Insomnia

Gemonimo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemonimo - you have my sympathy as I have the same problem. Tried all the things suggested above. The worst part of it is that if I have a bad night I feel terrible the next day, up to midday anyway. Quite a danger on the roads if I have to drive.

I have to admit to trying melatonin, though I know you said no chemicals. I took it for a few months last year and was much better for a while but the problem is creeping back again, so I've ordered some more.

Another idea - put off going to bed until after midnight;

Prefer PG, one sugar as your asking [:D]

You should try reading, I found that studying the financial planning guides from the institute of financial planning would generally work within 15 minutes or so. The books come in three volumes and if by some miracle they didn't work you could sit the exam and build a worthwhile career. 

I find Lipton Nuit Tranquille infusion good last thing at night and it does have chamomile amongst other things like lime and possibly orange in it. A few drops of Rivotril (Clonazépam) in water helps but only for the short term and on prescription only. Can be addictive. Thinking about what Clair said, and nothing to do with not sleeping, it just struck me that when you drink something have you ever thought where those water molecules might have been before? Better not to think about that too much I guess!.................................................JR 

My own remedy is to imagine going on a favorite walk, step by step........My point exactly. Something with which you are familiar and gives pleasant feelings, the brain having something comforting to think about thus blocking other thoughts and so you relax. Sleep then follows. It is a form of self hypnotism and it works, just needs a bit of practice..................JR

Well, it didn't work - the four hour grass cutting exercise - so it's back to the drawing board.  Patf I have heard of the benefits of melatonin but was given to believe that it comes from unknown animal sources and could be contaminated with godknowswhatall.  Reading is good to get one to sleep but doesn't solve the 3.00am wake up.  The biggest problem with crazy sleep patterns is that one can become totally de-regulated in the sleep department which is hopeless.  Tonight I'm going to try counting something or even doing my times tables in french[blink].  I hope you all had a good night. 

Middle insomnia - waking during the middle of the night, difficulty maintaining sleep. Often associated with pain disorders or medical illness. The Wikipedia link I gave is worth looking at to make sure that there is no medical reason for your insomnia.

I forgot to mention that many think that an ioniser running in the bedroom helps folk to sleep. I have used one bought from Marks and Spencer for years with good effect, I am sure Boots also have them, also good for allergies to dust, pollen and housemites etc which could also inhibit sleep. Lots of info on the net like http://www.ehealthsupplies.com/negative-ionizers-negative-ions-and-their-health-benefits.aspx  ......JR

[quote user="Théière"]

Prefer PG, one sugar as your asking [:D]

You should try reading, I found that studying the financial planning guides from the institute of financial planning would generally work within 15 minutes or so. The books come in three volumes and if by some miracle they didn't work you could sit the exam and build a worthwhile career. 

[/quote]

Following on from this when I was reading my first French book (in bed) it was incredibly tiring mentally and I slept deeply afterwards, for those of you that dont get exhausted phsically (and why should any of us want to?) being mentally tired is the next best thing.

Another sure fire way to sleep deeply up to 18 hours a day is to take an intensive language course and live in that environment away from your mother tongue, you cannot believe how stressfull and tiring it is and most students, young or mature usually fall ill with whatever virus is around after two or 3 days, the recovery is rapid and I think that it is just the body or brain calling a halt to proceedings.

The best way of course is to (re)become a teenager [;-)]

Ma pauvre Jen; I was going to ask you whether you slept better last night but I see that you didn't.

It's indeed a horrible problem and I have no suggestion but I just wanted to say that I sympathise.

Still, it's now less than a year to the Compostelle and I bet you won't have a problem with sleeping whilst we are en route.  Getting up in the mornings to resume walking might be though........![:P]

[quote user="JohnRoss"]
Middle insomnia - waking during the middle of the night, difficulty maintaining sleep. Often associated with pain disorders or medical illness. The Wikipedia link I gave is worth looking at to make sure that there is no medical reason for your insomnia.

[/quote]

If there is (often chronic pain related) it is worth asking if you can try a prescription of low dose amitriptyline.

[quote user="ScoobyInFrance"][quote user="JohnRoss"]

[/quote]

If there is (often chronic pain related) it is worth asking if you can try a prescription of low dose amitriptyline.
[/quote]

I had a 25mg dose of that for a migraine and it turned me into a complete zombie for more than 24 hours, (one flew over the cuckoos nest zombie) I will never take it again.

Possible side effect of that drug is suicide!

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="ScoobyInFrance"][quote user="JohnRoss"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Possible side effect of that drug is suicide!

[/quote]

Ah but its une contra-indication temporaire! [6]