Landlord's obligations

mr ploppy

We're about to rent a house for a year.  This is a privately agreed rental with friends, no agency involved.  My questions are these:-

Is there a standard DIY lease agreement that we can use?

Does the lease have to be notarised or anything like that in order to make it legal?

What obligations does the landlord have?  Apart from declaring the rental income (presumably) I've read stuff about social charges.  Can anyone explain what these are and whether they'd need to be paid (by the landlord)?

I've seen the abbreviation CAF mentioned in conjunction with long-term rentals.  What is that?

Is there a similar scheme to the UK where rental deposits are held by a third party (I think that's true in the UK).  If so, is that law?  Is a deposit mandatory?

And others, I'm sure ....!

You can purchase a standard 3 year lease for unfurnished units, or a one year furnished lease at any stationery shop, cost about €5. You can have the document drawn up by a notaire.

You state that the lease will be between friends, however the balance of your questions would appear to indicate a complete lack of trust of these same friends.

I would humbly suggest that you have the said documents drawn up by a notaire including all associated documents, or look for alternative accomodation. Generally entering into a lease with friends will lead to a loss of friendship and many other problems.

jmo

ams

Thanks for your concern.

On the contrary though, it's not a question of mistrust, it's because they're elderly (British) and it's the first time they've let their property.  I'm trying to find out the ins and outs on their behalf.  I appreciate that any business between friends is fraught with danger, but I'm very confident that this will be OK.

The leases you mention that can be bought at a stationer's, do they have to be notarised in order to make them "legal", or is that optional?

[quote user="mr ploppy"]
The leases you mention that can be bought at a stationers, do they have to be notarised in order to make them "legal", or is that optional?  [/quote]

Not at all necessary, but it this would make your elderly British landlords happier then it might be a small price to pay - cost usually shared 50% between the two parties.

Example of typical contrat de bail*:                               * there are other formules available

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-3863218-telechargement-gratuit-de-bail-de-location?page=2

This might be helpful:

http://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Tools/France-Guide/Housing-Rentals/Rental-contract

Sue

Quite agree with one of the above postings - the only times I have helped out friends with letting part of my home has almost meant the end of a good friendship.

Somehow it is easier to deal with strangers no matter how friendly you are there are always problems which can cause grief.

Good luck anyway.

WendyG