High Blood Pressure no longer covered as an ALD

NormanH

I never knew that it was, as my OH has hypertension, it was never suggested that he did the ALD thing, although our mutualist was OK and everything to do with it was covered.

. Me I just eat loads of cream and butter, (see recipes) low blood pressure and normal cholesterol, well to date that is, probably come and bite me on the bum one day, but for the moment, I live life and enjoy my vices.

Like you, Idun, I eat all the things I'm not supposed to and the medics are always amazed at how low my blood pressure is.  Sadly, since I get little to no exercise any more, my waistline's suffered since the accident though.

Norman, I doubt if it's slipped under the insurers' radar though.  The more that is lumped on to their plates, the higher everybody's premiums will be.   I have a couple of friends who can't afford top-up (no, not expats) and who pay the balance of their meds' etc.  It's those people who'll really get hit by these things.

I brought this up because I was at a meeting yesterday (in my nursing home) with a cardiologist from Montpellier who treats people brought in to Hospital with a a heart attack.

He showed a video of unblocking a coronary artery (and saving the patient) but the main thrust of the meeting was the damage done by uncontrolled Hypertension , particularly to arteries, but also to other organs such as the Kidneys.

He was particularly angered by this decision, as he pointed out that treating high blood pressure is one of the most effective preventative health measures. 50% of people with it are unaware that they have it (until a check shows it up)

I am a bit surprised by the figures in the article, since my Doctor automatically asked the CRAM for 100% for me, but then I have other circulatory problems as well.

In any case it shows that there is a real drive towards cutting back on what is covered under the ALD system

On the other hand, Norman, perhaps they have taken the view that the drugs needed to treat hypertension are all generics, dirt cheap and can be afforded by pretty well anyone. And that it is time for the public to take some responsibility for their own health by eating better and by having checkups which would include BP testing.

Presumably cholesterol scouring drugs are still to be covered, and taking one can seldom be separated from the other, can it?

Though I do agree with you that the decision is bizarre to say the least.

Well, if the drugs are cheap then what's the problem?  Surely far more expensive to treat the possible negative effects of untreated hypertension than controlling it in the first place?  I doubt whether lumping these costs onto top-up rather than the state will really help people to live healthier lives, Woolyb!  Nice idea, but not my experience.   I believe the US has one of the worst obesity problems and yet healthcare is mostly via private insurance so many people must have increased premiums as a result but does that help them to change their lifestyles?  All evidence to the contrary.

From personal experience I can categorically say that classification of hypertension as an ALD has only been applied in a very limited number of severe or extreme cases since 2004 (probably earlier).

Perhaps mine was included (in 2001) because I also had had a stroke, and since have had a pulmonary embolism.

In any case I have 100% cover for cardiovascular problems (including BP checks) until 2014

ALD status lasts 5 years then has to be re-applied for.

As Cooperlola says it is people who can't afford a Mutuelle who are most affected, since each check is a visit to the GP, which costs 23 euros.

Many people  don't want to pay out that just for what seems a simple thing,, yet it really is an important thing to do.

The other option is to buy a simple monitor (prices start about 30 euroes for a wrist model) and check your self and your family each week.

Hypertension is known as 'the silent killer'

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/hypertension.htm

We have one of these at home, so occassionally I use it as well as O/H.

I use it as my MIL always used to say that she had low blood pressure and then she was rushed into hospital and they couldn't operate as her blood pressure was through the roof. They asked if she had been having headaches to which she said no. I could not get her to understand that those endless bottles of aspirin she used to get through as she would pop one everytime there was the slightest sign of a headache had actually masked her blood pressure problem.

What sort of headache she thought would be different with blood pressure I have no idea, but that is what she did. I don't take anything and don't suffer from headaches usually, but do have a quick check on the machine from time to time, and believe them to be a good little investment.