Nurse needed to administer flu vaccine

Nell

I now have my flu vaccine from the chemist and need a nurse to administer the injection. I know that I can ask the nurse to come to the house for this, but to be honest I find this a waste of nursing time. Does anyone know of a nurses office I can go to to get my jab? I am around the Brantome / Nontron / Perigueux area. Thanks...
Nell

Thanks for the replies...

B - looked at yellow pages, I know where the nurses office is - I can just never find it open, and I am not confident enough with the language to talk on the phone (Yes - I know how very sad - but there we are!!)

P - Yes I could go to the doctor, but I feel it it a bit of a waste of his time, just like I think it is awaste of time to book a nurse to come to the house when I can go there.... But I will take you advice and ask at the chemist (I can make myself understood talking face to face, but the phone is like the monster from hell [:'(] )

Tony - As the famous tennis player said "You cannot be serious" [+o(]

Yes it's actually very easy to do.. One group I belong to (botanists & mycologists) has a number of members who have been vaguely related to medical or pharmaceutical professions (most of them are retired now). One chap, ex CNRS biologist (so, not necessarily trained to give injections!), gives the shots to everyone else, all pretty casually, during the midday picnic. Funny, a kind of group thing.

I was a little surprised the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just had my flu vaccine administered by a nurse. This year, for the first time, it has to be given intra-muscularly either behind the shoulder or behind the hip.

When I used to have it in England, you had to wait in the surgery for 10 minutes afterwards because it was raised in eggs, so a tiny risk of anaphalactic shock in sensative individuals.

Be careful advising people to do it themselves!

[quote user="maconnaise"]I have just had my flu vaccine administered by a nurse. This year, for the first time, it has to be given intra-muscularly either behind the shoulder or behind the hip. When I used to have it in England, you had to wait in the surgery for 10 minutes afterwards because it was raised in eggs, so a tiny risk of anaphalactic shock in sensative individuals. Be careful advising people to do it themselves![/quote]

I agree, I had mine yesterday by my doctor  - ok it cost 22 euros of which 20 euros is reimbursed . Can't see what the fuss is about  - just make a RDV at the docs!

My wife got her vaccination from the pharmacist, who gave her the number of a local nurse. We phoned the nurse, and she said that the nurses wouldn't give the vaccination, and that CPAM had made a mistake in telling everyone that it could be done this way.

I don't know whether this was a question of not thinking things through e.g. did the nurses not have the time, were they not insured, or were they just not consulted, I don't know. But this one certainly refused.

So, my wife made a RDV at the doctor's and it was done there, just like the old days.

Sounds a bit like the right hand's not knowing what the left hand is doing - just like politics!  [8-)]

[quote user="Mutiara"]

I agree, I had mine yesterday by my doctor  - ok it cost 22 euros of which 20 euros is reimbursed . Can't see what the fuss is about  - just make a RDV at the docs!

[/quote]

I went to the Doctor to get the jab eventually. From my original post you will see it was not a matter of money - it was what I considered a waste of a doctors valuable time.....

Well it seems that as usual where you are makes a difference. We (Normandy) had our flu jabs done by the local nurse at her surgery yesterday - and my parents did last week.  Just in the upper arm as usual.  The nurse did them last year too, our GP said go to her rather than him.

Mrs H