or securité sociale number in the UK. My visit did cost £40for me and £20 for my daughter but then it was our decision to get it done over there rather than wait for 8 months with the woman all of us have seen regularly for the last 15 years. Be interesting to see what you end up with.

I had an eye test yesterday, in England, cost was £18.50 (private). The new specs were £49.50 all inclusive; I could have got them a fair bit cheaper if I was after saving money - these frames were from the second most expensive range. A one-day waiting list for the test, pick up the glasses tomorrow. If I was a real cheapskate I could have walked off with the prescription and got glasses from the internet.

Last time (4 years ago) when I had it done in France there was a three month waiting list for the eye test (I think it is longer now). The cost of the test was about the same - but the very similar specs, to almost the same prescription, were over 200€. I have had same-day service from another English high street chain - go in first thing in the morning to book a test, and get the specs in the afternoon. Judie (OH) has had eye tests in England and they have posted the specs - complicated lenses that take a few days to get - to France, which is a possibility for other forum users, or of course there is the internet option. Even without any refund from the French system we are still in pocket.

This is definitely one area of healthcare in which France can learn from Britain. My experiences with dentistry are rather similar; though I understand there is a lack of NHS service in some places, but despite all these horror stories there is no problem where our English house is situated.

I do note that most of the optometrists in our bit of England are of Chinese or East European origin. Perhaps that's something France should look at?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Val, the optician did tell the OH to enclose the original English prescription so I am not exactly sure whether that will support the refund.

[/quote]

Our Caisse paid out with an English prescription last year for my new specs. Of course that doesn't mean yours will.  [Www]

My optomotrist back in the UK (whom I've used for years and thus still go back to) is French, Will.  I agree with you, if you make regular trips to the UK this is far less hassle than the French "system."  Even given that you get some sort of (derisory) refund here, it can be cheaper as well as easier in Britain.

We would have been happy to have gone totally "British", just that we didn't have enough time for the OH's specs to be made up.

He does have glaucoma and is "elderly" (I put that in quotes because he would be mad as hell if he thought I was referring to him in this way to total strangers!)

I've been interested reading the messages on this topic as we have talked for ages about eye testing in the UK. 

The waiting time in our area to see an ordinary optician is not very long, but for a proper check at an ophthamologist, the wait is about 3 months.  As I only need reading glasses, the optician is fine but OH needs a more thorough examination and new contact lenses.  We rarely go to the UK but it sounds as if it would be worth the trip.

Thanks to all for the info !

Me and other half went over to Jersey last week to specsavers. 152 euro for ferry with car, so i could go shopping, 175 pound for 3 pairs glasses, 2 for me and one for o h and tests, and ready in one hour 10 mins. and a day out as well. long day yes, 2 and a half hours on ferry, return, and 6 hours driving. fantastic service. could have had varie focal but would have had to wait 10 days and return. after being told here appointment would be a 6 month wait i was considering england but looked at ferry prices! good option if you are  not too far from st malo.

Ah shame. but any one else not too far away, its worth thinking about. i had such a great day i am going back end of august just for the shopping!!!!!!!! jersey cream, milk, sausages, for them not me, english sliced bread, all sorts. we gonna go and stock up for an english  weekend just for our son, who dosent remember any of this, except for marmite!!!!!!!!!!!