Carbon monoxide test strips for the home

JohnRoss

Does anyone know where one can order carbon monoxide test strips or stick on wall badges for the home. Both of us have suffered from breathing problems during the winter months and now suspect that maybe our wood burning stove, new, could possibly be responsible though inspection shows no obvious evidence of a leak into the room. Have only found these on one or two American web sites with no facility to deliver abroad. Details of a French or UK website would be welcome..........JR

I would suggest somthing like this - http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284425&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=carbon+detector&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1239133252327&isSearch=true

We use an alarm like this in the house and also in our camper van.

One of these saved the OH some years ago..... He was working away and was asleep in the camper we had at the time. The gas heater took a hissy fit in the middle of the night and the carbon monoxide alarm woke him.......

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the more recent replies. We have not had the heating on now for at least couple of months and our medical problems persist so not to do with the wood burner. The strip we put up at the time showed no change in colour so together with what I said earlier I think we can assume that the wood burner is ok. I in fact had a diagnosis of possible asthma/bronchitis so that would explain the breathing problems. An electronic alarm is however a good idea and I will pursue that later on before the next heating season starts..............................................................JR

We have a combined smoke/CO alarm, which works very well detecting smoke (when OH is cooking), I hope it works as well with CO.

A thought occurs to me about the respiratory proplems, perhaps it's because the air becoes too dry with the wood-burning stove. I always find that a very dry atmosphere affects my "tubes" and I sneeze and cough much more, without having an infection.

FairyNuff

Thanks for the suggestion and indeed a very dry condition could cause breathing problems however we have a humidity indicator on our weather station in that room and if it gets too low we put a container of water on top of the stove which evaporates and restores the level to near the optimum level of 50%...................................JR