Who are Urssaf?

Keni

So, according to Co**nxion newspaper, the French Health Care U-turn is not worth anything to us wanting to sort out our health care here.

Who therefore are Urssaf? What is their relationship to CPAM and the CMU?

We understand it's all in relation to health care but what other lines can we go down - apart from becoming Auto-entrepreneurs?

I know this will have been asked before but am now trying to link the 3 units together to see where we go from here.

What a question. Personally I look upon them as being in charge of the social security system.

I have heard them called names that I could not post on here the comments I have heard are so rude.

One of their functions is that they audit companies to see if everything is being dealt with properly re social security too and are vicious and like rabid animals once they start. If anyone calls them for information then they should never trust it and unless they get written 'proof' from the URSSAF and even if one has written proof, they sometimes deny it.

I have no idea if anyone nice or reasonable works for them, but I have yet to hear of anyone at all in my part of the Rhone Alps. Maybe they are 'better' in other regions.

URSSAF - the biggest collector of money in France and in charge of all social security matters. RSI have taken over their self employed section apart from agricultural and gardening trades and the result is/was horrendous mess for everyone. They are also the body that issue every citizen who works with their own personal ID number like a national insurance UK registration number. They are a law unto themselves and have the right to enter any bank account they wish to and withdraw the funds for payment. They are known as the Gestapo locally and take no prisoners - you pay or else.......

Hi, as to the re-written regs being no help - our S1 runs out Dec 31st, as I have mentioned before. We are happy to pay our way, but need to know how this will be happening. We have a copy and translation of the re-wrtten regs but it appears the CPAM/CMU argument will go on for a long time - and we only have until December to figure something out.

Thanks for that about Urssaf, they are mentioned in another article. Couldn't figure out how they were linked.

I would imagine that it is worth applying for CMU before your current S1 runs out so that you fulfil the requirements for legal residence.

I would hope that as long as your CPAM have implemented the new process they will assess your case. If you apply several weeks before the expiry date, then if CPAM ask you to get a letter from the UK stating you are not eligible for another S1, then you would still have time to have your case assessed.

This article implies that it should be easier for people with an expiring S1 to get CMU than those who already have private healthcare insurance.

http://www.french-property.com/news/french_health/early_retireees_cmu_circular/

Good luck - do let us know how you get on.

In my experience URSSAF have always been extremely pleasant and helpful. I've had to go and see them several times for advice, and once when the prelevement for cotisations was bounced. They've always listened, got the details up on screen, explained things, and I've gone away with the problem solved. Yes their computer churns out all kinds of garbage but if you go and speak to a real person, they do try to help.

Surely you wouldn't go to the URSSAF directly but to the CPAM, if you are not working in France?

Also, if you go, you may see someone, and they may be very nice, but if something crops up later and you have no written proof of what you were told, then you could be snookered. I still say do not trust the URSSAF unless you have a formal letter from them.

I realise that Euro Trash said some nice things, but that is a first for me and sounds like the exception to prove the rule.

For clarity ,and in the particular case of the OP.

URSSAF or Unions de Recouvrement des Cotisations de Sécurité Sociale et d'Allocations Familiales,are the collection agency for CPAM .

If you have French health care via CMU then URSSAF are the people who collect your payments, however appart from paying them there should be no need for any contact with them ,as you will deal with CPAM

I contacted Newcastle who said they would provide a letter, but not before the S1 is due to run out -4 weeks before maximum. So will have a waiting game now. Will also (after their summer holidays) contact CPAM perhaps to see what happens.

Hello Keni

Sorry to hear about your potential healthcare problems, with the advent of your S1 running out in December.

There seems to be a lot of differing opnions on here as regards to the new directive, as to whether early retirees will indeed be granted access to CMU on expiry of their S1. The link to the French-Property website has already been posted in this thread, but today in the French-Property newsletter they are reiterating their stance that early retirees will be allowed into CMU on expiry of S1s, and have updated their guidelines accordingly.

http://www.french-property.com/news/french_health/getting_insurance_cover_france/

I know it still leaves you as to when the directive will be implemented, but we can only hope something positive will happen soon.