simvustatin

seb47

Is anyone taking this statin?

Google searches lead me to believe that doctors shouldn't prescribe it so readily - in particular if you have a thyroid condition (I have) or like the odd glass of wine (don't we all?)

I'm generally careful with my diet and have read that people with underactive thyroid can tend toward a high cholesterol level. I'm just a bit nervous about the whole statins scenario.

If your underactive thyroid is being treated with thyroxin supplements you won't normally have a problem with high chloresterol due to low thyroid activity, because the low natural level is being corrected. That's not to say you won't have high chloresterol, you might have that due to other factors.

[quote user="seb47"]- in particular if you have a thyroid condition (I have) or like the odd glass of wine (don't we all?) [/quote]

Don't have the former (to the best of my knowledge), but do have the latter problem.

Been taking it for years (7-ish) & no problems, except ..............  you may find that you dream a lot!

No sleep interruption, nothing particularly dodgy (sadly), but quite vivid replays of pre-retirement life, but usually quite mixed up. It's a known situation (for some. not all) - Google it. 

I've been known to email friends the following day asking "What was the name of that bloke with the specs who worked at such-and-such a place?"   

I was reading an article today about statins - they reported a study by british scientists, the results suggesting that fast food  establishments could present a statin tablet with eg a large burger, to counteract the cholesterol. [I]

Evidently you can now buy some low-dose statins over the counter in the UK without a prescription.

seb47, it is important to know that the most careful diet and vigorous exercise regime whilst helping, will only improve your cholesterol reading to a limited extent. The reason being is that bad cholesterol levels increase with age and there is a strong genetic factor.

Therefore, the first thing to do is to ask your doctor if a careful diet in itself would be sufficient in your situation to reduce your cholesterol to acceptable levels and if so to monitor it carefully afterwards.

A sobering thought are that statins reduce the risk of vascular events such as stroke or heart attacks by about 40%, so you need to balance the benefits against the risk of any side effects carefully.

I echo Sprogsters thoughts on this absolutely. I have just lost a patient of mine suddenly with a heart attack just past age 60 when outwardly he was as fit as a butcher's dog, very active, slim, non-smoker and little alcohol intake. Fact was I'd been trying to persuade him to have a statin on and off for the last 5 years, but he was keen to simply try diet alone. A statin wasn't guaranteed to have saved him, but there is a good chance his life would have been prolonged significantly if he had taken it (the evidence for the benefits of statins is incontravertable).

True side effects rates are very low indeed, and whilst it is certain that a healthy diet and lifestyle is good for everyone, statins take diet modification to the cleaners when it comes to reducing unhealthy types of cholesterol.

Talk to your GP about it if you are concerned. All cases must of course be judged individually, and all of us have different views on taking long term preventive medication, but the very distressed family of the patient I lost certainly wished he had taken my suggestions more seriously!

Thank you DD and Sprogster - very much food for thought for me too, as I would be in the same category as your late patient DD.

It is just so maddening that genetic predisposition seems to weigh more heavily than the healthiest lifestyle. I have managed to avoid statins for the past few years, with my GP's agreement as I am borderline. Also, there are complicated calculations: not just the overall cholesterol figure, the LDL and HDL differential, but also the ratio of Triglycerides/HDL I believe. And the American recommended figures are different from the European ones, and and and.....it is such a maze, and such a gamble!!!!.

I guess it's an individual choice.  My mother has been on statins for a while and hates them.  They gave her sickness, diarrhea, muscle pain and neuropathy. Admittedly, they have brought her cholesterol levels down (she's a non smoker, healthy eater, btw, who just happens to have high cholesterol - apparently genetic).  Having watched her go through a triple bypass, side effects from the tablets etc - and then develop breast cancer and lymphoedema, I decided I would prefer just to have a quick exit :o)  If one thing doesn't get you then another will.  Having seen various family members die (some more slowly and painfully than others) I concluded that a quick death from a heart attack is much better than a lingering death from cancer.

Mrs R51

Richard51, it is unfortunate your mother had serious side effects but the vast majority of people don't. If there are side effects they can be reversed by switching to a different more recent statin like Crestor, or discontinuing treatment, so there is no risk in giving them a try.

You would be surprised how many Doctors take them and that in itself should reassure you!

Simvastatin 40mg is the standard treatment because it is very very cheap and to be honest will do fine for the vast majority of people.  If side effects are an issue however, there are other statins which because they are more potent can be taken at a lower dose and are therefore better tolerated.  At present they are vastly more expensive than Simvastatin because they still have their patents (so only the original company can produce them) so are 'reserved' for those patients either having problems with side effects or where the increased potency is needed to bring the cholesterol levels down.  These drug patents will expire eventually, then as the price comes tumbling down as more manufacturers can compete, they will be offered more as first choice treatments.

Many doctors do indeed take them, myself included as it happens, and I have done so as a preventive measure since I was 41 (my family history isn't so good!).  

My OH is another person on Simvastatin without side effects, and was also in that same category as DD's patient. He was started on it at the hospital after having a heart attack nearly 3 years ago, which was followed by a mild stroke. It was put down to genetic predisposition, after they looked at diet etc - both his parents had heart attacks. He was also fit and healthy, had a very healthy diet, did moderate exercise, lots of walking etc. His cholesterol wasn't at all high, but they said in the coronary care department that it was a precaution.

There weren't many changes we could make to improve his diet (our diet!), unless we cut out wine and cheese, and that's a small part of what we eat. But after doing the 3-week exercise course at the hospital, he bought a set of weights for each house, and an exercise bike for the UK house and uses them several times each week.

This thread is making me wonder if I should be on a statin; I've got raised 'bad' cholesterol, very good 'good' cholesterol. I feel a chat to my GP about it coming on, when I next see him!  [:)]

Hi

I have been taking simvastatin for about 3 years with no side effects. The effect on my cholesterol has been excellent. I am diabetic so there was really no hesitation on my part when it was suggested I use it. The on e thing that is absolutely critical, is that you have a liver function test soon after starting to take the drug, and again after 6 or 9 months. In very rare situations, it causes complications for the liver, so early liver function test is v importaant.

Giles

I have been on two statins the last one Simvustatin...I developed pains in my legs to such an extent walking any distance was a big problem .. Stopping taking the statin soon reversed the problem .. The replies here are interesting as I shall now speak to my doctor about  trying another tablet... His comment was " Some people cant take  statins  " and I thought that was going to me and end of medicataion .  

Hi, I took this statin and ended up walking with a stick and shuffling. After 10 months of stopping I feel I have my legs back! Never again. Please google The Peoples Pharmacy.com and under report put in statins. ALS like syndrome has been reported, this is a drug, along with other statins which I feel will be found to be responsible for other illnesses and the s--- will hit the fan, plus of course thousands of lawsuits, starting in the US. The side effects can ruin peoples lives permanently. Sue