Is there a grace period/probation period on the top up insurance?

sofia

Hello!

is there a grace period or probation period on the top up health insurance (complementare or mutuelles I think they are called) or can I claim from day 1?

And how does one make sure they cover a specific procedure without asking?

[quote user="sofia"]Hello!

is there a grace period or probation period on the top up health insurance (complementare or mutuelles I think they are called) or can I claim from day 1?

And how does one make sure they cover a specific procedure without asking?[/quote]

You should have a detailed statement of what is covered  as part of the contract.

If you don't understand the French insist on an explanation before you sign.

A simplified example of mine is here

http://www.mutuelle-force-sud.fr/index.asp?rub_id=40

version 600

but the fuller detail is on the contract that I signed

Could it be that Sofia or somebody in her family needs medical treatment, hasn't yet got additional cover and now needs it urgently?  If so, she may have a problem!

Sofia, you also need to ask whether the levels of cover in the insurance cover the full costs of the medical treatment.  I'd speak to the insurance company - several in fact - and ask them what their policies are on immediate use but for us, there was a 3 month wait, apart from visits to the GP and medication.

Actually, Chancer, I thought they weren't supposed to ask about pre-existing conditions?  The scale fees go up with age but not with pre-existing conditions.

Certainly, when we took out our first mutuelle, the premiums were based on age and we have changed companies since and the second company also did not ask about pre-existing conditions.

We knew someone who took out a mutuelle when they knew they needed a hip replacement.  After paying the first month's premium, he promptly booked himself into a clinic for the op.  Then he tried to cancel his policy, after having had the op with no waiting and no hassle but, of course, he was contracted for the whole year.

For months on end, I had my ears bent on how grasping these French mutuelles were and how it was so unfair that they had to keep paying the premiums when they wanted to move back to the UK and would have no further use of the mutuelle.

Needless to say, they were the same people who came back to France for her to have bilateral cateract extractions after they went back to live in the UK but they somehow managed to retain their Cartes Vitales.

So, if you are brass-necked enough, I guess anything is possible.

[quote user="sweet 17"]We knew someone who took out a mutuelle when they knew they needed a hip replacement.  After paying the first month's premium, he promptly booked himself into a clinic for the op.  Then he tried to cancel his policy, after having had the op with no waiting and no hassle but, of course, he was contracted for the whole year.

For months on end, I had my ears bent on how grasping these French mutuelles were and how it was so unfair that they had to keep paying the premiums when they wanted to move back to the UK and would have no further use of the mutuelle.

Needless to say, they were the same people who came back to France for her to have bilateral cateract extractions after they went back to live in the UK but they somehow managed to retain their Cartes Vitales.[/quote]

SW17 ..........

This ranks '10' (on a scale of 1-10) on the WindupNormanHMeter. Have you no consideration for his blood pressure?[blink]