Private Health Care after 2007

Keni

So, now we are a few years away from 2007/8 when the French Government declared that any etrangers would have to provide their own health care for the first five years of their move to France. In the case of the UK, that is normally after your S1 (old E106) runs out.

So the question is, if the French Government had been working on the principal of total Private Health Care being illegal(?) here, have those who have had to get total health after 2007/8 managed to do so without having to get a mortgage? Also does anyone know of any companies offering this service - when your S1 runs out, will your Mutual automatically offer you the full health care for more money or do you have to start again?

As I won't be getting my pension until 2017, that will leave me with four years to pay for once my mutual runs out at the end of 2011, until the five year rule thingy that allows me to pay and join to the French system.

A mutuelle probably won't do full cover but there are some other insurers who aren't mutuelles but who do top-up (Exclusive, April etc - there's a list on our website) do do full cover, but it's pretty rare amongst French companies as it's not much sold to native born French.  In other words, whether or not you'll have to start with a new insurer depends entirely on the company with which you have your top-up.

I know there are some people who are paying for full cover already, probably some on this forum.  What hasn't happened yet is their trying to get into the French system after the 5 years - that we still await!

[quote user="Keni"]So, now we are a few years away from 2007/8 when the French Government declared that any etrangers would have to provide their own health care for the first five years of their move to France. In the case of the UK, that is normally after your S1 (old E106) runs out. So the question is, if the French Government had been working on the principal of total Private Health Care being illegal(?) here, have those who have had to get total health after 2007/8 managed to do so without having to get a mortgage? Also does anyone know of any companies offering this service - when your S1 runs out, will your Mutual automatically offer you the full health care for more money or do you have to start again? As I won't be getting my pension until 2017, that will leave me with four years to pay for once my mutual runs out at the end of 2011, until the five year rule thingy that allows me to pay and join to the French system.[/quote]

You could be retired
Working
Running a business...

Post edited - please post within the Code of Conduct

Thanks Coops, yes, I too will be interested to see if anyone can get back into the system and NormanH, I am early retired, and the OH and I live on his early retired pension.

We want to live the 'right way', but if the French system doesn;t allow for it - eg get health cover or even offer an alternative - and the bombardment for Sante/Mutual is bewildering! God help us when we have to go 'full time' at the end of the year!