New Circular on Early Retirees Health Cover

Bidaou

[quote user="Bidaou"]Well the new circular has been published, but it still looks as though those with private cover may have a problem in getting into the health system: http://www.french-property.com/news/french_health/early_retireees_cmu_circular/[/quote] [/quote]

Not quite with you on the circulaire being just published, it would have appeared to have been just published on the 9th of june.[:)]

Or do you mean someone has done a mini translation?

The link accesses the PDF containing the complete circulaire.

http://www.circulaires.gouv.fr/pdf/2011/07/cir_33406.pdf

Yes, I agree, date of circular is odd, although noteworthy is it not that the circular has within it 2011/07, which does suggest publication this month.

Perhaps the more interesting issue is where this leaves existing expats who hold private health insurance?

Surely arguable that if the French government have now admitted they acted illegally in forcing expats to take out private insurance they are still acting improperly by not allowing them back into the system without a change in circumstances?

[quote user="Bidaou"]Yes, I agree, date of circular is odd, although

noteworthy is it not that the circular has within it 2011/07, which does

suggest publication this month.

Perhaps the more interesting issue is where this leaves existing expats

who hold private health insurance?

Surely arguable that if the French government have now admitted they acted illegally in

forcing expats to take out private insurance they are still acting

improperly by not allowing them back into the system without a change in

circumstances?[/quote]

I amm not sure that the French government would think that they have

acted illegally.  Surely it is for the government of a country to decide

what is or is not illegal in its own country as regards the rights  of

immigrants, whether that covers health or other issues.  The FG  may not

have respected EU rules, but I am always amused at the whining of

Brits, who coming from a country only half-heartedly in Europe (The UK

did not sign the Schengen agreement, and has not adopted the Euro, both

of which help the 'free movement' of EU citizens) do not hesitate to use

EU directives if there is something material to be gained.

Read the French circular to understand the French position, not the

French Property article, mediated by journalists with an interest for

those who are unable to read French while expecting French people to

provide their Heath care

Norman H it doesn't quite seem to work like that. It appears that EU directives are brought in in the UK immediately and enforced well before the french have had time to even look at them. So from my perspective, they are too EU in the UK and France is way behind on some things.

Incidentally the noticable things for me have been the truly stupid rules, where someone being paid too much, probably highly qualified but without an ounce or is it gram of sense in their tete has pushed it through and we have 'new rules' to erode our freedoms.  

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/free_movement_of_persons_asylum_immigration/l33152_en.htm

This makes it very clear that the right to stay in a EU country longer than 3 months is subject to conditions. The two which affects most Brits in France being

Applicants must:

either be engaged in economic activity (on an employed or self-employed basis);

or have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that they do not become a burden on the social services of the host Member State during their stay. The Member States may not specify a minimum amount which they deem sufficient, but they must take account of personal circumstances;

Sickness insurance, but it doesn't say that the host country has to provide it. The UK is I think unique in Europe in that eligibility to the NHS is based on residency. But what of expats in Italy or Spain for example, do they take out private insurance ?

[quote user="Gardener"]The UK is I think unique in Europe in that eligibility to the NHS is based on residency. But what of expats in Italy or Spain for example, do they take out private insurance ?[/quote]

And as I keep saying, not for us, we have to have a french furnished S1 in the UK. Les uns et les autres!

I never quite grasp your situation.

I expect that I , as  resident in France would have to produce my CEAM card in the UK, as I am 'à la charge' of the French system.

But surely you are now regular UK residents?  Or is it a question of where you earn your money?

Whatever we may think about 'whining Brits' the fact remains that the EU decided France was in breach of EC regulations, and that is why they have been obliged to issue this new circular easing up access into the system (to which of course there is an 8% insurance levy).

My own sister was caught up in the change of rules in 2007. Although she had an E106 entitlement, she has an illness that made private insurance impossible. But the local CPAM were unwilling to say that they would give her cover at the expiry of the 106, so she has been forced to remain in the UK, with a house standing empty for three years.

[quote user="NormanH"]I never quite grasp your situation.
I expect that I , as  resident in France would have to produce my CEAM card in the UK, as I am 'à la charge' of the French system.

But surely you are now regular UK residents?  Or is it a question of where you earn your money?
[/quote]

Yes, money from France, have to pay cotisations in France and give an S1 in in UK.

I really had thought this would stop when pension started, but it didn't and we still pay cotisations on french pensions and still have to hand in an S1 to Newcastle. Still need french CEAM too for travelling. So much for british residents being entitled to free health care whatever their circumstances. It will change when the british pension kicks in, or at least that is what we've been told. To be seen.

I have to say, that if anyone has to pay, we always have to, if the rules are to pay nothing or get something for free we have a genius for mis-timing and just hitting things as the rules change and we always miss out. 

Pachapapa,

The Cambridge Dictionary defines a 'levy' as:

'an amount of money, such as a tax, that you have to pay to a government or organization'

As an example of its use they give: 'They imposed a 5% levy on alcohol.'

[quote user="Bidaou"]Pachapapa, The Cambridge Dictionary defines a 'levy' as: 'an amount of money, such as a tax, that you have to pay to a government or organization' As an example of its use they give: 'They imposed a 5% levy on alcohol.'[/quote]

I really am being ineffably stupid today getting it mixed up with..

Au dessus d’un plafond de ressources, une cotisation

Les assurés au titre de la résidence doivent s’acquitter d’une cotisation de 8 % de leurs revenus fiscaux.

La cotisation n’est pas due sur la part des revenus inférieure à un plafond déterminé. Les bénéficiaires de l'ACS ou de la CMU complémentaire sont exonérés de cette cotisation.

Pour en savoir plus, n'hésitez pas à contacter la caisse d'assurance maladie de votre domicile :

I shall try to remember in future that the translation of  "d’une cotisation de 8 % de leurs revenus fiscaux" into english is a levy.[:'(]