Conditions 100% covered by CPAM?

BobDee

I thought I had read somewhere that heart and cancer conditions allowed a 100% reimbursement of hospital and treatment costs. Did I dream this or is it so? My wife has a mutuelle but I have always assumed that the 1000€ I save every year by not having one, would go a fair way to meeting the 30% shortfall in CPAM payments. We are both over 65 and have been living in France for 2.5 years now.

Like NormanH says some kind poster performed a labour of love and translated the 30 or so conditions which constitute an ALD. I always imagined it to be a sticky at the beging of this section or the Disability section but it's not there. Cat? Clair? pretty please.  [:D]

Your starting point is your French doctor. Without his support you'll have an uphill struggle. If they are in agreement that you have a qualifying condition, they will complete a protocole de soins which is submitted to a special department within CPAM. You may be asked to attend a medical/physical examination or you may not. The decision will be made fairly rapidly in either case.

As far as not having a mutuelle for conditions not covered by the ALD then that is your personal choice.

Best of luck.

Thank you all for your responses. Touch wood, I think I am OK at present, but who really knows? An apparently healthy friend was recently admitted to the local hospital with severe chest pains and is now in intensive care awaiting a double bypass operation. It just makes one think about things that are normally pushed into a quite corner of one's brain, best left undisturbed. Mortality is a fleeting thing and steps need to be taken from time to time to at least avoid the disturbance to those left behind, by an untimely departure. On a happier note, its gonna be really warm tomorrow!

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Benjamin"]some kind poster performed a labour of love and translated the 30 or so conditions which constitute an ALD. [/quote]

Here: http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/reference/list_of_alds.htm

[/quote]

Beatification and eventual Sainthood will follow but until then ask Mr Clair if he'll buy you a double 99 with caramel sauce next time you're out.  [:D]

• 4 weeks later...
What does it mean by Severe epilepsy? I have mild epilepsy and have the occasional nocturnal seizure and am on new and expensive drugs to keep my seizures under control. Does this mean I am not covered under the 100% covered by CPAM unlike the UK where all my medications are 100% free?

Before I left the UK I asked my consultant if I could try being off medication and he implied this is not a good move as my epilepsy would be more severe and that I would possibly be on medication for life as my epilepsy is not easily treatable by current drugs.

As far as I am aware the ALD will only cover you for the specific problem for which it was issued. i.e if the ALD is for  diabetes, and you break a leg it  may not be covered  100%  for the fracture, because they may not be directly linked. You may need a top-up  insurance to cover this.

I hope that some-one will correct me on this.

Clair where are you??

Who ever said that life was simple

Edit: Sincere apologies to Nickel who did a fantastic job

You are only covered at 100% if your French GP has written to the CPAM to request this, and they have replied with an 'attestation ' which covers that specific illness.

This is easily done, but it isn't automatic; you have to go through the procedure.