How much deposit is normal

Annabell

I'm about to rent out my apartment as a long term let through an agency.

I was expecting a months rent up front but the agency is saying that i get the money a month after they move in.  This doesn't sound right to me, should I be seeking expert advice here?  Also I was understanding that the agency would also receive a months deposit to be paid back when the tennants leave.  Is this correct.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Annabell

From the tenant the agency gets one months deposit plus one months rent in advance. This sum is paid over to the owner upon the signing of the lease. The above is correct if you have requested the agency to locate, verify the financial information, etat des lieux etc. naturally you are expected to pay them their fee at the same time, this sum is a variable amount depending upon the number of units you have with them etc.

It would appear from what you have said that you have entered into a gestion contract which is different. Normally the agency retains the deposit, however you can expect to get the months rent in advance. This may not be the case if you have not paid them their fee.

ams