Vaccinations

minnie

When attending our Bilan de Sante we're asked to take with us our carnet de vaccinations. We never had such a thing in UK. I can roughly remember what vaccinations I've had, mostly in childhood. Can anyone tell me what vaccinations I'm expected to have as a French resident please?

Never been asked about what vaccinations we had as kids in past but for your own sake, get a tetanus one if you are doing renovations or gardening work on your property, its easy to contract. You can get it free at the local Socio Médico office in your nearest town or pay for your doctor to do it etc. TB is on the increase but you should have had that as a schoolchild in the UK, mine had theirs here. I think if you just tell them the usual childhood disease jabs like polio, diptheria etc that should suffice.

[quote user="sueyh"]Ask for Polio too.  Apparently it only lasts for about ten years Suey
[/quote]Blimey, that's a bit worrying - I've never heard of that before - I thought it had been pretty much stamped out too.

Otoh, my gp in the UK told me that the thinking now is that 3 tetanus jabs in a lifetime are enough to last you, whereas in France they told me it's every 10 years.

I have fallen foul of this in Germyn with the result that I have to have everything done again.

If I had had any copy or record that would have been added to my immunisation passport - but of course such records are kept confidential by the UK medical authorities unless specifically applied for.

And for the record:

Tetanus, Thyphoid, Diptheria, Polio, Hepatitus A and B, Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Scarlet Fever

and only another 3 rounds to go.

Thanks all. Very off-putting! Does everyone in France keep all these up to date. I know that I had a host of these done in 1999 so must be out of date by now. I think, if possible, I'll take it in stages and have one every couple of months if I can get away with it....

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="sueyh"]Ask for Polio too.  Apparently it only lasts for about ten years Suey

[/quote]Blimey, that's a bit worrying - I've never heard of that before - I thought it had been pretty much stamped out too.

Otoh, my gp in the UK told me that the thinking now is that 3 tetanus jabs in a lifetime are enough to last you, whereas in France they told me it's every 10 years.

[/quote]

Hi Coops, when we told our Dr a few years ago that we were going to the Algarve, he told us to have Polio vaccine.  Hope you are keeping well.  I go for my surgery tomorrow.

Suey

[quote user="sueyh"]Ask for Polio too.  Apparently it only lasts for about ten years and with that I think you get the diptheria one too.

Suey
[/quote]

I think there may be some confusion Suey.  Tetanus lasts for 10 years.  Polio, if the full course has been given, lasts a lifetime.  However (and it is a big however), if you had the full course a long time ago (late 50's early 60's) you may not have received as good a protection as today's vaccinations give.  So if you were visiting somewhere where there had been a recent outbreak, then extra protection would have been recommended.

The following is from Wiki:

"The first dose of polio vaccine is given shortly after birth, usually between 1–2 months of age, a second dose is given at 4 months of age.[16] The timing of the third dose depends on the vaccine formulation but should be given between 6–18 months of age.[29] A booster vaccination is given at 4 to 6 years of age, for a total of four doses at or before school entry.[30] In some countries, a fifth vaccination is given during adolescence.[29] Routine vaccination of adults (18 years of age and older) in developed countries is neither necessary nor recommended because most adults are already immune and have a very small risk of exposure to wild poliovirus in their home countries." 

I think the stress there is "home countries" so a visit abroad, coupled with lower efficacy vaccine might provoke a doctor to recommend a booster.