Perigueux Hospital

mogs

My OH will be having an op at this hospital in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone had any treatment there and what is it like? He wants me to stay as he doesn't speak any French so I'm wondering if it is possible to book a chambre particulaire with an accompaniment or should I book a nearby B&B, hotel?

I've looked at the website but don't find it very clear so thought it would be better to ask people who might have experience.

Thanks for any help

Most hospitals will let you have a put u up type bed in the room for about 8€ a night, cheaper than a B&B and closer in case of need of translation at awkward moments.

http://www.hopital.fr/Hopitaux/Vos-demarches/L-hospitalisation/Votre-sejour-a-l-hopital/Les-visites-et-l-accompagnement-du-patient

Some Mutuelles cover this cost, although some only in case of a child.

I don't know this particular Hospital, but I do know the system. Take a copy of the list of Hospital vocabulary and please don't hesitate to pm me in case you need any other info.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2605178/ShowPost.aspx

Usually you have a form to fill in before you go with various information, such as your husband's Social security number ( on the Carte Vitale)

Part of that is the request for the Chambre particulière, and another is the 'prise en charge' by your Mutuelle of the room and of  18€ charge per day for things like food and bedlinen that is not met by the Sécu. YOu can ask your Mutuelle to fax through their agreement to the hospital administration. If you don't have that from the Mutuelle you may have to give a deposit cheque (chèque de caution) 

I believe that you can arrange your bed at  reception when you arrive if you have booked a Chambre particulière  , but it might be better to check that as it could vary from Hospital to Hospital.

There may also be charges for TV and Phone in the room

I had my op in Bergerac and the only option was a private en-suite room and the same in Bordeaux.  I dont know if we could have asked for an extra bed, there was certainly enough space for one.

I was also taken to Perigueux one evening and Greyman followed the ambulance in his car... I was admitted to the same kind of room and he was asked if was staying and if he wanted a bed brought in.  He said the armchair was fine and they brought him a blanket and pillow instead.

I would be surprised if there wasn't this option... and I hope the op goes well!

Many thanks for your help. I have today telephoned and asked if it's possible for a chambre particulaire and the secretary has made a note of it. I appreciate it always depends on availability so we'll see what happens next week.

I think the IBIS is quite close so if there is no chance of a single room i'll try there.

Here the room (single if you want) is arranged at the same time as the pre-op meeting with the aneasthetist, which is automatic regardless of op'.  I ask for a single room, sign the bit of paper, then my call my top-up insurer who faxes the hospital so I don't have to pay.  Months later I get a bill from the tax man for 50c a day (it may be a euro) for the private room. The systems do vary.

When I was given a private room without asking for it, I wasn't charged and it didn't come off my 30 days a year of private room which the top-up gives me.

You can't be charged unless you specifically request a single room, that's why you are asked.

I missed  a trick in the Nursing Home, which has very few double rooms. If I hadn't asked for a single I wouldn't have had to pay (my old  mutuelle didn't  count the Nursing home as a Hospital, so didn't pay for the room, one of my reasons for changing) and there were quite a few people who had single rooms they weren't paying for.

The tax bill is a new one on me. What is it for?  I have never had one and I have now been in single rooms on several occasions..

I got one on my last stay, Norman.  I'll see what happens this time.  I assumed that this was just yet one more of these odd-bod government charges like the ones for the meds (I forget what they're called, I'm suffering from severe brain fade at the mo!)  I naively coughed up - maybe I shouldn't have done?  It was only 7 euros or so - more of a bore than anything.

EDIT : When I get home, I'll dig the thing out.